Beginners and Beyond

More and better things to come this Monday, Penguins (Read 31 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Goood morning everyone.  Let's get this week rockin' out, shall we?  Weather wise spring is finally here.  50's all week and chances of rain.  I love it.  I put in 5 miles yesterday and confirmed I'm still not 100%.  Still a little crud in the lungs yet.  However, I feel good so its nothing more than that lingering effect.

QsOTD:  Shoes!  What kind?  How many pair?  How often do you switch them out?

Me:  Saucony Guide 6.  I have my very first pair of Saucony in the closet - it was my very first pair of running shoes and can't bring myself to throw them out.  LOL  I also have my Asics that I wear as everyday shoes now.  I only threw my other pair of Asics away - they were my "lawn mowing shoes."  Ragged they where.

Have a great day... headed out the door to work.

Bin Running

Mizuno Nirvana x 1 * Mizuno Inspire x 1 * Asics DS trainer x 1 * Mizuno Elixir x 1

4 pairs in waiting.. Tongue

4 pairs in rotation.. No fixed schedule, just not on consecutive days.. Elixir is more of a race day shoes.  2 recovery miles in the morning as 12M on Sunday seem to cause my left calf to tighten up. Foam rolling it last night and it was painful!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Vance, don't push it with the crud in the lungs.

Bin, nice on the 12! Hope the calf behaves.

14 hour work day today and tomorrow so no running. This will be 3 complete RD's, I'm sure my legs and feet will appreciate it.

Nike Structure twice, Brooks Ravenna, and Brooks Adrenaline. Four pair in rotation, but I think 2 of them will be retired soon as they have 600 miles on them.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning!

Bin, I have the Inspires and Elixirs, too!

SRD for me. I am listening to the radio as I get ready for work, and the people hosting the radio show just referred to a half marathon as a marathon 5 times while discussing someone running the More Magazine Women's Half in NYC, Then they talked about someone else running a marathon this weekend. It was a 5K. Grr.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

It's been a rough weekend.  I started that bathroom project on Friday, and I had an idea where I'd need to be at the end of each day to have the project done by today.  Two issues set me back, and I just got my first shower since Friday morning late last night.  I didn't feel like running when my hair was a solid block of drywall, concrete and tile dust.  I've been wearing a respirator and safety glasses, but nothing's 100%.  The entire house has been a dusty mess.  P3's been cleaning and recleaning, and setting up fans in the windows.  So, my mileage is going to take a hit.  I'm okay with it.  This needed to be done.

I'm calling this cross training.  My shoulders hurt, my hands don't want to close and the rest of me just feels a bit sore.  I'm down to drywall, and paint which should go quickly, but I'm going to try to get in a short run today and see if I can clear my lungs out and stretch my legs a bit.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good  Morning Vance and Pengs.  SRD for me and dw after LR yesterday.

Rotate 2 pairs (guide 5 and Ravenna 3)  size 11.5 for about a year (500+ miles),  and keep a size 12 Asics 1170 for  winter thick socks.

Have a great week.!!!

jerry - enjoy the rest

AWood- I hate that feeling of swollen hands from hammering and then the hands not closing right. I do enough DIY projects for me to remember to not quit my job.

Kristin- That all runs are marathon talk is kinda funny. I offended one of my facebook friends the other day. I guess she had done a 5k, and posted that she did a marathon. I thought maybe she really had done a marathon and I asked about it, the post disappeared. I could care less what people call those races.

Hog- 3 rest days are probably good. I dont know how much rest your feet get at work, but they will like you some for resting.

Bin- those 2 miles will help that leg I bet.

N- Bug- On days when I feel like I have a little crud, the run helps to break it up and I get some good snock rocekts too Smile

AFM- SRD.

Shoes- Asics Forte (just ordered my 2nd pair) and Brooks beasts. I generally rotate from one day to the next, but the Beasts are almost dead. In 13 months I have bought 2 pairs of shoes for work and 6 pairs of shoes for running Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

SRD for me today. I ran my HM yesterday and posted a RR. Thanks for the help along the way.

Bin: the headband works!

Kristin: say hi to Dave for me.

Bin: the headband works!

great job on the race dude.

Did you wear a head band in training? or did it make a debut on race day?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

T-rod: I wore it on a few training runs but I usually have to wear a hat for sun protection. This was the headband's first race, however.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 5 miles dome this morning and now I am falling asleep at the doctor's.  more miles and weights tonight.

QOTD: Mizunos are my favorites.  I have tons of shoes on rotation (I think they pass 30 pairs)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Shoes, all Sauconys, single pair unless specified otherwise:

Kinvara 3 (two pair)

Kinvara 2

Cortana

Type A5 race flats

I also still have the Fastwitchs, but I'm going to send them back to RW, lil too much support and they're the same weight as the Kinvara 3, so I don't see the benefit to keeping them for racing, especially now that I have the super light Type A5s.  I don't have a set rotation, like Bin I just make sure to not run consecutive days on any one pair (Type A5s will be race only, possibly the occasional interval at the track).  The Cortanas are almost done, but they're still holding on, I'll probably pick up another pair, the cushion is nice for long runs.  The Kinvara 3s are new, love 'em!  I'm thinking about picking up a couple more pairs to keep on hold for when these wear out, since they're on liquidation at RW.

I have retired pairs of Mirages and Cortanas that I use for regular sneakers and grass cutting/yard work, respectively.

Rain all day today and tomorrow, time to get wet, at least it's not cold. Smile  I'll go out for 10 miles later today.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Morning!  My test run of one mile was successful!  Tomorrow I try two miles. Shy

QOTD- I have been rotating two pairs of shoes, but just bought two more with the clearance prices on Kinvara 3s.  So I currently have 4 pairs of Sauconys "in rotation" (since I haven't been running, one pair hasn't even been used yet).  3 Kinvaras and 1 Triumph 10.  As far as adding new pairs, the plan is to keep an eye on the sales and buy when I can get a good price.  I will likely rotate out around 400 miles on the "better safe than sorry" theory.

Vance- Sounds like you are starting to feel better!

Bin- Hope the calf behaves for you!

Mitch- Good luck getting through the long work days!

Kristin- Enjoy the RD!

Awood- Sounds like you got your XT in for sure!  I'm still super impressed that you were able to accomplish the task!  And remember, drywall time is cake practice time!

Jerry- Enjoy the RD!

Tomas- I spend more on running shoes too!

Jack- You've earned this RD!

D- Your training is going so well lately!

D2- Enjoy the 10 miler!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Another day off work for me, and it's raining, but we'll get our W3D1 walk in at some point, even if I have to ditch DH and Dusty and go do it myself.  I'm on too good of a roll to get sidetracked now!!  Other than that, it's laundry and curtain knitting for me today.

Shoes -- one pair of VFF Komodosports.  No others in rotation, none waiting in the wings.  Despite what DH says, I'm not really a shoe nut.  I'll get a new pair when this one wears holes in it.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.