Beginners and Beyond

Have you ever met a running goal you once thought was impossible? (Read 81 times)

outoftheblue

(I posted this over at RW as well, but I know there are some RA only peeps)

What was the goal, when did you decide it was possible, and how (and how much) did you change your training to make it happen.  Or, if you tried but failed, what did you learn?

For as long as I've been running, I've always assumed that a sub-4 marathon was completely out of the question for me.  But, as I've worked my times down over the last 2 years (5:00, 4:43, 4:37, to 4:20), I've started to wonder if that's right.  I'm not getting any younger (turning 48 next month), so I probably don't have many years left to make a run for it.  I like to set realistic goals for myself, but don't want to sell myself short either.

I would love to hear about your experiences.

Life is good.

onemile

I ran my first half in 2:06 / first marathon in 4:28.  I got my half time down to 1:59 (by my 3rd one) and I thought eventually if I worked hard I could run a 1:50 half and a sub-4 marathon.  I didn't think I could improve much more than that. This was in my second year of running.  I averaged around 40mpw for that marathon without speedwork.

Then I got injured and spent a year trying to get back to running again.  The next year I built my base up to 40 and then 50mpw and started doing speedwork.  I ran a 1:46 half - huge improvement and I didn't expect that.

I assumed, then, that the gains would start slowing down.  I used Hansons Advanced for marathon training and ran a 1:43 half / 3:42 full.  Then I started thinking about BQing (something I never thought I could do).  Marathon trained again (slightly more mileage) and ran a 1:37 half (I was hoping for a 1:40 but it just exceeded my expectations). and ran a 3:33 full.  <-- I knew I could run a better full but it was a BQ for me by about 1:45.

This year I got my half time down to 1:34 and ran a 3:23 marathon.  Now I think I could run sub-3:20 next year. Maybe even 3:15.  I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I could run those times a few years ago.

bluerun

Super B****

Of course!

Sub-1:45 half... I don't know how it happened, because I just snatched that number out of the air at random after I ran a hilly 1:51.  It seemed like a nice number for a flat half.  I did make it (barely), but I can't say I actively did anything to get there, so really, I just got lucky.  The sub-1:40 is proving substantially more difficult.

But the big one for me was running a marathon.  Notice I'm not saying it was a great marathon, and I know there are people here who disparage the whole "finishing is an accomplishment" thing, but for me, it was a pretty damn big deal.  Lots of people start running with the goal of a marathon -- I was never one of those.  I would have been perfectly happy to never do one.  Until a doctor told me that I'd probably never run a marathon (because my bones are sucky), and telling me that I can't do something is the fastest way to get me to do it.

Since I'd never run one before, I didn't necessarily have a time goal.  I mean, I had one, but it was pretty arbitrary.  I missed it by a minute and a half, mostly because I got injured five weeks before the race and that kind of screwed things up.  But.  I did finish a marathon, and I didn't break any bones along the way.  All I had to do was gain weight.  So there you have it -- get fat, it will help you achieve your running goals.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Sure

All race distances so far starting with the 5k.

Sub 20 was a dream

Then sub 19

and sub 18

Now I see sub 17 as a possibility.

B-Plus

Sub-50 10k was once a pipe dream. Now that's in the middle of my easy pace range.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

When I started training for my first marathon my goal was 3:40. People here convinced me it could be 3:30. I thought that was crazy. When I was running the race it felt really good and I ended up qualifying for Boston (3:25). That wasn't my goal but it is something that I never thought I would do, especially in my first marathon. Crazy.

outoftheblue

I ran my first half in 2:06 / first marathon in 4:28.  I got my half time down to 1:59 (by my 3rd one) and I thought eventually if I worked hard I could run a 1:50 half and a sub-4 marathon.  I didn't think I could improve much more than that. This was in my second year of running.  I averaged around 40mpw for that marathon without speedwork.

Then I got injured and spent a year trying to get back to running again.  The next year I built my base up to 40 and then 50mpw and started doing speedwork.  I ran a 1:46 half - huge improvement and I didn't expect that.

I assumed, then, that the gains would start slowing down.  I used Hansons Advanced for marathon training and ran a 1:43 half / 3:42 full.  Then I started thinking about BQing (something I never thought I could do).  Marathon trained again (slightly more mileage) and ran a 1:37 half (I was hoping for a 1:40 but it just exceeded my expectations). and ran a 3:33 full.  <-- I knew I could run a better full but it was a BQ for me by about 1:45.

This year I got my half time down to 1:34 and ran a 3:23 marathon.  Now I think I could run sub-3:20 next year. Maybe even 3:15.  I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I could run those times a few years ago.

That's an amazing progression.   I've always just thought of you as a really fast runner.  It's nice to learn how you got there.  What is your mpw average now?

Life is good.

delicate flower

Not with regards to race goals.  Even when I ran my first marathon in 4:16, I thought a BQ was attainable with a few years of hard training.  I still believe that.

I used to think the 50 mpw people were nuts and that I'd never run that much.  When I first started out, 10 mpw seemed like a pretty good week.  Now I run close to 60 miles during a typical training week.

I never think "I can't do that."  I always think "What must I do to achieve that?"

<3

GinnyinPA

For me to run at all was something I always thought impossible.  I'm an older runner with bad knees.  Guess what, it didn't matter.  Every new milestone is something I once thought impossible - from running 3 miles to 5 miles to 10 miles to 15. I never thought that racing would be a part of my life.  I'm old and slow, why would I race?  Then I found out that I actually enjoy it and that I can occasionally win AG awards.  Winning AG on my first HM and then winning Masters female on a 10k -- I would never have thought either possible.  Admittedly, they were small races, but still.  After getting seriously injured twice, I was pretty sure my running was finished, but then I decided to keep trying and now a marathon seems like a possibility.  Specific time goals aren't as important to me as they are to most of you, but every race I've done I've surprised myself by meeting or exceeding my expected time.  I have no idea what will happen in the future, but so far I've been able to surpass any limits I thought I had, so I'm hopeful.

I never think "I can't do that."  I always think "What must I do to achieve that?"

+ 1,000,000

Ready, go.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Finishing a half.

Then break 2 hours in a half.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

onemile

That's an amazing progression.   I've always just thought of you as a really fast runner.  It's nice to learn how you got there.  What is your mpw average now?

My last 2 marathons have been 60mpw avg and 62mpw avg for the training cycle.

My yearly mileage (I started running in 2009 but did not track at all the first year)

2014      2231.2 miles (so far this year - would have been a little higher but I took a full month off for an injury)
                          2013      2568.5 miles
                          2012      2000.0 miles
                          2011      808.8 miles (I had such bad ITBS I spent most of the YEAR injured)
                          2010      1321.7 miles

So not super high mileage.  I think the speed work has helped just as much.

From the Internet.

Not since I started running, but I tend to set pretty realistic short-term goals. Before starting to run I didn't necessarily think any of it was *impossible*, it just wasn't something I was interested in/knew how to work toward. I also think my current long-term goals will be eventually be possible with enough miles under my belt and some well-thought-out quality work.

That's an amazing progression.   I've always just thought of you as a really fast runner.  It's nice to learn how you got there. 

+1! You give me hope that I might eventually be fast too Big grin

LRB

What was the goal, when did you decide it was possible, and how (and how much) did you change your training to make it happen.

My current PR paces would have been unfathomable at the conclusion of my first year of running in 2011. In fact, I would have laughed out loud back then in complete and utter disbelief for an hour straight at the thought.

Now closing in on the conclusion of my 4th year of running however, I am not content with a single one of them. Perspective will do that!

To answer the quoted post, it was after my second marathon (October 2012) that I realized who I was as a runner.  Up until that point the race distances just kept growing and I was intoxicated by the newness of it all. But as much as I liked the challenge of running a marathon, the training for them totally sucked (that sentiment still has not changed) and took the joy out of running.

So began my journey into speed work and race pace specific training for the distance that has come to define me, the 5k. It was during this time that I came to understand that my then goal of a 19:59 5k was a glass ceiling, and that the sky was actually the limit.

Since then, I have no fixed time goals, only the next one. Where that may end up is anyone's guess, but I do not think my age will be a hindrance. I simply view it as a challenge to be the fastest that I can for where I am now, not what could have been another lifetime ago had I started running sooner.

outoftheblue

Thanks everyone.  I've really enjoyed hearing about your philosophies, training and successes.  I'm fired up for 2015 now.

Life is good.