Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Looking for Frigiferous Relief! (Read 29 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

tracilynn

Haha scotty!  I was looking and found it this morning!  Temp 64 and dewpoint of 61 in Alabama IN JULY?!? WHAT??

Got up at 5:30 and did a cool 4 miles.  Every runner anf their brother was out running this morning.  Ive never seen so many runners in my neighborhood.  Everybody is enjoying this cool snap.

TGIF

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Frigiferous: bearing or bringing cold.  And lots of of around the country need something to do that, with the heat we are experiencing!  Another 100-degree day today for San Antonio!

Happy July 26th.  Today is "Talk In An Elevator Day" and "System Administrator Appreciation Day"!

elevator cartoons, elevator cartoon, elevator picture, elevator pictures, elevator image, elevator images, elevator illustration, elevator illustrations

elevator cartoons, elevator cartoon, elevator picture, elevator pictures, elevator image, elevator images, elevator illustration, elevator illustrations

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  We are getting record highs today so I am glad it's my SRD, ha!

Damaris

From the Internet.

Morning Scotty, Traci and Damaris!

Busy day today. Pool running whenever I can fit it in, running experiments (mostly hands-off stuff - lots of waiting around), and a few last-minute errands before we go to New Hampshire. DH wants to leave right after dinner, so I will basically be going nonstop today. I'm hoping he wants to take his car and not mine - if he thinks I'm also going to drive us up there he's got another thing coming :P

Legs are feeling a little stiff and creaky after yesterday's long run so I'm looking forward to getting them moving in the pool. Have a good day everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Haha scotty!  I was looking and found it this morning!  Temp 64 and dewpoint of 61 in Alabama IN JULY?!? WHAT??

Got up at 5:30 and did a cool 4 miles.  Every runner anf their brother was out running this morning.  Ive never seen so many runners in my neighborhood.  Everybody is enjoying this cool snap.

TGIF

They knew the lovely you would be out in that cool weather. Big grin    Dang, 64 degrees, must be nice!   San Antonio is about to go into Stage 3 water restrictions, it's been so hot and dry around here!

Enjoy your rest day, Damaris!  Sounds like a good stay to stay in the air-conditioning!

Enjoy the pool running, Lauren, and safe drive to NH!   Happy trip!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had my 10:00 meeting, and I have a couple of samples to run today, but there's not a lot of major work stuff going on today.  So I'm going to do some chorus stuff, some quartet stuff, and then hopefully bail out a little early this afternoon.  So glad it's Friday!!

traci -- woo-hoo for your cool 4!!  The weather has been so nice early the past couple of days

Docket -- have a good SRD!!

Lauren -- have a good trip!!

Scotty -- go stick your head in the fridge, it'll be cooler!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Traci: Enjoy it while it lasts.

Docket: Record highs? Hopefully, the humidity won't match the temps.

Lauren: NH? I've always wanted to go there. Are you in NE?

Scotty: You should also stay in. Man, that has got to be hot!

HsM: Sounds like you are glad it's Friday. Have a cold one tonight!

I got in a nice seven miles last night after it cooled down a bit. Next Wednesday, DW and I are going to Mammoth Lakes, CA with DD's XC team. We are going as chaperones and will be up there for a week. We did it last year and it's a lot of fun. It's tough running at first, but once you get used to the elevation, it is not so bad. This year I am hoping to do the "Big Smokey" run. It's a 13 mile trail run at about 9000 feet above sea level. Have a good day.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This is Miami so yes, it will be close.  I have not seen less than 75 dewpoint in months.

Hi Pens...

Traci: Enjoy it while it lasts.

Docket: Record highs? Hopefully, the humidity won't match the temps.

Lauren: NH? I've always wanted to go there. Are you in NE?

Scotty: You should also stay in. Man, that has got to be hot!

HsM: Sounds like you are glad it's Friday. Have a cold one tonight!

I got in a nice seven miles last night after it cooled down a bit. Next Wednesday, DW and I are going to Mammoth Lakes, CA with DD's XC team. We are going as chaperones and will be up there for a week. We did it last year and it's a lot of fun. It's tough running at first, but once you get used to the elevation, it is not so bad. This year I am hoping to do the "Big Smokey" run. It's a 13 mile trail run at about 9000 feet above sea level. Have a good day.

Damaris

good morning friends- 3.25 mile run + 1.5 mile walk

less than an hour and a half of work till the weekend. probably taking the kid to the water park later. hopefully get a good sun burn Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Dad on the run.

Hey Pens! Love the comics scotty Smile.

I have to agree with you Traci the weather this AM was amazing. Too bad I had to be up at 3am to get ready for work Sad

Hoping to run this weekend! The only run I got in this week was Monday. Its hard running and weightlifting when I have to be up at 3am, I've averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night and I can say that its definitely catching up with me. Did legs last night and I can say for certain that my butt muscles are really feeling it.. thats a good thing no since all I have is "ass skin" (as my wife calls it) maybe I can firm up that bum!

Almost done with work! Another 1hr 40min left on the clock and then its the weekend!!! Ready for some good food, good friends and good fun!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Jack - Yup, living in RI for school and technically still a MA resident. Every once in a while I think about moving elsewhere eventually but I just love New England too much Smile

Sloooow.

Afternoon all Smile

Scotty, frigiferous would be amazing right now. The wind blows like a convection oven.

Traci, I would think there was something seriously wrong if there were people running around here, lol. Very nice temps for you!

Docket, glad your it's your rest day!

Lauren, hope the pools eases up your tired muscles.

HopesMom, yay for Friday, hope your busy day goes by quickly and easily.

Jack, nice 7 last night. Your trip sounds like it will be lovely, hopefully the trail run works out.

Tomas, hopefully you won't get sunburn, but have a great time! I always see sun burn as a personal failure. SPF 75 for me!

Jimmy, trying to live in so little sleep is tough. No wonder you're not getting runs in. Try to catch up on sleep!

I've been looking a little at 10K plans, so I'm feeling a bit better about my lack of running for the last few weeks. My cutback week, turned into a sick kids week, then a sick me week. My legs felt good on my two mile run yesterday, but I still had the weakness, cold sweats and coughing. Hal Higdon's 10K Novice plan starts out at 7.5 miles for the first week, lol. Maybe I should follow the Intermediate? Then I could follow the Novice 2 training for the half. I'm starting to think that lower mileage is going to be better for me.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

WHOA!!!  Looks like I'm not the only one that's super busy.  I got stuck in the middle of nowhere last night, and had to get a run in along a highway shoulder.  That was sketchy.  I got home today, and ran 6 miles.  Now, I have to make 1 three tiered wedding cake, and two sheet cakes for a wedding tomorrow.  I won't get it all done tonight, but I have a 16 mile run in the morning and these have to be at a reception that starts at 5.  Yeah, I'm feeling a bit squeezed for time.  Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

Scotty - Thanks for the cartoons!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hello friends.

No running today.

Some of you were asking last night why I am so sore and what I was doing for work. My soreness has nothing to do with running (in fact I unfortunately have been able to clock about 5 miles combined all week so far), and everything to do with a training I had to go to for work. Which I will explain.... I work at a school for children with Autism ages 5-21. It is a challenging but incredibly rewarding job. I love all of my kiddos to death. We do have some very very very challenging behaviors that we deal with at our school, however. There are children who are more like young adults (18, 19, 20) at our school some of whom are between 150 and 250 pounds, non-verbal, severely autistic, and have additional mental health/psychiatric diagnoses such as schitzophrenia. They do have the propensity to hit, bite, scratch, punch, kick, and throw furniture. As a result, my school requires everyone become certified in something called SCIP which stands for Strategies for Crisis Intervention and Prevention, which teaches us how to help de-escalate behavior verbally and lots of other calming techniques, but when that does not work it teaches us the correct way to defend ourselves, other children, and a child in crisis in situations where the student is exhibiting behavior that is a danger to him/herself and others around us. We had to learn the correct ways to do everything from punch blocking to full wrap-ups and take downs/ restraint of a child who is in a crisis and will not calm down. Therefore, I spent 3 days, 9:00-5:00 having to learn, practice, practice again, and be tested on all kinds of techniques, including how to safely take down to the floor and restrain a person who is larger than me. THAT is why I am sore! lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to