Beginners and Beyond

As Seen on TV- blender/juicer question (Read 254 times)

quilt-n-run

I saw a commercial for the Magic Bullet NutriBullet the other day and I was wondering if it really was healthier to eat foods that had been emulsified into a juice. I know juicers take out all the liquid and leave the fiber behind, but this thing turns it all into liquid. Is there any science behind "breaking apart" the cells and releasing the nutrients? Will your body absorb vitamins and nutrients better this way?

The one health benefit that I did see was that I could toss in some not-so-tasty healthy foods in with some yummy fruits or veggies and get the benefit without the taste. But, I was wondering if there was more to it.

Fighting cancer 60 Miles at a time. www.the3day.org/goto/mbailey2013

Philliefan33

When I saw the infomercial for the Nutribullet thingy and the pitchman said it was "breaking down the food to release the nutrients" or some such malarkey my first thought was.....Isn't that what the digestive system does???

Our local Costco has the Vitamix on display near the door.  It looks like a blender, but costs $300.  DH saw it and remarked "What is so special about that blender tha it costs $300?"  A man came in about 10 seconds behind us and I heard him say to his wife "that's an awful expensive blender!"

cmb4314

When I saw the infomercial for the Nutribullet thingy and the pitchman said it was "breaking down the food to release the nutrients" or some such malarkey my first thought was.....Isn't that what the digestive system does???

Our local Costco has the Vitamix on display near the door.  It looks like a blender, but costs $300.  DH saw it and remarked "What is so special about that blender tha it costs $300?"  A man came in about 10 seconds behind us and I heard him say to his wife "that's an awful expensive blender!"

The Vitamix is a professional kitchen caliber blender.  I'm told that it blends things super, duper smooth.  Like, to the point that when you make a smoothie, even all the little seeds from the fruit get completely pulverized.

I can see why they care about this in expensive restaurants, where they are going for particular textures for foods.  At home....it's just a really expensive toy for foodies.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Jess runs for bacon

Malarkey.

I did juice for a while (not a fast), I have a nice KitchenAid juicer that removes all signs of pulp (got it free). Yes, I know pulp is good but it makes me gaggy. I felt pretty good while doing it, and my juices came out really yummy. I tend to miss out on fruits/veggies so it helped me get some vitamins, and then I started to crave more afterwards. I should probably do it again. My coworker loves pulp so he just throws all that shit in a blender.

I thought the nutribullet kept the pulp though?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Best blender on the market is the Blendtec.  Check it out:

http://www.willitblend.com/

Anything that can blend a golf club and survive, is the winner.

As for nutrition, I think it all depends on what you put into it.  If you put in an iPhone, it's probably toxic.  I agree that if this is the only way you will consume fruits and veggies, then I'd give you the green light on that purchase.  If you think that breaking up the food releases nutrients though, I'd recommend that you chew thoroughly.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Anomalous

I'm still undecided about the juicing thing. However, I believe the goal behind juicing fruits and vegetables is so that you get those recommended daily requirements (and then some) without having to sit down to a large plate of this or that. I would think that a blender that liquifies everything would be more beneficial since a lot of nutrients are found in the pulp. My father has the NutriBullet and swears by that thing. If he buys me one, I'll use it Smile

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

sugnim

To me, it depends on how/what you like to eat.  If I had a juicer, I would probably gain weight because I wouldn't consider juice to be a meal.  So I'd drink a what is essentially a nutritious, blended meal and then probably eat a sandwich.  For me, it is better to eat solid foods, and I get plenty of fruits & veggies that way.  But if you enjoy juices, and you don't always have the time or desire to cook a lot of veggies, then juicing could be a great option for you.

As for the idea of the nutrients being more accessible from a juice than from a solid vegetable, I'm pretty skeptical about that.  If you are chewing your food and you have no digestive issues, your body should be able to break down solid fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients from them without the aid of a blender or juicer.

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I know juicers take out all the liquid and leave the fiber behind, but this thing turns it all into liquid. Is there any science behind "breaking apart" the cells and releasing the nutrients? Will your body absorb vitamins and nutrients better this way?

I'm pretty sure that is marketing BS. I haven't thought about digestion since the unit in my high school Bio class though, so maybe someone (qualified) can comment on that?

One thing I am sure about... don't we feel a lot less full from liquid calories? So blending everything  could make it eat even more then couldn't it?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

catwhoorg

Labrat

Blendtec is awesome.

There may have been evenings where I have done nothing else but watch will it blend ads.

The Chuck Norris one especially highlights their humour.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

We have the Vitamix and it is great. My kids love to make soup and I make all the smoothies.

mucknort

I own a blendtec (bought it on ebay) and gave my mom a vitamix (found it on craigslist. Absolutely great. They cost a lot because they have a very powerful motor and are made well enough to last years and years (especially in a home kitchen). Starbucks and other businesses use them daily and they still last years, I'm told. They probably cost more because of marketing/hype, too, but so does Lexus/BMW/Mercedes.

My favorite uses are for smoothies and soups. I always thought straining stuff away from fruits and vegetables, the way a juicer works, was silly and wasteful. Any fruit or vegetable I throw turns into a delicious smooth consistency (I guess that's why restaurants/fast food joints use 'em), never any chunks. Soups come out great and I'll sometimes take part of a chunky soup and blend a few cups to make the broth a little thicker. This works great with chili. I also use it to make pies (pumpkin comes out awesome) and it rocks for making drinks (best margharitas ever, ice is perfectly crushed).

Yep, blendtec and vitamix are expensive, but as a cook I find 'em worth it. Especially if you can find a deal.

never run

I got a Vitamix for Christmas, I love it so much that I was seriously considering hauling it between my hotel room and work for the 2 weeks I'm going to be in temporary quarters.