Beginners and Beyond

Interesting Quote (Read 116 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

"Medals are not just earned on race day. They are earned on early mornings, humid afternoons, and holidays when you'd rather sleep in. Earn yours."

Though I would change the humid afternoons to humid mornings, but I've seen threads and topics about how some people think it's stupid to give out medals to finishers of races as small as 5k's and sometimes even I would kind of wonder about the logic of it since a 5k doesn't seem even close to a big deal to me now. Reading this helped me realize that it's not so much finishing the race that earns the medal but all our hard work, dedication and sacrifice that earns that medal..... whether it be a 5k or a 100 mile ultra.

As runners, we are all about sacrifice, dedication and determination and I'd like to think that even my race bibs are precious rewards and proof of my hard work.

Just my happy thoughts for the day.Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I personally don't understand the point of finisher medals other than it being a conversation starter if it is even seen by anyone else - and it doesn't matter if it is a 5k or ultra. Even AG awards are more of a feel good type of thing - you can finish second in your age group and barely still be in the top third.

Also, it doesn't matter what distance you race, we all train hard under the same conditions - so like you point out we all work hard  no matter what our ability or distance is.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Love the Half

For me, medals are a way to commemorate the race.  I don't race that often and I rarely race just for fun.  I race as hard as I can and it's nice to hang something on the wall.  I suppose keeping my bibs would accomplish the same thing but I've been trashing them since I started running and see no reason to start keeping them now.  A finisher's medal in a 5K does seem a bit over the top given that nearly everyone can walk a 5K.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Eh, when I mentioned a 5k I was thinking more now that I actually push myself and race them as hard as I can (hoping for 1st place in AG). I'm hoping to get under 24:00 minutes or a sub 8:00 min/mile pace in my 2014 5k races.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

LRB

All but my most treasured race bling gets thrown in a giant tub, along with swag, bibs and other running/race related crapola.   Someday, I will get a kick out of going through it with the grand kids.

In there somewhere, are a couple of the most cheesiest 5k finishers medals ever.  But alas, those are not an offering to runners.  Nah, 5k "Finishers" medals are a way to attract sedentary folk or non-runners, who might otherwise pass on the chance to huff and puff and blow a gasket for 3.1 miles.

If it gets them out there and they finish, good for them.

For me, they can keep the medal and in most cases that useless shirt, and lower the entry fee.

delicate flower

I like the medals.  Smile

Race results are what drive me though.  That and a little neurosis.  I mean, I get the medal no matter how bad the race goes.  The finishing time is what reflects my hard work. 

<3

onemile

"Medals are not just earned on race day. They are earned on early mornings, humid afternoons, and holidays when you'd rather sleep in. Earn yours."

Though I would change the humid afternoons to humid mornings, but I've seen threads and topics about how some people think it's stupid to give out medals to finishers of races as small as 5k's and sometimes even I would kind of wonder about the logic of it since a 5k doesn't seem even close to a big deal to me now. Reading this helped me realize that it's not so much finishing the race that earns the medal but all our hard work, dedication and sacrifice that earns that medal..... whether it be a 5k or a 100 mile ultra.

As runners, we are all about sacrifice, dedication and determination and I'd like to think that even my race bibs are precious rewards and proof of my hard work.

But don't the gallowalkers get medals too?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm just talking about runners in this, though I am sure gallowalkers do a lot of training........ because I am 10x slower when walking than running, I mean seriously it is odd how slow my short little legs go when walking.

Yes, Baboon race results are EXTREMELY important, especially now that I put a lot of my effort into my races now. But I can show off my medals and bibs a lot faster and without much explanation than my race results Big grin

PRs

meaghansketch

It's been interesting seeing expectations change around medals in the 7 years I've been running.  The first medal I got was for my first marathon (2010).  I had done several half-marathons but none had given finishers' medals.  The next year (2011) I got my first medal for a half marathon and was actually surprised by it.  There are a series of inexpensive local half marathons (around $30) which usually don't give out finishers' medals, and the next day after each of them, their facebook pages are full of angry people, wondering why they didn't get medals.  Personally I'd rather run a $30 race with no medal than a $60 or $70 race with a medal, but I can see how you might feel differently if it was your first half, or if you'd like to commemorate a big accomplishment.

Regarding the quote-- I agree with the general sentiment.  To me a good race is the reward for all those days running that you'd rather be sleeping in, or all those fun nights out you cut short because of a run the next day.  A medal can be the physical manifestation of the pride you feel at a well-run race, or it can be something you look at with some degree of disappointment, because you didn't live up to your expectations of yourself, whatever those may be.  I have a marathon medal I'm extremely proud of for what it represents to me, and a marathon medal I'm... not exactly ashamed of, but I'm not proud of it. (The one I'm proud of is actually the slower time).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just my happy thoughts for the day.Smile

I expect this is a watered down rephrasing of this well-known quotation:

“The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare” - Juma Ikangaa, marathon runner from Tanzania.

I doubt that it has anything to do with finishers medals - or at least hope it doesn't -  which are handed out regardless of whether you put any effort into preparation as long as your cross the finish line.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

B-Plus

I like the quote, but put me in the "don't need a finisher's ribbon" pile.

happylily

I love that Tanzanian runner's quote.

I wouldn't be upset if a race did not offer medals, or awards, or ribbons, etc... and I'd still train as best as I can for weeks and weeks and race as hard I can on race day. But receiving that kind of concrete memento of my race helps me remember all the good things that training and racing has brought me. It has nothing to do with showing the medals to others. Mine are hidden in a room where no one but me ever goes. For that reason, I think that whether we are fast runners or slow runners, winners or last of the group, 5ks to marathons, medals are for everyone, especially those who put their heart into their training.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010