Beginners and Beyond

Help me identify what's wrong with my leg. (Read 106 times)

Howdy!  Appreciate any and all advice...

I do not have a history of hamstring issues.  Yesterday I did 6 early morning miles.  Was supposed to be 10M long run, but abbreviated due to schedule and humidity.  No problems.  Went to my office job, no problems.

Started the drive home, and almost immediately felt some discomfort on the underside of my right upper leg a couple inches above the knee joint.  I drive a truck, so pretty much sitting with 90 degree hip and knees, except for the right foot extended to the pedals.  And fortunately have a short 15 minute commute.  Was pretty much fine once I got out of the vehicle.

I didn't run this morning.  Same issue when driving to work.  Pretty uncomfortable, though I'm not sure I'd go as far as pain, when I'm driving.  Other than that, some mild hamstring tightness from knee through hip, but nothing I'd think twice about were it not for the driving issue.

I'm most interested in hearing two things.  1. what would you call this injury?  I haven't been able to find something that sounds like my symptoms.  2.  If you were me, would you run tomorrow?

Thanks!

LRB

Sounds similar to a sciatica nerve thingy, something I have dealt with with off and on for years.  It is usually triggered when sitting in my work vehicle, but has flared up while seated at work or home as well.

At its worst, it is a searing burning pain, but most often it is just annoying as hell.

You can try to change the position of the affected leg, or sit on a pillow, or get a cushion.  If it is that, that is.

I still have not found an actual "cure" for it.

Well, that would be a good answer, as it would be something I could run through!

Hip Redux

Sciatica is a symptom more than a diagnosis - there are different causes for it, some of which you don't want to run through.

I don't know if that's what this is, but I wanted to add my two cents. Joking

Thanks.  I guess I do get a little over focused on worrying about muscle/connective tissue damage.  There are so many other things I could be worrying about!

Docket_Rocket

Sciatica is a symptom more than a diagnosis - there are different causes for it, some of which you don't want to run through.

I don't know if that's what this is, but I wanted to add my two cents. Joking

This.  It is usually due to an imbalance somewhere else.  And I've never heard of sciatica hurting just behind the knee.  Mine was mostly on the lower back.  It could be hamstring tightness or even the quads.  My hamstring has been sore and unhappy for a week and the massage therapist identified the cause as tight quads.  Work on the surrounding areas and it should get better but if it continues to hurt, check with a doctor.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

It might not be an injury at all. I don't worry about pains after just 1 day. I ran an 11 mile leg of a relay last week, and drove home later in the day for 2 hours. I was very sore the next day, but felt better when I did a recovery run which often helps me a lot. If I have an issue for a week maybe, I start getting more concerned.

meaghansketch

Don't know what it is, exactly, but I wanted to say that I have experienced the same thing.  I think it was just hamstring tightness.  My hamstrings are naturally tight, and I don't stretch enough, and this starts to raise its head when my mileage gets a little higher than normal.  When I was experiencing this just before my last marathon, a sports massage fixed me right up, though you may want to try some less expensive steps like self-massage with a tennis ball or a foam roller.

meaghansketch

Oh, and to answer your second question (if it were me): Foam roll/stretch tonight, short recovery-type run tomorrow.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

It does not sound like sciatica.  Not even remotely.

1.  You don't even know if you're injured.  You suffered some transient discomfort after a workout in conditions that made you cut it short.  You even admit that once you're out of the car it isn't so bothersome.  You couldn't even describe it as pain... just "discomfort".  So don't assume it's an injury.

What's more you didn't describe anything.  You've provided nothing to go on.

2.  I'm not you and I'll be running tomorrow.  What you decide to do, however, is entirely up to you and how you're feeling.  Still bothering you and you're concerned?  Then don't run.  It won't be the end of the world.  Wait until it feels better and go from there.  Feels ok and you want to try it out?  Then why not?

And for the love of all things medical please stop trying to diagnose yourself with Dr. Google.   Seriously.  Once you have an official diagnosis provided by your health care provider Dr. Google can be a decent resource to learn more about things.  But for lay people trying to diagnose themselves it's ridiculously useless.  Plus, if you're anything like some of my patients, you'll convince yourself you have cervical or uterine cancer and have only six weeks to live.  (Yes, that's happened.  And it's happened more often than you think.  I will admit it's hard not to laugh when it's a guy claiming to have cervical cancer.)

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Been away for awhile but wanted to respond to the later posters.

RSX - Agreed.  Normally I don't worry about short term soreness, but it was such a weird thing I wanted to throw it out there.

Meaghan - glad to hear I'm not as weird as I worry I am.  I did pretty much what you recommended.  Though the next day got cut shorter than planned due to a problem completely unrelated to actual running .

Cookie -  I wasn't asking for a diagnosis.  Well, I suppose I did use those words, but I think the context makes it clear I was looking for opinions about whether my weird symptom sounded like (A) a normal minor running pain that I could continue to self treat, or (B) a telltale indication that I was about to tear a hamstring and should get myself to the Dr. before I even thought about running again.

Further, reading articles from reputable sources about common running injuries, and, when nothing sounds like your problem, throwing it out for a gut check to a forum filled with runners with many decades of combined experience with running related injuries, is not remotely comparable to using "Dr. Google" to self diagnose yourself with cancer of a body part you do not have.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

And for the love of all things medical please stop trying to diagnose yourself with Dr. Google.   Seriously.  Once you have an official diagnosis provided by your health care provider Dr. Google can be a decent resource to learn more about things.  But for lay people trying to diagnose themselves it's ridiculously useless.  Plus, if you're anything like some of my patients, you'll convince yourself you have cervical or uterine cancer and have only six weeks to live.  (Yes, that's happened.  And it's happened more often than you think.  I will admit it's hard not to laugh when it's a guy claiming to have cervical cancer.)

But but but, Dr. Google is never wrong! He gives me so many options to choose from one of them is bound to be right.

I once (or several times) played Dr. when I was a child, so take this for what its worth. Sounds like you are overstriding and ran too fast/ hard at that distance. That caused you to stress your hamstring and it showed near the insertion of the muscle. RICE and don't continue to do that.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Cookie -  I wasn't asking for a diagnosis.  Well, I suppose I did use those words, but I think the context makes it clear I was looking for opinions about whether my weird symptom sounded like (A) a normal minor running pain that I could continue to self treat, or (B) a telltale indication that I was about to tear a hamstring and should get myself to the Dr. before I even thought about running again.

Further, reading articles from reputable sources about common running injuries, and, when nothing sounds like your problem, throwing it out for a gut check to a forum filled with runners with many decades of combined experience with running related injuries, is not remotely comparable to using "Dr. Google" to self diagnose yourself with cancer of a body part you do not have.

Yes, you did ask for a diagnosis.  You asked for a diagnosis while providing really no information.  Even if you were looking for commentary from the community you provided no information for anyone here to help you.  What's more if you were really looking for answers to your points A and B then why didn't you ask that instead of questions 1 and 2 in your OP?

If you want medical advice then ask your doctor.  If you don't think it is worthy of going to see your doctor then asking an anonymous internet discussion forum to diagnose you based on exceptionally limited information is not a viable substitute.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.