Beginners and Beyond

It's cold, but I want to run (Read 367 times)

TxDiverMom

Please help, motivate me!  I really really want to run tonight.  I wanted to yesterday.  But...yesterday it was raining and 37 degrees.  I only have an average pair of tights, regular socks, a long sleeved tech shirt and a normal nike half zip.  The half zip, however, does have a hood.

I live where it's warm.  Like we think we're DYING here in this awful cold.  I know...we're wusses, but we also don't have warm clothes.  My sweaters are all lightweight cotton.  If they weren't I'd wear them one time a year.

Will the clothes I named and a cap (not a beanie, I don't have a warm hat) and some lightweight gloves we enough to run in?  It's misting rain on and off, 37 and about 12-15 mph north wind.  I'm thinking maybe I'm ok today if it's not raining and only misting a little on and off.

I feel like I sound terribly stupid and whiny with this cold thing.  Please go ahead and laugh!  I know what to do when it's 95, but not when it's 35.  I will be running at about 5:30 or 6, if I do, so it will be just a tiny bit colder.  With our humidity and cloud cover, we don't have a lot of difference in our daytime and nighttime temps.

From the Internet.

37 and misting is perfect running weather! I sometimes still wear shorts at that temperature. Go out and run for me since I still can't! MTA: you'll be cold and hate it for the first quarter or half mile, but after that it's really delightful. Now go! Big grin

Rungry!

I run each morning (30-35 degrees) without any problem in the exact gear you are describing. It's freezing when you start out, but you warm up fast and might end up unzipping your outer layer and taking off your gloves before you're through. Kind of refreshing, give it a try!

Jen

Here is a cold weather self pic. 16 degrees (wind chill of 6). I am a south texas resident and I too am accustomed to warm weather. I had on 2 long sleeve shirts, regular running tights with wind pants over them, a cheap pair of gloves and a beenie cap.

there is ice on my face and I had Ice on my back where the sweat was cooling. We put in 8 miles in that craziness.

sunday morning in houston felt colder than this day though.

put on some layers and have fun.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

flarunner

You always want to dress for about 20* warmer, so the clothes you described are perfect for going outside in 57* weather.

And what the others have said. You'll be chilly at first, then you'll warm up.

So, go.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Hit the streets this morning in North Texas:

33F w/ windchill of 19F. Misty/ sleet/ rain.

I was in short shorts, tech T and arm sleeves with a fleece beanie.

Head out! its awesome weather!

Happy running! Wink

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

37 and rain sucks to me, I would stay home and drink a beer.

I can deal with the 37 and I can deal with the rain but together THEY SUCK!

bluerun

Super B****

Happy running! Wink

Hahaha that is AWESOME.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

I don't get a vote, but this pic should put you in the top 5 studs of the group Smile

Happy running! Wink

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

slowrunningjulie

I ran 3M this weekend in Austin. It was 30 something at the start. Cold lining up, but it felt great once we got going. I also ran last Friday, when it was sleeting. I am the biggest cold wuss in the word, but the reality is that if you dress properly, you will probably be warmer during your run than you have felt all day.

Get out there and to it! You will be glad you did.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

I love running in cold weather, and I love running in the rain... but last week got caught out in the cold in an unexpected cold, windy rainstorm.

That run sucked.

Your "cold weather" clothes sound like mine, and at those temps with a light mist, you should be just fine.  I would invest in a warmer hat though, as long I have my beanie and gloves, I'm good.

Have fun!

meaghansketch

You will be fine!  The rain will be unpleasant (cold rain is absolutely my least favorite weather to run in) but I've run in those temperatures in singlet and shorts.  I agree that a beanie is a good investment-- if you can keep your ears/head warm, you'll stay much warmer overall.

Revenge of the Nerd

There is no bad weather - only bad gear.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

MrNamtor

I don't get a vote, but this pic should put you in the top 5 studs of the group Smile

I totally agree.  Awesome picture