Beginners and Beyond

Camellia Crossing 5K, No PR And That's OK :) (Read 56 times)

Sloooow.

Camellia Crossing was my very first 5K last year with a time of 37:20. Earlier in the year, I made a goal of getting sub-30, but that is going to be a goal for another day.

Most of you know I haven't had the best running year. I had surgery in March, surgery in October, a lung infection, not much fun. Since my 10K at the beginning of the month, I've been throwing up most days. My family was also visiting from the UK so I was really busy. Last week I think I only ran a measly 2 miles.

First of all, it was FREEZING! Last year, it was 70F at this race. Tonight, it was 38F and dropping. I shed my hoody just before lining up, but my long sleeved shirt wasn't enough. I run hot, so that wasn't a problem once we started. I was also horribly nauseated. I chewed on sour cherry sweets, which helped slightly. I had a strong feeling I should've gone to bed early tonight. I lined up with the 35-40 minute people, but I literally stopped dead at 0.2 mile with four abreast walkers. All good.

My plan was to run comfortably hard for the first mile, then take it easy. I did the first mile in 10:30 when my stomach did a back flip and I jogged off to the side to throw up. I guess it is necessary information for my run report, that after my 10K at the beginning of the month, I had a positive pregnancy test and I'm due in July.

My next two miles were very cold, and slower, around 11:50 and 11:20 pace. I forgot how much cold air effects my lungs, and my chest was pretty tight and still is. My chip time was 35:24.

One thing I love about out and backs, is seeing the speedy people pass us. One guy passed with legs like road runner, closely followed by another guy 3-4 seconds behind. The second guy ended up being overall winner, 40 year old guy called Kevin with a time of 14:3X!! The guy is super fast!

A side note, I signed up for a half marathon in February and I have no clue what to do about that. I think I will have a look for some local 5K in the next couple of months to keep focused.

Thanks for reading!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

It's funny you like it when you see the front runners pass by after the turn around. I hate it! "You prat, why are you so bloody fast?!"

I was wondering where you were. Where is your family from?

Who cares about your time. Congrats on the baby!!!

hog4life

Congratulations on the baby! You have had a rough year for sure. You got a course PR of 2 minutes, and that is really good.

Im still trying to convince my wife for the NOLA trip. I'd really like to come down to meet everyone.

Sloooow.

Jack, thank you! My family came from England, I used to live in the North West.

Mitch, I'm still hoping for NOLA. I think I will look at run/walk plans. Hope you can come down!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jack, thank you! My family came from England, I used to live in the North West.

Mitch, I'm still hoping for NOLA. I think I will look at run/walk plans. Hope you can come down!

Yes, obviously from England. I just have to make sure they are not United supporters. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job Coralie, especially in spite of all your challenges lately!!!!

I love how you Louisianan called 38 "freezing" as I'm getting ready for a race that will be 27 degrees with 22 mph sustained winds, gusts up to 40mps and a Real Feel of 10 degrees. 38 I'd be wearing short sleeves and a skirt Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

Where was this race?  If there was a 40 year old running 14:30, shake his hand because there probably aren't 5 people in the United States his age that are faster.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Many reasons for you to celebrate today:

1) You are still running after a year full of challenges. Way to go!

2) You got yourself a new course PR. Well done!

3) You are expecting a little bundle of joy. How wonderful!

I think you rock for doing this race knowing full well that nausea was a strong possibility. That's what I call hardcore. And racing in cold weather is definitely not comfortable. We tense up and can never get our muscles to relax like they should. You did great given the circumstances. Congratulations and happy pregnancy!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations on the course PR!  Sorry you have gone through so much but you're a champ for continuing.  Hope to see you at the RnR NOLA next year.

And congrats on the new bundle of joy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Congratulations, Coralie! I am so happy for you!

Sloooow.

Where was this race?  If there was a 40 year old running 14:30, shake his hand because there probably aren't 5 people in the United States his age that are faster.

His name is Kevin Castille, race was in Lafayette LA. My partner was talking to someone who said he is a local legend, and I think he qualified for the Olympics a good while back but got injured.

Sloooow.

Jack, Manchester City all the way!

Kristin, Louisiana has made me soft. I tolerated much colder in the UK, but now less than 40 is freezing to me.

Thank you so much Happylily.I know that nausea and tiredness will be my biggest challenges. I actually find that after a while, my sickness goes while I'm running.

My aim is still RnR, Docket. I only want to finish. I'm thinking a run/walk plan would be best.

Zelanie, thanks!

Nata2011

Congrats on a good race!

I do enjoy out and back races as well, because I get to see fast people and get to say hi to lots of people on my way back

LRB

Way to lace 'em up and get out there despite all the obstacles!  Hopefully, the running off-season will do you some good.

The difference in temps from last year to now is crazy by the way!

SheCan

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  okay, good job on the race, with all you've been though, and CONGRATULATIONS ON the baby!  You're such a sweet person, and I'm really happy for you.  This has been such a tough year, and you've never given up.  Many hugs to you!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson