Beginners and Beyond

Runner resumes (Read 131 times)

Cyberic

Hi all,

Being pretty new to the group, I don't know your running histories. Age at which you started running, running milestones achieved at what age/after how many years of running, injuries (nature, for how long), etc. Since I spend lots of time reading your posts, knowing more about you would add some depth to your avatars and pseudos.

LRB

Mile, 5k & 10k aficionado, wanna be marathoner.

Started running in May 2011 at age 42, ran my first 5k a week after that in June and was hooked.  Ran my first marathon a year later.

Runners knee, shin splints, ITBS, Achilles tendonitis, busted up hips (yes, both of them), SI joint dysfunction, angry psoas, irritable QL muslce and groin pull are all related to me.

Little known fact: I reluctantly ran without headphones in August 2012 (for a race that forbade them) and have run without them ever since.  I did not know it at the time, but it was probably the best thing I ever did as running to the sound of my footfalls and breathing provides me all the rhythm I so desperately sought (but never found) on countless playlists.

Now in year 4 of running I have finally come to accept that for me stretching is the rule, not the exception.

Hip Redux

I'm just here to heckle.

Cyberic

LRB, I thought you were a runner of at least a decade of experience. Cool that you are this fast with as little running under your belt.

LRB

LRB, I thought you were a runner of at least a decade of experience. Cool that you are this fast with as little running under your belt.

Yes, I talk a lot of shit I know.  It is exactly that though, shit.  lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I love these threads - I have a beautiful, crazy love affair with running 

Started running, really running in May of 2010 at 23 years old. Inspired by the Evansville Half Marathon (October), I began the YMCA's training group's run/walk program 3 days a week but by July I started running without walking, and was running 30 minutes on days other than their training days. I ended up injuring my right ITB but ignored it until September when during a run I began to feel  like somebody was stabbing a knife at the top of my hip thing and dragging it down along the outside to my knee.

I didn't run that half marathon, I had to give up that dream but I did run two 5k's and one 10k's in 2010.

I started up slowly through that winter making it to 3 miles, ran a couple 5k's around Spring and a 7k, got back with the training group in May 2011 and everything was going great. In August I found out I was pregnant, ran another  5k and a 10k and then ran my first half marathon at 13 weeks pregnant (included 5 port-a-potty stops) in 2:31:05.

Had my little boy in April 2012, started training for my 2nd half 2-3 weeks later. Ended up injuring my right groin area and pretty much limping across the finish line at my 2nd half in 2:36:39. Took it easy for a few weeks and spent the winter working hard at gaining confidence with my running and preparing for my 3rd half.

Ran the Go! St. Louis Half in April 2013 with a time of 2:18:28, I can't say how much it sucks to train all winter in 15-30 degrees then run a half marathon in 65 degrees... blah lol.

All summer I trained hard, gaining confidence and speed. I ran a few more 5k's, 10k's and 15k's.

In October 2013 I ran my 4th half in 2:04:48, ran it in piss pouring rain then ran my 5th half in Indy 4 weeks later with a time of 1:56:38 .

This past May I ran my 6th half in 2:01:40  - I don't care much for running distances like HM in temps over 60 damn it.

Now I've got my 7th half coming up this Saturday, we'll see how things go.

Other than the ITB issue and the groin issue, I really haven't dealt with any other injuries (knocks on wood). 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You people run?

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Old timer here.

Ran 4 years in HS (1960-1964) then quit.

4 years later started running again (1968) in hopes of breaking my very slow HS PBs (2:21.7 for 880 yd and 5:22 for the mile).

2 months after starting ran 4:56.4 for the mile.

11 months after starting ran 1:13:03 for 12M (about equivalent to a 1:21 HM)

Just short of 2 years running again ran 2:59:50 gun time at Boston in my first marathon.

Many years and many races later decided to run an ultra marathon.

Ran 49.6 miles at the 2013 North Coast 24 12-hour Race.

All-time PBs:

Mile 4:41

5K 16:22

10K 35:12

HM 1:19:03

Marathon 2:54:56

Best race ever probably a 24-hour relay in 1972 where I averaged 5:41.9 for each of the 32 miles I ran with about 45 minutes rest between.

Lifetime mileage about 76,500.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

I have been running for close to 15 years but did not run a race until 2008.  Ran to de stress from work and law school. Always liked long distances and the challenge of running more and more. I used to win AG awards (mostly in small 5Ks and 10Ks) and was training for a sub 4 when I was diagnosed with asthma and my paces got slower by 1-2mm. Went through a period where all my races sucked and I thought of quitting running because it had stopped being fun. Decided not to quit but changed my perspective and expectations.  My breathing has remained at 55-60% ever since the diagnosis and I don't expect to ever improve.

Now I concentrate on finishing X marathons a year instead of trying to break a time that will probably never come.  So I run marathons...for fun. Gasp!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Robert31320

Team TJ

I started in late August 2011, 2 weeks before I turned 44.  I've logged just over 2,000 injury free miles.  I've run a lot of 5Ks, one 10K, and one HM.  I'm dreadfully slow but proud of what I have accomplished, which includes 70 pounds lost.  I could have worked harder and accomplished more...My only excuse for not doing more is worthless.  Will participate in my second HM on October 25 along side, or more likely way behind hog4life.

Running for TJ because he can't.

B-Plus

I'm waiting for the most similar one to mine so I can copy & paste.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I'm old (so my kids say) and have been running for about three years. I have always played some kind of sport, mostly soccer, well into adulthood. When I was a kid, I could run miles and miles at a time on the soccer field but I never liked running. I only started running for myself when older DD joined her high school XC team three years ago. Crap, now she's a senior. My best race memory is BQing in my first ever marathon. I ran a 3:24:25.  Man, that was fun. My other PRs are 20:21 and 1:35 for the HM. I don't remember my 10k because I dislike them so much but I think it's 42:00. For the past few months (or maybe six, I lost count) I have been battling injuries from PF (gone now), piriformis in the right cheek and Achilles trouble on the left. I can run with no pain on some days and other days, like yesterday, I hurt. I shut it down for three weeks last month and picked it up again last week.  If things don't get better I am going to the doctor. I'm well pissed about it  and am sick of it. Niggling injuries are beyond frustrating. My goals for the future are to run a sub 20 5k, Qualify for and run in Boston (I missed this year's cutoff by 27 seconds), a 1:30 HM, and I would love to run some kind of ultra someday. Now I feel like I want to quit because of the injuries, but I only say that because I'm pissed off right now. They will heal in time but I will likely have to start over. Running is fun and I love it. I love all the races except for the 10k but I will still do them. My mentality is to train properly and race my ass off every time. Getting older sucks because things take longer to heal. I will race again but it will likely be with different perspectives.

Zelanie

In 2011, I was morbidly obese.  In April of that year, I started weight watchers.  Not too long after that, they started a fitness challenge which included a walking plan to build up to being able to walk a 5K, starting with a 5 or 10 minute brisk walk.  I walked two 5Ks that summer, finishing in about an hour, and was exhausted afterwards!

But I kept walking, and I kept losing weight.  I extended the amount of distance I could walk, and also tackled challenging hills and trails in the area.  But eventually, I ran out of time to keep adding distance to my walk.  By January 2012, I had lost about 75 pounds.  I set a goal of walking 50 miles in the month.  I got it done, but couldn't imagine adding any more miles to that.  It gets dark early in January!

So instead, I started Couch to 5K (February 1, 2012).  It was hard!  I'd never been a runner, even as a kid, but I stuck with it.  I think I only had to repeat week 4.  I finished the program, but was only running about 2.5 miles in 30 minutes, so I had to keep working to build up to the 5K distance.   I raced my first 5K in May, and finished in 32 minutes.  I then made it my goal to get a sub-30 5K by the end of the summer, which I did after a few unsuccessful attempts.  I also got to my weight loss goal of 100 pounds lost by that August.

I built up to a 10K that September, and came in just under an hour.  Shortly thereafter, I had to take a couple of weeks off for ITBS, and discovered the joy that is a foam roller, and got back on the road.

I ran my first HM in April 2013, and finished on an injured knee (patellar tendonitis caused by patellar tracking disorder).  A couple of months of physical therapy, and it was as good as new, but I had to start over again building mileage.  I was back and ready to run my second HM by that November.

This year, I haven't raced much and haven't had a great racing season.  I think I had plantar fasciitis this past winter and spring, although a shoe change seems to have taken care of that.  Since then, training and mileage has gone really well, so hopefully I'm ready for my first marathon this weekend.  Oh, I'm 39, FWIW. Smile

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

You people have issues 

Mmmmm...beer

Former fat guy turned runner.  Down 95lbs, from 270 to 175 (probably less than that now, but I haven't been able to weigh myself for the last three weeks).

Went from not being to run a half mile without needing to stop to walk, to running 360 miles last month, should be over 400 this month.

I've been running for about 2.5 years, started at 37, just turned 40 (new AG, woohoo!).

BQ'd my first marathon this past March, looking for sub-3 at my 2nd marathon in November.

Only two injuries, both minor and resolved in less than a month each, ITB in Jan '13, Piriformis in May '13.  Injury free since then, hope it stays that way.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!