Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's ValentinesDAILY (Read 22 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Early visit to the health club today and then a LR with the sweetheart.

Have a great V Day and weekend.

PADRunner

Weather yesterday and through the weekend is supposed to be great! Just wish I could run in it...

My knee is still bothering me and I have a half on 2/23 and have not run since last Saturday.

So what do I do, try to run or rest it till the half? I guess it's more elliptical today, but I think I've got an ingrown toenail that even that hurts.

Arghhh!

Zelanie

Morning!  Just 4.5 tonight.  Then cooking dinner and making the cookies I need for tomorrow's robotics scrimmage (we're bringing dinner for 40, yikes!).

Jerry- Hope you have a great day with your sweetie!

PAD- That's tough.  But if the knee is hurting, I don't think you should run on it.  The elliptical sounds like a good bet for keeping some cardio fitness.

Bin Running

Have a great valetine, penguins.

8 easy done. Trying to squeeze in 40 this week.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Another three day weekend for me. I hope I can manage! 4 or 5 miles later tonight once it cools down.

Have a good weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is mine and Gail's 29th wedding anniversary.  She was hawt when I met her and she looks even hotter now!  Like a fine wine, she ages well...I definitely married up!    We both have the day off from work, so after she gets back from her Hot Yoga class, we will be going out and about to do some stuff.

Went to one of the San Antonio Y's yesterday after work and from there I did a 3.3 mile loop out from the Y and back.  Beautiful weather, 70 degrees, sunshine, light wind.  I ran on the campus of Trinity University, one of the 5 local universities in San Antonio, and just before I started my last mile I encountered a few ladies from their cross-country team.  They asked how far I was going and I told them I was on my last mile.  They asked what my pace was and I said about 11-min miles, very slow.  They said that was PERFECT, they'd already done their 'main run' and were now doing a  'cool-down' so asked if they could 'pace" me to keep themselves from going faster.  Hey, fine with me!  So my last mile I got to enjoy the company of 4 lovely college ladies.   Nice finish!

After showering and changing, I headed over to the McNay, our local art museum, where the Packet Pickup Party was going on for my 5K on Sunday.  Got my packet and then enjoyed a beer and some of the food they had there (chicken wings, grilled hamburgers, fries, various pastries, tacos, etc) and they also had live music from a band there.  Nice time eating, drinking, enjoying the music, and chatting with some of my runner pals that were there also.  Good way to end the day after my run.

Rest day today, then two 5Ks tomorrow morning and one 5K on Sunday morning.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the Sweetheart LR, Jerry!  You should do "kissing intervals' today...

Sorry about the knee, PAD, that sucks.  Ingrown toenail on top of that, too?  You are having a heckuva week!  Hope it gets better!

Dinner for 40, zowie!  How long does it take you to cook all the stuff for that many folks?  Good luck, Zelanie!

Congrats on the 8 miles, Bin, and good luck in getting in the 40 for the week.

"Once it cools down"....lol, Jack, you're going to annoy all the 'real winter' folks here - like I do, I suppose, with my weather too - cuz they're already WAY cooled down!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy 29th Scotty.  I'm impressed that college girls are hitting on you. (okay...jealous)

hog4life

Scotty, Happy Anniversary!

Jerry, have a good day.

Pad, probably better to let the knee rest.

Zel, feeding 40? Yikes! I can barely organize for 10-12.

I got in 8 miles this morning on the TM with the middle 5 at 8:41. Waiting for the oil to be changed in my truck, then have a stop to get something for my sweetie. One more night shift, blah!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Happy Anniversary to you and Gail. Have a "hawt" day!  Smile

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

I ❤ you!

Jerry-- thank you!  Hope you two have a lovely valentine's day at the club!

Pad-- you're able to do elliptical without pain most of the time?  I'd continue you doing that and try to taper even that towards the end of the week.  Sometimes its a personal thing, knowing what your body can take.  If you can get a few road miles without pain early this week, maybe....

Zelanie-- good luck and have fun with all that cooking and cookie making tonight tonight.  Your DD is lucky to have you as a mum whether she always knows it or not.

Bin-- good luck squeezing those miles in.  Hopefully everyone will be feeling well this week, and sleep at night.  Being a runner and a parent to little ones like that cannot be easy.

Jack- may you run with a cool breeze tonight.  You've probably said before, but where is your profile pic from?  Its very, very pretty!

Scotty-- Happy anniversary to you and Gail!!!!  You are both blessed to have one another.  Hope you all have a wonderful anniversary and Valentines day.  Good luck with your many races this weekend (being a runner in SA is so good!)

Mitch-- great job fitting your miles in!  Hope you and DW have a wonderful day!

Docket-- if you look into the thread today, we thinking of ya.  ❤❤❤

Did an easy 3-1/2 and am enjoying this beautiful day!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

She Can: That was on the Highline Trail in Glacier National Park. You need to get there.

GinnyinPA

Happy Valentines Day!

Jerry - enjoy your long run with your wife.  Indoors or out?

PADRunner - sorry about the knee and the toe.  Maybe do the bike instead of the elliptical?

Z - are you doing the entire dinner, or just the cookies for 40?  Either way, that's a lot of food.  Have fun.

Bin - good job getting your miles in.  Are the children well again?  I'm glad you didn't get sick too.

Jack - enjoy your late day run.  Teachers around here aren't getting the holiday, because they've missed so much school due to snow and ice.  So enjoy the long weekend.  And I agree, Glacier is gorgeous.  My favorite US national park.

Scotty - happy anniversary to the two of you.  Your races really do go all out to entertain people.  I've never even seen that much at a 5k.  One of ours had donuts and one had fruit, but that was about it.  Have fun tomorrow.

Mitch - hope you make the transition back to days well.  How long will it be before you go back to nights?  Good job on the treadmill miles.

Cherie - I hope you're enjoying all your short easy miles.  Is your race tomorrow or Sunday?  Are you heading up early or driving up in the morning?  In either case -- I hope you have fun.

AFM:  Beautiful day today:  36 and sunny. Walking Ben this morning I had my coat completely unzipped. The snow is melting rapidly, but we are supposed to get more tonight :-(  We'll head out to the park in a few minutes and see if they've plowed the trails yet as I really want to run outdoors.

SheCan

Ginny-- Yay@ having your coat unzipped!  Finally some warmer weather for you.  Crossing my fingers that you're able to run on the paths outdoors today.  I'm very much enjoying the easy runs; they're feeling great.  The race is on Sunday, and we are headed up tomorrow early enough to make it before the packet pickup closes @ 5 p.m.  Tomorrow is supposed to be almost 90* so i'll probably wear shorts, and bring a swimsuit (okay, pools an indoor one!)

Jack--   Ohhh Glacier National Park!  Of course, no wonder its so pretty.  I've wanted to go there every since I was a kid and saw pics of it in a National Parks book.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson