Beginners and Beyond

RR - St. John Vianney 5K (Read 59 times)

This race seems to get bigger every year.  There are many reasons for me to want to run my utmost best -- it's a certified course, it's on my "home" streets that I've run since high school (and still return to sometimes, even living up in the boonies now), and there are cash prizes paid out.

Last year I took home some cash, finishing 4th out of 5 paid spots.  This year, that wouldn't happen, but I had another "A" goal -- sub 17 on the roads I know most intimately.

Everything about today and even this week had been preparation.  I ate a light lunch of two bagels and some Powerade, not wanting to ingest anything that might sabotage speed.  I did "suicide" repeats on Tuesday at a faster pace than any other workout this year.   Several trips to the bathroom also aided in getting things just right.  When the weather yesterday turned to unusually dry, sunny and cool for July, I rejoiced and prayed that it would hold for today.  It did.

Several of the runners that can beat me were present, my normal competition.  Ray, Joe, Allison.   There were also some real burners,  young bucks capable of low 16's that don't come to most races.  I guessed that cash would be out this year, and was free to run totally inside my own head, only trying to best my inner demons rather than any specific competitors.

The start was crowded and ugly, with lots of young kids up where they shouldn't be, and other runners not fast enough to be on the line pushing forward.  One of the officials actually had to tell Allison to get on the pavement and out of the gravel shoulder where she had lined up with precious little space anywhere else.

Not surprisingly, after the gun the fast people had to scramble through a crowd, but eventually got sorted out.  A tight lead pack of roughly a dozen runners formed for about a half mile, and I briefly wanted to challenge the pace but hung just back, confident that all these guys were for real.

One mile was read as 5:25.  Keep it up, this is the right pace but you cannot fall off at all.  Every stride, every breath was taken with the intent of not slowing down.  Deep breaths, visualization of the whole course, and even some Oms were used to stay on pace.  Mile two came and went, with two runners in the vicinity, but I wasn't racing them today, only the clock.  Still on correct pace.  Mile three is the toughest of the course, with a modest but constant climb for much of the remainder.

Now, I was telling myself that pain is temporary but results are forever.  Do not let up for a single stride.  Keep running, you are not going to blow up in a 5K, just go faster.  Run like you ran on Tuesday.

Around the last corner, now the chute is visible in the distance.  Go faster, you can puke later if you need but you cannot slow down now.   An uncharacteristically ragged kick still caught two runners.  THE CLOCK STARTS WITH A 16.  HOLY $%!@# JUST GO!

16:57 satisfied one of my two ultimate goals, (with a sub 3:00 marathon being the other, hopefully to fall this September).  AG win, no cash but I'm on cloud 9, also regaining the fastest AG 5K in WNY for the year by one second.

Unfinished dreams in Erie, PA, 9/15.

Will run for scenery.

Wow, it sounds like everything fell into place perfectly.

Good Om-ing.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Holy cow!!  That's fast!  Reading that makes my lungs burn!!

HUGE congrats!

Randy

B-Plus

Great read as usual, but more importantly huge congrats on nailing your sub-17.

Now get ready to completely destroy sub-3.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for another RR Jay, its like a book and every week we get a new chapter.  Very enjoyable to see and feel how you more accomplished runners treat races.  Your a teacher and an author -- oh and fast.

Next time I am in Buffalo, I'll have to buy you a beer pair of mittens.

WTG Jay!

Dave

Hip Redux

Awesome!!  *insert dancing banana here*

delicate flower

A 16:57 5K is nice and all, but that's two races in a row now that you have not won, Jay.  Time to get a little more serious about your training maybe?

<3

Docket_Rocket

Awesome job.  Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TakeAHike

That is seriously fast Jay.  You did a great job of setting a goal, going after it and attaining it.  As always, your RR are a blast to read.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Jay. It's a real joy to read your race reports. You have talent not only in running.

- Andrew

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Sweet! I love that you approached this race differently in order to get to your goal. It's crazy how some of our goals line up - I really want sub 17 too. It's an ever moving target though, right? Sub 16 is next. As far as the start goes, I almost think races need to print your PR on your bib. Yes, I realize 22 is still a fast 5k, but please move back 4 rows!

Keep that mental focus in mind for the sub 3 effort. Your RR completely reminded me of miles 16 and on in my marathon.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Great job! I need to work on my 5K times. Wink

meaghansketch

Congratulations-- that is a fantastic result.  You had a great strategy, knowing your competition and knowing that this would be a good race to aim for a goal time rather than for placement.  You hit the pace right from the start and kept it up until the end.  It is so satisfying to hit a big goal like that, and it's wonderful that you were able to make that happen.

Way to go!

LRB

Around the last corner, now the chute is visible in the distance.  Go faster, you can puke later if you need but you cannot slow down now.   An uncharacteristically ragged kick still caught two runners.  THE CLOCK STARTS WITH A 16.  HOLY $%!@# JUST GO!

I have had mixed results looking at the clock as I approach the stretch; on the one hand, if it's something yummy and juicy as in your case, I take off  like a bat outta hell, no matter how much distress I am in.  On the other though, if it is something I might be disappointed to see, I completely check out, costing myself 3, 5 and maybe up to 10 seconds on my final time depending on when i see it.

That may not seem like much, but it might cost you a placing when the age group standings shake out.  It is something I need to work on.

As it is, with this result on an inclining third mile, you are poised to drop even more time of that sub-17:00 under the right conditions.

Nice work man!