Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins - 2012 Is Going, Going... (Read 189 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

....it's almost gone!

Yesterday we had another family holiday get together. Managed to get some core work in - its hard to do planks with a full belly!

Awood - hope your mom gets better.

Tori - glad to hear your dad is well

Scotty - See Scott run. See Scott run again and again! Good luck in your races!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Morning penguins!

awood--I hope your mom is okay.

Dave--good luck today!!!

Scotty--YAY SKINS!!! Can't stand 'dem Cowboys and plus Dale Earnhardt Jr is a "Skins" fan! Neither of my teams (Steelers, Giants) made the playoffs.

It's 19 degrees this morning, I am thinking of possibly just going to get a day pass at the YMCA to run. I have never tried to run on a dreadmill so I am just not sure what to do. I may choose cold over dreadmill though!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  A run and maybe core or weights tonight.  Off to work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning penguins!!! Smile

I'm going to try to go back and catch up on the haps over the last week, I've obviously missed some stuff.

Gustav, thanks for starting us off.  I hate working out with food in my stomach, but good job getting in your workout!

Tori, thanks!  I'm also sad that the Giants didn't make it, they were doing good and then let it all fall apart.  Oh well.  I vote for the cold, just cause treadmills are so boring.  If you dress properly, the cold really isn't that bad.

Damaris, have a great run and workout later, hope you have a good day at work too! Smile

AFM, racing the Beat the Ball 5k tonight.  Race starts at 11:35pm and there's a special award for finishing before midnight (hence the name of the race lol).  Hoping for my first sub-20, I think I've got a good chance with a better start than I had at my last race.  If I can pull it off, it might also get me another AG award (I can easily see myself getting hooked on 5ks Smile ).

Hope everyone enjoys the last day of 2012!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Happy Last Day of 2012 Penguins!

Gustav - as always, great start.  We had our last family get together last night also.  I scored a book I've been drooling over for 2 years.  Love it.  LOL

Tori - we haven't dropped that low quite yet.  However, about an hour and half north a friend reported 7 degrees one morning.  CHILLLY!

DT2 - best of luck tonight!  That sounds like a fun race.

Damaris - have a great day at work.  I'm here already.  Also, I wonder if I can might be able to periodically pique your brain for some running advice over the next  year.  I'll explain...

AFM - Well, I just verbally committed to my first full marathon.  It will be one of two in 2013, the North Country Run August 24th or the Sleeping  Bear Marathon in the first week of October.  Fact is I'm going to have to buckle right down and get serious.  My runs have been averaging around 6 miles over the last month as I prepare for the Bayshore Half in May.  So, I need to set some plans in stone.  The North Country is a trail run with 3 events:  50 mile ultra, a full marathon, and a half.  No possible way I'd be mentally nor physically ready for an ultra by then.  I'm excited but know I need to get my sights on a good training plan.  For this week I have had 2 SRD's and my try a treadmill workout tonight.  I managed to give myself a heel bruise running outside on the uneven ice this last week.  I had just this side of 20 miles outside so I can't complain about that - but paid for it.

OK folks... back to work for me.  Have a very safe and blessed New Year celebration tonight!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Haven't run since Thursday, so will try  a short slow run this afternoon on the track.

Have a safe New Years Eve.

Docket_Rocket

No problem!

Happy Last Day of 2012 Penguins!

Gustav - as always, great start.  We had our last family get together last night also.  I scored a book I've been drooling over for 2 years.  Love it.  LOL

Tori - we haven't dropped that low quite yet.  However, about an hour and half north a friend reported 7 degrees one morning.  CHILLLY!

DT2 - best of luck tonight!  That sounds like a fun race.

Damaris - have a great day at work.  I'm here already.  Also, I wonder if I can might be able to periodically pique your brain for some running advice over the next  year.  I'll explain...

AFM - Well, I just verbally committed to my first full marathon.  It will be one of two in 2013, the North Country Run August 24th or the Sleeping  Bear Marathon in the first week of October.  Fact is I'm going to have to buckle right down and get serious.  My runs have been averaging around 6 miles over the last month as I prepare for the Bayshore Half in May.  So, I need to set some plans in stone.  The North Country is a trail run with 3 events:  50 mile ultra, a full marathon, and a half.  No possible way I'd be mentally nor physically ready for an ultra by then.  I'm excited but know I need to get my sights on a good training plan.  For this week I have had 2 SRD's and my try a treadmill workout tonight.  I managed to give myself a heel bruise running outside on the uneven ice this last week.  I had just this side of 20 miles outside so I can't complain about that - but paid for it.

OK folks... back to work for me.  Have a very safe and blessed New Year celebration tonight!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Dave--I can't wait to see how well you do! What an awesome way to bring in the new year!!

AFM: I decided to go to the YMCA/dreadmill route today..mostly because of the icy sidewalks.

Got 4.5 longgg deadmill miles in. LOL....I had to make it fun somehow so I ran some intervals. I'd run 1 minute at 10min/mi pace then 2 minutes at 13min/mi pace just to keep me entertained for a bit! Whatever works!

I think I'd much prefer the cold......if it weren't for the icy spots all over the sidewalks.....can't take chances on that!!!  Better than nothing at all! So I'll take it.

My first races EVER! 

Jen2011

Good morning, Penguins!  I've missed you guys!  I've not been posting because I feel guilty that I rarely have enough time to reply to every single post.  So I will do my best to reply to as many as I can, but if I run out of time, or miss someone, please forgive me!  Smile

Gustav, good for you for getting that core work on a full stomach!  While I am not looking forward to returning to work on Thursday, I am excited about getting back to a regular schedule and less "special" events, dinners, etc.

Awood, obviously I'm behind on news here (I'll have to go back and catch up) but I hope your mom is okay as well!

Tori, give the TM a try!  I was dreading it, but I'm starting to get used to it.  I've ended up doing 1-2 short runs (3 miles) on the TM every week this month and I'm getting used to it more.  When the weather is awful, or it's too dark for me to run, I feel happy to have an alternative.  Let us know how it goes!

Damaris, have a good day at work and enjoy your run and core work/weights later on.

Dave, what a cool race!  Good luck - I hope you're able to begin the new year with a new sub-20 PR and an AG award to boot!

N-Bug, sorry to hear about your heel!  Hope it feels better soon and you find the perfect training plan for your marathon!

Jerry, enjoy your run today!

AFM, I had a great run on Saturday morning, even though it was cold and sleeting.  It was so much fun.  I had this goofy grin on my face and was so happy, until mile 4 when my hammy and knee started acting up.  Not as much pain as when it was really bad in October, but it was still there.  Yesterday, I went out for my long run, and before I even hit 1 mile, it was hurting again.  I called it a day at 2 miles, because I have a 10K tomorrow, and I'm hoping some rest will help.

Have a great day everyone!

Jen

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

hog4life

Jen, it's okay if you don't respond to every post, do what you can when you can. There's no need in staying away bc of that. Good luck on your 10k.

I've been having some knee pain last couple runs, hope its nothing too serious. I will be heading out shortly for intervals that should end near 6-7 miles if my knee doesn't shut me down first. Oh, and I start that dreaded 3rd shift again tonight.

Mitch

Good morning friends,

Gustav- good job on the planks. By belly is bigger that my arms right now, so I just lay there and act busy Smile

Tori- the dreadmill isn't evil. When I ran in the snow, I would run on the grass and avoid the sidewalks. I never slipped. It felt like an adventure and not work.

Damaris- if I did resolutions, I would want to be like you. Including the bad ass socks, but shorts instead of sparkle skirts. Keep kickin butt.

Dave- warm up good and kick butt later. All your hard work has been paying off big time.

N-bug- woohoo for getting conned into a marathon. Keep up the good work. Sorry about the ice.

Jerry- enjoy the run.

Jen- don't worry about the personals. I have not done them in over a week. I would get some rest and some ice for that knee.

AFM- rest day. I am at my out-laws house out in the country. The roads were are not flat like back home. Hills were fun for 2 days, but I am glad I am resting today.

I hope everybody is safe tonight and has a good time.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Mitch--that is the one thing about becoming an RN that I dread...the NIGHT SHIFT. I have worked it a few times at my job now and my body doesn't like it much! You gotta do, what you gotta do, right?!!!!

Good luck today. I hope your knee cooperates.

Jen, it's okay if you don't respond to every post, do what you can when you can. There's no need in staying away bc of that. Good luck on your 10k.

I've been having some knee pain last couple runs, hope its nothing too serious. I will be heading out shortly for intervals that should end near 6-7 miles if my knee doesn't shut me down first. Oh, and I start that dreaded 3rd shift again tonight.

Mitch

My first races EVER! 

Zelanie

Good morning!  Today I am working at a Weight Watchers meeting, then I have my first workout for my HM plan!  I will be doing 2x1.5 @ tempo and a total of 7 miles with warm up, cool down, and recovery.  I already have it programmed into my watch!  I'm not 100% sure on the best tempo pace, but I told my Garmin I wanted to do between 8:30 and 9:00.

Also up today is getting my dog to the vet to get her ear cleaned out, making more Rolo cookies, and packing for a Seattle trip- we're leaving tomorrow.  As far as NYE itself, meh.  No real plans this year.

Good luck to Dave and Scotty!  And Jeff and Jen tomorrow!

Gustav- Good job getting the core work in!

Tori- I personally like doing at least some runs on the TM.  I have a very cheesy running music playlist and I only let myself listen to music when I run inside.  So it's something to look forward to.

D- Last workday of the year!

Dave- I will say it again- good luck on getting that sub-20!

Vance- GL with your marathon plans in 2013!

Jerry- Glad you're feeling well enough to try a run today.

Jen- One of the things we have talked about is that nobody should feel bad and avoid posting if they don't have time for personals. We are still happy to hear from you!  Hope the hammy and knee behave for you tomorrow!

Zelanie

Mitch- Thinking healthy knee thoughts for you!

Trod- Enjoy the RD!