Beginners and Beyond

((ETA pics))Debut marathon- Rock N Roll New Orleans (Read 192 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

Sorry it didn't go the way you had hoped. You still did very well, but I understand your disappointment. Your photo is great, you look like it is a before picture not an after! congrats on finishing even if it didn't end the way you'd dreamed.

I thought the same thing! You are Superwoman IMO. So impressed and excited for you! Now you know you can do it (and do it without throwing up or breaking down Smile) so the next one will be even better!

Congrats!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Congrats!! That's still a very respectable time, especially for your first marathon. As hard as it was you should definitely be proud. You have come so far and you've always trained very smart, and it certainly seems to have paid off for you!

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Ball of Fury

Great job!  Congratulations on becoming a marathoner!  It was so nice of you to stop and help that poor girl!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Misty

Thanks everyone!! I feel like having done it, I will go into the next one much more mentally prepared. It's like anything else, people can warn you about that last 10k until they're blue in the face but until you've actually experienced it you can't really grasp it.  Plus, now I know I can do it, which was one big source of anxiety for going into this race.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Congratulations, ImaRunnah2!

Great report and fantastic job!  I was out there pretty close to you (a couple of corrals behind you but I came in at 4:16, so we were definitely in the same vicinity).  Did you realize they changed the course a few days before the event at miles 16-23?  The route along the lakefront was supposed to go left for a mile and then back to the right and then loop back.  Due to recent rains and the threat for more race day, they changed to their alternate course a couple of days before the race.  It went only to the right and went farther before looping back. That added a couple of the overpasses to the route, which would not show up on the course elevation profile.

Don't discount the heat and sunshine.  It was very nice weather for the first hour or so, but warmed to the mid 60s by 9:30ish.  It was very warm the last hour or hour and a half.  That had a big impact on many runners and always causes me troubles.  I actually got a slight sunburn.

BTW, just completing Pfitz 18/70 is a serious accomplishment.  Nice job all around.

Misty

Thanks and a big congrats to you too! I got the email about the course change, but didn't really look at it. I figured I'd just follow the crowd lol! Good to know that those extra overpasses aren't typically on the route!

Great report and fantastic job!  I was out there pretty close to you (a couple of corrals behind you but I came in at 4:16, so we were definitely in the same vicinity).  Did you realize they changed the course a few days before the event at miles 16-23?  The route along the lakefront was supposed to go left for a mile and then back to the right and then loop back.  Due to recent rains and the threat for more race day, they changed to their alternate course a couple of days before the race.  It went only to the right and went farther before looping back. That added a couple of the overpasses to the route, which would not show up on the course elevation profile.

Don't discount the heat and sunshine.  It was very nice weather for the first hour or so, but warmed to the mid 60s by 9:30ish.  It was very warm the last hour or hour and a half.  That had a big impact on many runners and always causes me troubles.  I actually got a slight sunburn.

BTW, just completing Pfitz 18/70 is a serious accomplishment.  Nice job all around.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Great job Misty, congrats on finishing marathon #1.  Now that you've been there, your second attempt will be that much easier.

Well done.

hog4life

Congrats on your first.

Way to go, it's still a great time for your  first marathon.

BruceD555

Congratulations and what a great RR. I loved the part about encouraging that girl around mile 22 and I completely understand your "pay it back" mentality after you received a similar thing at your HM. What a wonderful act of kindness!

Those pesky overpasses are a major pain in a race course and it would be soooo much better if race directors routed things differently or at least put them near the start instead of in those last 10k. My first FM was Air Force last year in Dayton and they had dumb overpasses on the back stretch as well that just sap you. (Funny but that stretch was hot during my race too - maybe something about overpasses and sunshine)

You are completely right on the race experience and the mental preparation for the next one. (You will be so much stronger - both physically AND mentally for your next one!)

Anyway, congratulations again on a great race.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Motormouse

Proud Aussie

Congratulations again Misty, and thanks for the directions to your race report. Like many others here, your report brought back memories of a lot of similarities between your race and my first.

You've run a great race, and should be proud of your debut time!

And by isolating areas for improvement you can now adjust your goal for your next one (...there will be a next one right?).Smile

Goal: BQ or Bust.  (Done: BQ -5mins July 2014)

Selecting new goal.........

Anomalous

Great RR! Congratulations on your first, Misty!

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Sloooow.

Congratulations on your first marathon! The Rock N Roll New Orleans Half is my ultimate aim, some of the streets on the course are beautiful.

You did an awesome job Smile

runTDC

Congratulations on finishing your first marathon!  I am proud to be your teammate!  You trained hard, and learned so much.  I am so glad you had a good experience.  it sounds like you will certainly use this for future races, and make a good time even better.  Ummmm, by the way...YOU ROCK!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Teresa

Aug—Double Dipsea

Oct 9–R2R Grand Canyon, baby!

2024 goals- Run trails, race a few, get a little faster, gain some endurance, enjoy life…😊