Beginners and Beyond

Another 5k RR from hog4life(with pics) (Read 79 times)

hog4life

This was another spur of the moment 5k that I decided to run on the way home from work Friday night, yes another "after night shift 5k". This one was put on by our local Hospice Center, called Hospice of the Valley Celebrating Life 5k. I didn't have any real goals or expectations for this, other than to run hard. I haven't been doing any specific training now that my 2 big HM's are over, but I still try to get in one day per week of speed work, with a 10+ mile LR,  and keep my weekly miles in the 35-40 range.

We just had a big round of thunderstorms that rolled through on Thursday night, and the temps dropped and were nice for running/racing. It was 38 degrees at the 8:00 am start, with temps expecting to get into the 50's by early afternoon. I positioned myself near the front, as most people were staying way back. I was hoping to maintain a 7:30-7:35 pace and try not to go out too fast. As we started, there were a couple folks that jumped out front early, no way I was going to stay with them. These were the guys finishing in the 18's and 20's.

I wanted to run this by feel as much as I could with out looking at my watch, so I wouldn't be worried about my pace. I felt really good through the first mile and into the second, but felt myself start slipping a little. There was a father/daughter duo that passed me here. He was running comfortable, so I guessed that he was pacing her. During the next mile or so, the father/daughter duo started fading, I could her him saying to her, "just hang on, not much further". Then, here comes this nice lady, just cruising right past all of us, she ended up winning female masters. I glanced at my watch and seen 2.64, and tried to pick up the pace. The father/daughter duo stayed right on my tail, now I could her him tell her, "just one more little sprint". After the race I thanked both of them, because they helped me, and then they thanked me for helping them too.

My time end up being 24:07 which was good for 1/6 AG, and 13/133 OA.

Some of you know that I'm a mentor in a program called No Boundaries(or NOBO for short), it's very similar to the Couch to 5k(C25K). There were a few ladies at this event that are also participating in the NOBO program. One of the ladies(blonde) lost her father AND stepfather to cancer, and she used Hospice each time, so this event is special for her. When she seen the shirt I was wearing that Scottydog sent me(thank you Scott), she got all teary eyed, and told me that I was so inspirational. It's just strange how running and cancer bring people together.

Thanks for reading.

Mitch

Ms Chenandler Bong

Congrats on the AG win!!  It's nice when you can connect with other runners and then find out that they were using you as well. We're such a great group of people - insert mushy hug here.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Great race and RR, Mitch.  Thought the shirt looked familiar.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great stuff, hog! First place in your AG has to feel good. That shirt does indeed look familiar. Smile

RocI on, Mitch! Congratulations on the AG win!

Good job Mitch! And Scottydawg is omething else!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Congratulations Mitch.

tracilynn

Great job on the 5k.  Congrats on the AG win too!  Love the pics.  Looking goodCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Just B.S.

Congrats Mitch!

I was wondering about the shirt (just like a Scottydawg shirt)Big grin

Trail Monster

Congrats! Nice race!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Congrats on the AG win!  It's great to get to the point in your running where you can do these kind of things at the drop of a hat and not have to worry too much about it.  That makes a great reward for all the training and miles, in my opinion.  Sounds like a great encounter you had after the race.  It's funny, before I read the RR I looked at the pics and thought, "oh, it's Scotty's twin!"

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus

Congrats on the AG win.

Philliefan33

Good job, Mitch!

Don't call me Buttercup!

I *heart* you, Mitch! Makes me so, so happy to read these race reports.  Great job! Glad you're out there running.

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!