Beginners and Beyond

Malaysia 777 (Read 73 times)

Hip Redux

Docket_Rocket

Very sad.

I had not heard the part about terrorists.  Only that it was shut down by a SAM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Very sad.

I had not heard the part about terrorists.  Only that it was shut down by a SAM.

Sad and scary.

If you are using a SAM to shoot down a plane of innocents, you are a terrorist, no?

Anyway, the two major terrorist groups in the area are denying involvement. 

catwhoorg

Labrat

Russian army/Air force wouldn't generally be called a terrorist organization.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

Russian army/Air force wouldn't generally be called a terrorist organization.

Well, that may change if they just shot down a plane of non-combatants.   More likely, though, is that they supplied whatever rebel group did it with the weapon.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Not like the US navy hasn't done it in the past.

(Iranian Flight 655 for those interested)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

While still doesn't make it right, I don't think they were purposefully targeting innocents, so there is a difference in intent.   And do you really think the terrorists here are going to pay millions out to the families?

LRB

This is just an awful way to go for those passengers as there had to be a shit load of trepidation for getting on that stupid fuckin thing in the first place.  Not that any other way to go would be better but damn.

And how do you continue to work for the airline specifically on it?!

LRB

This is the fourth such incident of its kind, Russia was involved in two of the previous ones.

Hip Redux

This is the fourth such incident of its kind, Russia was involved in two of the previous ones.

Out of curiosity, I looked - it's happened a bunch of times!  Most of these are mistakes/accidents/wrong place, etc.

happylily

It's sickening...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Out of curiosity, I looked - it's happened a bunch of times!  Most of these are mistakes/accidents/wrong place, etc.

Oops, the Detroit News lists only three.

Hip Redux

Oops, the Detroit News lists only three.

I didn't know most of those.  Maybe they were focused on the ones that were not accidents, etc?

Did anyone see that it's exactly the same day as TWA Flight 800?  July 17!  Not that that was a shootdown, but there was suspicion originally that it was.  Odd coincidence?

happylily

I remember well the Korean Air Lines flight that was shot down by the Russians, in '83. The Soviets said the plane had invaded their air space for spying purposes. Whether true or not, I never could understand why they didn't just force the plane to land instead and arrest whoever was supposedly spying... How could they justify killing so many innocents? The two countries were not even at war...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

I remember well the Korean Air Lines flight that was shot down by the Russians, in '83. The Soviets said the plane had invaded their air space for spying purposes. Whether true or not, I never could understand why they didn't just force the plane to land instead and arrest whoever was supposedly spying... How could they justify killing so many innocents? The two countries were not even at war...

There's actually a few of those on that wikipedia list (for as accurate as wikipedia is).   WHY wouldn't a commercial airline know what airspaces to stay the heck out of as well?   And then yes, shooting down the plane seems like a drastic option, but then again, we know people have flown commercial planes into buildings, so...