Beginners and Beyond

Luke's Uptown Run 5k RR...wanted my sub 25 so bad... (Read 97 times)

Luke79

And I GOT IT!!!!

24:00...7:45 pace, although I think I really came in at 23:5x according to the race clock and a friend that watched me finish.

I met up with a friend (my boss) that was running this as well.  When we were jogging around to warm up, I saw Misty.  Always good to see her.  She joined us for the warm up jog, and then we kind of stood around for a few minutes before the race and chatted.

The race starts and Misty and I ran side by side for the first mile and some change.  We were doing about a 7:25 during that time.  In the 2nd mile, there is a huge hill and our pace slowed at that point.  I pulled away from Misty (she didn't want to show off how badass she is), so I cruised up the rest of the hill.

After that, it's fairly flat and some downhill, so I was moving along pretty steady.  I rounded that last corner and saw 23:3x on the clock and I said to myself "yes".  I really feel like I could have gone faster, but I was afraid of blowing up towards the end.  I wasn't exhausted at all when I finished.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied and now I can focus on longer distances now that I have slayed the beast that is sub 25.

Luke

Ball of Fury

Congrats Luke!!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Misty

Well, if you had just carried me up the hill like I asked you too, we could've stayed together Wink.

Seriously, you did AWESOME! Congrats on that ginormous PR!

Misty

Bless your heart.

Luke79

She seriously did mention carrying her, and I seriously neglected to do so.  I'm a bad friend Big grin

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congrats!! I knew you had it in you, and you killed it. Seriously great job.

Luke79

Congrats!! I knew you had it in you, and you killed it. Seriously great job.

Thanks Smile  I knew it was my allergies in that last 5k, when I only barely PR'd.  So glad to validate that theory.

Well done!

Dave

music_girl117

Hey, that's great!  Well done!  Were you doing specific speedwork to prepare for the race?

I'm more of a lurker than a poster around here, but my current PRs are similar to yours (25:35 for 5k, and 1:56:25 for HM), and I am also attempting sub-25 soon (probably in 2 weeks).  I'm encouraged by your race; you killed it! Cool

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Pfff, I read the thread title and thought 'oh, no, he didn't make it.'  You psyched me out.  Congratulations!

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Great job Luke. You killed it!

- Andrew

hog4life

Nice job and congrats on the PR and sub 25! Your times are really close to mine as well. Now that you got that, maybe you can carry her next time Big grin

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Great stuff, Luke!! It feels good, doesn't it? Way to go!

Pinktastic

Way to go, Luke!!  Congrats on an awesome race!!  That sure is a pretty, new PR!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Love the Half

Anyway, I'm very satisfied and now I can focus on longer distances now that I have slayed the beast that is sub 25.

Luke

Until you get the craving for 19:59.  Joking

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

Most excellent work, Luke! I'm so happy that you reached your goal.Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010