Beginners and Beyond

St. George Marathon - Quick RR (Read 73 times)

Ric-G

Here are some facts about what happened today leading to a new PR

Had an overall good lead up to the race and had no significant downtime or injuries during training. The last few days before the race I loaded up with ultra-fuel though it tastes like something else. I've grown to tolerate it. Race morning all I had was little more ultra-fuel a couple of hours before and some keebler peanut butter crackers, so I was living it up.

It was friggin windy and chilly at the start, and I hoped that wouldn't be the conditions throughout the race. Thankfully it wasn't. Race started while it was still dark, and it was a bit of a cluster f- at the beginning. I thought I could go thru the half in about 1:40+ or so. The first six miles went by like nothing. I decided to let myself go with what the course was giving me as opposed to trying to stick to exact mile paces. I also knew I would epically blow up if I just ran all out. I never felt like I was redlining it during the first half, but I was pushing the pace more than I had planned to. I did get to the half in about 1:39.

Miles 13 thru 20 have always been important for me in a marathon as the doldrums can start to set in where you can lose it, and that great first half will mean nothing. The miles clipped by thankfully. I knew at this point a PR was possible and likely if I didn't run stupid and/or blow up. I was using my pre-planned paces more at this point as I felt I had extracted all I could from the course and just wanted to finish well. At around this time the course started to bite back a bit as the (down)hills were feeling like punch to my right quad with every stride. It wasn't causing any great slowdown, so I just dealt with it and pressed on. By mile 22 I was doing that weird marathon mental math and trying to at least stay on an 8 minute pace til the end. Here are my splits for the last few miles:

Mile 22- 7:33

Mile 23 - 7:39

Mile 24 - 7:22

Mile 25 - 7:38

Mile 26 - 7:40

last .31 miles - 7:01

Turns out my final time was 3:16, so it was a minor negative split. I came in to the race thinking sub 3:20 was possible. The course itself (especially the first half in the mountains and canyons) is just beautiful if you can even take a moment to soak it in. Well -organized etc.. And along with the standard post-marathon goodies, there are a number of ice cream choices too which was great. Went back to Vegas post-race and jumped into the pool with my son which acted as part of my recovery too. Here is shot of me at the finish. Would definitely want to do this race again.

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

Great job and congrats on the PR!  I've heard the course is one of the fastest due to the downhills but it sounds like a quad killer to.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Congrats on the PR, Ric.

Smart race, and way to manage the quad vs. hills.

Hip Redux

Ric, you always seem so consistent in your training, it doesn't surprise me that you had a great race!   Great job Smile

happylily

Congratulations, Ric-G! You need to change your sig line to show that fantastic new PR! Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

You are a G, straight Gangsta...of the running variety of course, ha-ha.

I saw that elevation profile, does it take the same effort to run at MP, or are you on cruise control?

hog4life

Congrats on the PR, looks like you run a smart race.

SheCan

This marathon is supposed to be so pretty!  Glad you ran a smart race and got such an excellent PR.  Congratulations!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Pushed the pace a bit more than planned on the first half, ended with a negative split?  Nicely done!

Ric-G

thanks all...appreciate it.

D - you're right, the downhills can be deceiving and stride definitely matters. You will pay for poor form later in the race.

rick - Yes, I had to be mindful of MP because the course can make you think you are better than your training. In the latter part of the race I tried to stay close to MP becuz I felt ok there.

she - yes, the course is just gorgeous.

marathon pr - 3:16

Love the Half

I really like your splits at the end.  They show a slight fade but certainly no big slow down.  Your best race will always be run with an even or possibly +/- 60 second positive or negative split.  Excellent racing.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

meaghansketch

Congratulations!  It sounds like you approached this race very intelligently, and executed it very well.  Good training + good execution = good results.  Way to go, and I hope that pool time helps and your quads aren't too mad at you in the next day or three!

RabbitChaser

Congratulations on your new PR! Great job running a smart and strong race. Thanks for sharing the RR.

delicate flower

Great job, Ric!  Sounds like perfect execution.

<3

Great race and awesome PR. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]