Beginners and Beyond

It's Monday Again Penguins (Read 25 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!).

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

--John Bingham

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning D, same here 4 & gym later.

tracilynn

Morning pengs!

3M easy this morning and some kind of strength B.S. later.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins! I have a crick in my neck this morning, which is very very annoying. I'm ok with looking straight ahead, but not so much left and right. It makes driving interesting. I have fire extinguisher training this afternoon, as well as a talk about my facility to the new grad students. Which means I should probably review my talk from last year a couple of times this morning ...

Docket -- have a good six and weights!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4, and enjoy the gym!!

traci -- nice easy 3, and enjoy the B.S.!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

No run for me today but I will do some core work. I have a HM on Sunday (DW is running the full) so we'll see how much I run this week.

Singer who runs a smidge

Got my W.A.W done this morning, since I have a busy afternoon.  Man, it was muggy out there!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

OMG it's a SO42 sighting! I'm still around, clawing my way back from the depths of ITBS Hell. (Dramatic much? )

Anyway I'm on Week 4 of going back through C25k to slowly ramp back up...Honestly I had just about given up on running, but I just can't find any other exercise I like enough to stick with. I love tennis, but you get in shape to play that, not the other way around. Guys over 40 playing tennis will never get anyone into shape, it's not what you call "fast paced" LOL

Anyway long story short I found a PT that specializes in runners and she helped me more in 3 weeks than the last 4 months combined. Did laser therapy, which I had never heard of, and has me trying to switch to a midfoot strike, which is helping too.

So far so good, but I've been here before, only to have it flare right back up. We'll see how it goes.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

OMG it's a SO42 sighting! I'm still around, clawing my way back from the depths of ITBS Hell. (Dramatic much? )

Anyway I'm on Week 4 of going back through C25k to slowly ramp back up...Honestly I had just about given up on running, but I just can't find any other exercise I like enough to stick with. I love tennis, but you get in shape to play that, not the other way around. Guys over 40 playing tennis will never get anyone into shape, it's not what you call "fast paced" LOL

Anyway long story short I found a PT that specializes in runners and she helped me more in 3 weeks than the last 4 months combined. Did laser therapy, which I had never heard of, and has me trying to switch to a midfoot strike, which is helping too.

So far so good, but I've been here before, only to have it flare right back up. We'll see how it goes.

Try a pair of Newtons, that "might" help as well. They are expensive so look on Runningwarehouse.com and find a pair on clearance. It took me some time to get used to them but now I like them a lot.

Singer who runs a smidge

Or do some barefoot drills.  Bare feet are free!!

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Wrapped up a great running week with a 10.49 mile run on Saturday, 29.05 total for the week Smile

And so of course now I find that I have a small umbilical hernia. Probably either from moving or from lifting really inconsistently over the last few months. Rude. Suppose I should make an appointment to consult with a surgeon - it's really tiny and not painful at all, only pops out every once in a while, so hopefully I'll either have surgery ASAP and come back to running pretty quickly, or they'll schedule it for a couple months from now and I can train and get in a couple races before I have to take time off to recover. Or maybe if I wish really hard it'll just go away by itself, but it seems like hernias don't really do that :P At least if I end up taking time off it won't be for a running injury! I see no reason not to run in the meantime since it doesn't seem to affect it, but unfortunately I think lifting is probably not smart until I get it repaired.

Singer who runs a smidge

Lauren, sorry to hear about your hernia!  Good that it's small and not painful.

Now that I'm fire-extinguisher trained, it's time to go talk to the children about my facility.  Later, Penguins all!

Zelanie

Hi pens!  Went out for 6 easy feeling stiff and crummy, came back in feeling fantastic.  Active recovery works so well!  Without the run, I might have grumped around the house all day.  Which is not good because I have a TON to do!

D & PAD- Enjoy the running & weights!

Traci- Go ahead, tell us how you really feel about the strength training!

HsM- Hope the neck is starting to feel better.

Jack- Enjoy the rest week.  Hope your down time is helping you to get some pep back into your stride.

SO42- Welcome back!  I'm glad you found a running-specialized PT!  That sounds incredible!

Lauren- Sending healing vibes in this thread too!

Singer who runs a smidge

And now the children are educated, and I can relax for the rest of my afternoon!!

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Or do some barefoot drills.  Bare feet are free!!

First thing she did is had me run barefoot on a treadmill and made a video. You naturally strike midfoot of course. Helped me get what it feels like. I picked up the mechanics of it pretty easily, now the trick is being able to do it without my calves feeling like someone beat them with a hammer 

They'll get used to it but holy soreness Batman! I have tight calves anyway from years of soccer and overall lack of flexibility. Probably why my natural run motion is a severe heel strike.