Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Kamehameha Day WednesDAILY (Read 27 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Aloha! It’s Kamehameha Day! In Hawaii, today is a public holiday that celebrates Kamehameha the Great—the monarch who established the unified Kingdom of Hawaii in 1810. During this time period, Hawaii was the only nation that remained independent while the rest of the Polynesian islands were taken over by colonial powers. Kamehameha was nicknamed “the Napoleon of the Pacific” for this achievement. To celebrate Kamehameha Day, Hawaiians attend carnivals, floral parades, and horse races. There is also a large hula competition that attracts hula companies from all over the world. Take this opportunity to book a vacation to Hawaii, break out your Hawaiian shirt, or learn more about the history of this interesting state!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Don't have an Hawaiian shirt, so I am celebrating Kamehameha Day by turning the furnace on.

Hopefully it will stop raining and warm up so we can get in a 5 mile run after work.

Philliefan33

Howdy Penguins.

I did five hilly miles last night, tonight will be 4-5 at easy pace.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

When I live in HI, I heard Kamehameha all over.  Streets, Avenues, highways, statues, etc.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Aloha, penguins!  Never been to Hawaii myself.

Jerry- Hope it stops raining for you!

Margo- Have a nice easy run!

D- Hiya!

hog4life

Hey everyone, sorry, been MIA for a few days. Life has been busy. Did the MS bike ride of 45 miles on Saturday, then run 8.5 on Sunday. My ankle has been hurting a little so I took Mon and Tues off. I hope to do a few easy miles tonight to test out my ankle.

Jerry, lighting the furnace?

Zel, I love you! haha

CAKE!!!

Brilliant

Aloha!  Rest day for me.  But I'm going to take cutie-dog for a walk.  And then at day camp they are going to make me play soccer today...noooo!  My plan is to amaze the kids with my running skills so they won't notice that I never touch the ball.

Jerry - furnace?  Wow, I hope you get a run in anyway.

Damaris - do you even have a furnace in your home? Wink

Philliefan - nice running.

Zelanie - I'm sorry you've never been to Hawaii!  It's paradise.  Put it on your bucket list. Smile

obiebyke

Mmmm, Hawaii. I want to go to there.

It's supposed to be a running day but my hamstring is still messed up. I've been stretching and foam rolling and self-massaging. I can't decide whether to do my workout to try to loosen up (and be sure to keep it easy) or bag it and just let it rest today and maybe ice it. What would you do?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!! Well, the walk didn't happen last night as DH wasn't home when I got home. I need to train him to leave a note or text me or something, because I never know where he is or when he's coming back. Anyway, he showed up around 7:30 and started dinner, and we ate about 9:00. Yeah, I usually go to bed at 9:00. So I'm a tad sleepy this morning, but I have quartet rehearsal tonight, featuring coaching by the director of the chorus the other 3 belong to. I'm skeptical -- she's a music education major, but she's a rising junior or senior, I forget which. She's been doing barbershop for 3 years. Hello, I've been doing barbershop for 10. So between y'all and me, I'm not really expecting her to know more than I do. But hey, maybe I'll be surprised.

Jerryb -- Darn, I should've worn a Hawaiian shirt!!

Phillie -- good luck with your 4-5!!

Docket -- have a good SRD!!

Zelanie -- good morning!! hog -- hope your ankle has settled down!!

Brilliant -- have fun playing soccer!! Yeah, no skillz here either ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Aloha!  Rest day for me.  But I'm going to take cutie-dog for a walk.  And then at day camp they are going to make me play soccer today...noooo!  My plan is to amaze the kids with my running skills so they won't notice that I never touch the ball.

Jerry - furnace?  Wow, I hope you get a run in anyway.

Damaris - do you even have a furnace in your home? Wink

Philliefan - nice running.

Zelanie - I'm sorry you've never been to Hawaii!  It's paradise.  Put it on your bucket list. Smile

The AC is on all year, so no.  We do have a heater with the AC.  We've used it maybe once in the last three years.  We have had no Winters since 2010.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Obie, rest is always good to help our nagging pains.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

3.4 miles done in 30 minutes. I also have my push-up streak going; 30 a day for the month of June. Now, if I could get motivated to do some more squats...

Jerry: Maybe I will bust out a Hawaiian shirt today. Oohhh, maybe I will even get some Longboards to go with it!

No AC yet, but we have out ceiling fans going.

You Rang?

Aloha Penguins!

I've got four slow on tap this evening after dinner and before bed.

Like Docket, my place in SoCal has a furnace that is used once every three or four years.  Unlike Docket, we don't have AC and dont really need it.

I've got a business trip to Honolulu coming up in the next month or two.  It't really up to the client to schedule it.  And pleas let me assure you that when traveling on business, Honolulu is just like Houston, Hartford, or Hampton Roads.  I arrive, do what needs to be done, take in a little of the local cuisine and libations and then head home.  It's not as fun as it sounds.

Mahalo!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yeah, I remember celebrating that every year I lived in Hawaii.  Wish I was there now!

Non running day for me.  Weight training circuit after work.

I WISH it were raining..we are heading to 98 degrees today with a heat index of 102, sheesh.   Hope your weather behaves better for you, Jerry.

Enjoy the easy pace run today, Phillie, after the 5 hilly miles, way to go on that!

Ain't that the truth, Damaris?  I lived in downtown Honolulu for a while, two streets behind Kamehameha Street.   Enjoy your SRD.

Hope you're having a great day, Zelanie.  When do you go to Costa Rica?  I know you've said before but I keep forgetting.

Busy past weekend for you, Mitch, congrats on your ride and run. Hope the ankle issue is resolved quickly.

Congrats on the push-up streak, Jack!

Hope your soccer experience went well, Brilliant.  Why, yes, Damaris does have a furnace in her area..it's called SUN.....

obiebyke, sorry about the hamstring. Sounds like you've already pounded the crap out of it so you might just rest it today.  Good luck.

Well, HsM, I think you and the other lady should do some mud-wrestling to determine who will coach....and be sure to get photos...

Lurch, you ought to throw a few vacation days behind that business trip to Hawaii and enjoy the locale for a while.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt