Beginners and Beyond

The Cheerleaders' Nag Thread. Warning to all: Drama (Read 350 times)

meaghansketch

Well said. This thread is beyond stupid [not the same as calling everyone posting within stupid]. I ocassionally lurk over here, if that's ok, and even if it isn't. All I can say is Thank You RA for hosting such "discussions".

Yes.

I am a fan of the 'dinner party' model of internet forum interaction.  Someone has graciously invited us into their house to talk about a sport that we love.  We get to hang out with a bunch of our friends and talk about every good, bad and ugly aspect of the sport, from our PRs and other triumphs to our questions about training to our falling-off toenails, and do it with basically no moderation.  But we-- as a whole-- can decide to make it a fun party that's welcoming for everyone (including high schoolers who may be having their internet usage monitored), or we can do things that make others feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.  There's stuff going on in this thread that you would never- ever- (I hope) do at a dinner party, even if it was getting a little boring for you.

If you were at a boring dinner party, would you drop trou, start yelling obnoxiously, spike the punch?

No.  You'd just leave.

Mostly harmless

Yes.

I am a fan of the 'dinner party' model of internet forum interaction.  Someone has graciously invited us into their house to talk about a sport that we love.  We get to hang out with a bunch of our friends and talk about every good, bad and ugly aspect of the sport, from our PRs and other triumphs to our questions about training to our falling-off toenails, and do it with basically no moderation.  But we-- as a whole-- can decide to make it a fun party that's welcoming for everyone (including high schoolers who may be having their internet usage monitored), or we can do things that make others feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.  There's stuff going on in this thread that you would never- ever- (I hope) do at a dinner party, even if it was getting a little boring for you.

If you were at a boring dinner party, would you drop trou, start yelling obnoxiously, spike the punch?

No.  You'd just leave.

Hey now!  There is no room for your logical and well reasoned response here.

Now can we please get back to the name calling and butt pics? But no more naked doods please.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Village people

Yes.

I am a fan of the 'dinner party' model of internet forum interaction.  Someone has graciously invited us into their house to talk about a sport that we love.  We get to hang out with a bunch of our friends and talk about every good, bad and ugly aspect of the sport, 

No.  You'd just leave.

I think some people might find a little corner at that dinner party, maybe a user group, and entertain themselves.

meaghansketch

I think some people might find a little corner at that dinner party, maybe a user group, and entertain themselves.

Isn't that what L&O is?  I have no problem with that group (I know it's not for me, but that's fine) but this group was always supposed to be (in my mind, at least) not a corner, but an entrance hall.  The fact that we're not closely moderated over here shouldn't be an excuse to be jerks to each other.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Isn't that what L&O is?  I have no problem with that group (I know it's not for me, but that's fine) but this group was always supposed to be (in my mind, at least) not a corner, but an entrance hall.  The fact that we're not closely moderated over here shouldn't be an excuse to be jerks to each other.

Maybe not, but when you put yourself out there with pictures of your ass and your race times, you need to be able to handle whatever comes as a result of it.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Village people

I meant that RA is the host and all the user groups, including this one, are those satellite groups. Sometimed people mingle Smile

Jess runs for bacon

Maybe not, but when you put yourself out there with pictures of your ass and your race times, you need to be able to handle whatever comes as a result of it.

Ass pictures, fine, but seriously leave the finishing times out of it. I'll assume that you are just picking on Freesoul here, but no one, absolutely no one, should be picked on for their times. This is the beginner's forum for f***'s sake.

meaghansketch

I'm really not trying to call out anyone in specific, but I would categorize 'showing pictures of my ass' as not quite acceptable dinner party behavior (even among runners).

RSX

When anyone does a race report, we put our times out there good and bad. Has anyone ranked on your times? I have seen it done a few times indirectly. I haven't seen it done to anyone direct until FS the other day. If there is a subject that grosses me out like eating a placenta over in L&O, I don't open it up, so won't leave a comment there.

Fistmaster General

I love how freesoul keeps editing the OP.  Now it basically says "I'm jealous of MJ5"

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

MrNamtor

I love how freesoul keeps editing the OP.  Now it basically says "I'm jealous of MJ5"

are you for real?

bhearn

I'm really not trying to call out anyone in specific, but I would categorize 'showing pictures of my ass' as not quite acceptable dinner party behavior (even among runners).

Maybe you're just not going to the right dinner parties?

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I actually do not care one bit about being popular, which is why 1) I rarely post photos (let alone in their very own thread) and 2) I rarely write race reviews (Even when breaking the 20:00 barrier in a 5K which is important to me and something I've worked toward for over a year).

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Fistmaster General

are you for real?

This is the internet so you'll have to determine that for yourself.

"I... am a fucking moron." - MattM

Nevrgivup

Have to agree with this.

Maybe you're just not going to the right dinner parties?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.