Beginners and Beyond

10k and 5 miler RR (updated May 13 with 10k photo on pg 2) (Read 90 times)

Just B.S.

Archived 

happylily

Great improvement, Beth, and great finish times as well! Congratulations! That medal is really cute.  Good luck next weekend!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Welcome to the racing season...finally.  lol

You were right there last week and 4 minutes off of a 10k is huge!  Really good stuff so soon into the year.  Good luck next week!

Running strong in both races accompanied by two rewards - your son racing in the first, and the very cool airplane medal in the second.  Best wishes on your Mother's Day marathon

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

delicate flower

Nice racing, Beth!  That is a seriously big PR.  Nice going.  I did a 5K on an airport runway once.  Yup....about as boring as a course can get, but also could not possibly get any flatter.  Big grin

<3

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Beth!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

Very nice racing Beth.  Congrats on a huge PR, particularly given the tedium of the course.   Also, glad your son is back running with you.  It must be so nice to go to these events as a family.

Life is good.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Congrats, Beth! So glad you got to race with your family, and that medal is totally adorable.

hog4life

Beth, congrats on the big PR! The medal ist so cool too.

Beth, great job on the huge 10k PR! Especially impressive early in the season after the winter we had. With all the mileage put in for distance training (as well as all the cardio gains from swimming & cycling), you are probably a lot faster on the shorter races than you think. You were able to smash your 10k PR with no race-specific training; you could probably cut it down even further if you decided you wanted to focus on it (same goes for 5k).

And must be cool to be able to run with your son. My kids have zero interest in running. 

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice races, Beth, congrats!  Enjoy the shiny new 10K PR!

I dunno...running on an active runway...what happened when a lady backed into a plane propeller?  Dis-aster!    See..you just never know....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

SheCan

Great job on both races.  Fantastic PR on your 10k!   So cool!!  I find it very impressive that even after 14 years of running you're still making PRs.  That medal is adorable.  You might have to stick it on a chain and wear it about!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Love the Half

Nice.  Overall fitness manifests itself when you least expect it at times.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Just B.S.

Thanks everyone. I was pretty pleased with this past weekend.  Didn't feel like i was pushing too

hard so possibly have a better time in me.

For those that mentioned running with the family it really is wonderful. Not sure I would have still

been at it all these years later if hubby hadn't started running in 2004. And I am glad that son is coming

back to the healthy lifestyle we tried to model for them growing up.

On that note I was contacted by the local paper today. Hubby and son ran their first Half with me

in 2004 (the 10th anniversary of our local marathon) and now that son is back running we are planning

to run it together again this August on the 20th Anniversary (our 10th anniversary of first race together).

Our friend is the RD and we were talking about it at the race this past weekend. Seems our family is pretty

well known in local running circles Smile and they want to do a feature piece on us now that racing season has

started again to get people excited about the 20th Anniversary this year.

My secret dream is that I keep running fulls long enough for son to do another one and run it as a family.

Hubby and son ran 2 together but I wasn't doing fulls back then.

LRB

I did a 5K on an airport runway once.  Yup....about as boring as a course can get, but also could not possibly get any flatter.  Big grin

A portion of my half marathon was on an airport runway and it felt as if I was running up the side of a building!  Really weird considering it looked flat otherwise.