Beginners and Beyond

Raced a 5k RR - been a while! (Read 97 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

So I got out this morning and raced a 5k.  I fear them greatly, having ruptured my PF during a 5k back in 2011.  Since then I've been very cautious of shorter races and intense speed work generally.  In fact, I've only raced one since then, and it was in 3" of fresh snow earlier this year.  Still, my next marathon goal is going to require some more speed, so I opted to start my marathon cycle with a little more speed work than I typically do.  That led me to finding a 5k to really assess where I'm at.

I picked a smaller race of about 350 but something that was out of town just so I could race against some new faces.  There was no chip timing, so everyone really crowded towards the front.  I was in about the 3rd row, and I could tell the start was going to be a mess.  I turned to the guy next to me (who looked to be in about 24:00 shape) and said, "Some people are really going to get run over at the start."  You could tell that it didn't even dawn on him that he may have been too far forward, and he non-nonchalantly replied, "Yep, sure are!"  Oh well.

Anyway, the start wasn't too bad as I managed not to step on or get stepped on by anyone.  My goal for the race was to go between 17:30-17:45, and I just wanted to make sure I went out to a controlled start.  The course went up a gradual hill for almost the first two miles, so things spread themselves out pretty quickly.  I settled in and found myself running alone very early after I passed a couple of CC boys.

Mile 1: 5:49.8

I felt good through the first mile and was enjoying the run.  The neighborhoods were pretty and very well shaded which was helping to keep the sun at bay.  About this time I started to feel the pace a little, and just kept reminding myself not to back off.  There was a 180 degree turn in this mile, and the aid station there was pretty typical....two older ladies all set and ready to hand out water, questioning why nobody has taken their water yet ha.  I was either in 7th or 8th at this point, and realized that there was only 1 other runner I was going to catch this race.  I turned my sights towards him and worked on making up what was about a 10 second gap.

Mile 2:  5:49.2

Now I was really feeling it, but doing my best to just relax and press on.  I started to see the guy ahead of me struggle, and as we approached a hill with about a half mile to go I made my move.  Hills seem to always be the passing spot for me, and I did my best to do it decisively.  I could hear his breathing with me for a few steps, but as we crested the hill I knew that my move had been enough shake him.

Mile 3:  5:39.9

At this point it was just me and the clock, so I gave whatever kick I had to finish.  I didn't get my Garmin stopped right away, but the avg moving pace for the last tenth was 4:46.

Finish (unofficial until Monday):  17:33

The result was good enough for finishing inside the top 10 by a few spots, but the time was my bigger concern.

Overall, I'm pleased with how I did.  It was a PR by nearly a minute, although I expected that since I hadn't raced in so long.  For racing on some pretty tired legs after a cross country race Wednesday and some higher mileage of late, I'm very happy with where I'm at.  Now it's back to the marathon training grind!

This was funny.  I had no idea where to stop, so I ran the whole way through the chute.  I was about to run the guy over as he went to rip my tag off and barely hit the brakes in time!

Me getting my AG award.  A very Oski-esque shot if I say so myself.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Penguin Forever

Congrats on a very successful race!

LRB

You are not alone, I plow through the chute every time!

That is a very impressive time for someone who does not run middle distance!

I take it you did this for training purposes so you are not likely to race anther anytime soon is that right?

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You are not alone, I plow through the chute every time!

That is a very impressive time for someone who does not run middle distance!

I take it you did this for training purposes so you are not likely to race anther anytime soon is that right?

Thanks...and yeah, probably not going to be doing another one for a while.  Mostly likely I'm looking at a 10k in 3-4 weeks, but again more as a training tool.  I'd love to spend some time working that 5k time down, but these darn marathon plans don't leave a whole lot of time for other fun.

Excellent race SIAR.

Well done using the hills to your advantage and overtaking that guy during mile 3.  Congrats on a huge PR (:02 faster than my prediction Smile)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Great race!  Pretty sick running two 5:49's back to back! Cool

So for giggles, I popped your 17:33 into Mcmillan's to see what your marathon might be.  It says 2:51 which would put you 5 minutes to the good of a PR!  Pretty cool BUT....I'm wondering if you have a goal time for your planned marathon?

Randy

YAYpril - B-Plus

Congratulations, dude! Great race and great pacing too. Nice pictures. Smile

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job!! Congrats on a strong race, the PR, and the AG award!!! Beautiful splits!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Great race!  Pretty sick running two 5:49's back to back! Cool

So for giggles, I popped your 17:33 into Mcmillan's to see what your marathon might be.  It says 2:51 which would put you 5 minutes to the good of a PR!  Pretty cool BUT....I'm wondering if you have a goal time for your planned marathon?

Sub 2:50 is the goal, so I'm about where I'd like to be right now. I think my endurance is a little stronger than my speed, but it's going to be close and take a great 3 months of training.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Got a kick out of the comments at the starting line. I had a similar one in my last race. Meanwhile you're flying in that 5K for not doing race specific training. When are you going to take down that soft 10K PR? My crystal ball says 37-something.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Got a kick out of the comments at the starting line. I had a similar one in my last race. Meanwhile you're flying in that 5K for not doing race specific training. When are you going to take down that soft 10K PR? My crystal ball says 37-something.

I think the soft 10k PR has about 3-4 more weeks to live George Smile  I did get about 4 weeks of speed sessions (2 a week), and then I've also been doing a weekly cross country trail race that's a 3 mile race, so the combination definitely helped me.

Ric-G

wow, nice job and congrats on the pr! great way to kick off marathon training.

marathon pr - 3:16

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm impressed on a lot of levels with the entire race.  The finish time being right within your goal range, the consistency of the splits, and damn that's fast.  As someone who just completed their first full year of running, its amazing to see someone who is so in tune with their training and abilities.  I can only assume that comes with many many miles of experience.  To go into a distance that you don't run frequently, and put together a performance like that is mind blowing.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Very impressive job!  Congratulations!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Ric...thanks.  I've been running these long marathon cycles, so there are definitely lots of ups and downs, but this is a good up.

Awood...Thank you.  Knowing the training paces definitely comes over time.  I've been really running since 2010, so you'll be surprised to find how quickly you start to develop the same senses.  You've had an awesome first year yourself, and it's been cool watching you improve, and shrink.  I expect lots more big improvements from you still.

She can...Thank you kindly Smile

Kris...I'm loving that sleeping cat pic right now....I'm jealous of him.

Jay...Ha, glad I was two seconds to the good on your prediction.  I don't know how you slay those things so often.

April...Thanks...not as flattering of pics with the all out sprinting as the easy running lol.

Kristin...Thank you...can't wait to see your PR RR.