Beginners and Beyond

Fantasticate Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Fantasticate: to fantasize over something.  So what are you fantasticating over today?  Big grin

Happy Friday!  June 28th is Paul Bunyan Day!

Paul Bunyan's motto was "Axe and you shall receive." Joking

Rest day for me today, leaving work early for my follow-up appointment with my Primary Care doc to go over the 'laundry list' of items the ER folks found on Monday morning when I was in there:  gallstones, cyst on left kidney, nodule on left lung, etc.  Will probably get yet another appointment to have a closer look at that nodule on my lung.

San Antonio hit 100 degrees actual temp yesterday for the first time this summer.  Apparently, per our local weather guys, there will be more of those to come, oh happy happy joy joy.  Plan on taking it easy this weekend, just doing some running on my own.  For once, there are no local races this weekend.  

And Gail and I tomorrow are celebrating our 'other' anniversary of the year:  June 29, 1984 is the day we met and we've been together ever since, for 29 years.   When we met, I knew right off she was 'the one'.   She took a little longer to convince...it too me THREE whole days to convince her to move in with me. Joking

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Where have all the Penguins gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

L & O has picked them every one

When will they ever learn?

When will they ever learn?

Here Penguins, Penguins, Penguins, nice Penguins...

Big grin

Philliefan33

Good morning Scotty!

Good luck with the doctor appointments  A weekend without a race for you?  What is the world coming to???

SRD for me.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD for me.

LOL, Scotty!

Hi, Phillie!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Scotty and Phillie! Good luck with the doctor Scotty, sorry about all that stuff.

Enjoy your SRD Phillie! When does your Running Wizard plan start? I must say, I think the plan is challenging but I know it is going to prepare me to run my half WELL, not just cover the distance. I was going to do Hal Higdon's Novice 1 or 2... glad I didn't.... my weekly mileage and LR exceeds Higdon's Novice 1 plan 5 weeks from race day and I have 16 more weeks!

SRD for me. Much needed. I had 3 days in.a row running in the heat and my body is begging me for a break, so even if today wasn't scheduled I may have taken it anyway! Will head down to MD to spend the weekend with my bf later today.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hi Damaris! Enjoy your rest, too!

WOW so far we are ALL resting? Thought this was a RUNNING forum Joking

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Friday Pengs!  Guess I'm in good company with all the running slackers.  SRD #5 for me.  Happy Special Anniversary, Scotty.

Have a great day and weekend.

p.s. not an L&O poster, not even a lurker.

good morning friends

yesterday I bought a used older road bike. I plan on trying out this afternoon and putting some miles on it. I am thinking 8-14 miles. Hopefully it is fun as I am expecting Smile

I got kicked out of L&O so not to worry about me being converted to a L&Oser Wink

Phillie- enjoy the rest.

D- you really resting today? if so get online and do some running shoe shopping- I am sure you are running out of them Smile

Kristin- enjoy the rest. I usually try to take of mondays and fridays. 3 days of workouts in a row is good. The 4th one can add a lil too much stress to my body.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Zelanie

Another resting Penguin here.  I'm going to a conference today and tomorrow.  Jack is right, for a teacher in the summer, I am definitely doing it wrong!

Running Wizard question- the recovery indicators are amount of sleep, weight, and resting heart rate, correct?  All taken first thing in the AM?  So do you have to take your HRM to bed?

Scotty- Hoping for good news for you from the Doc!

Margo, Kristin, Damaris, Jerry- Enjoy your RDs!

Tomas- Hope the bike works well for you!

hog4life

Scotty, I've had the lung nodules "tested", if you have questions, shoot me a PM.

Tomas, better get you some of them speciality shorts!

Cherie, loved your pic the other day, looked like you were having so much fun.

I have done a little lurking in L&O, but that's it.

Do you Pengs remember the promotion arhat I talked about a couple months ago? I just got words that I got the job, yoohoo! Should give me about 10k per year. I hope to run this evening when I get off work, distance is undetermined. Has Jimmy showed up?

Zelanie

Congrats, Mitch!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Scotty: Good luck with the doc. I hope everything turns out ok for you, and congrats to you and Gail.

PF: Enjoy the rest day.

Docket: see above.

kristin: see above.

Jerry: see above.

T-rod: you are brave to go out in that heat and humidity.

Zel: Is it an overnight conference where they put you up in a hotel?  The best thing about those are the parties and open bars.

hog: Congrats on the promotion!!!

As for me, wait for it... REST day, but only from running. The younger DD has a HUGE swim meet this weekend so we will be spending a lot of time at that. She had to qualify for this meet based on time standards and she is swimming the 50m breaststroke and is part of a 200m IM relay team. She is also swimming the breaststroke in the relay. Next week she is swimming in Santa Barbara so we are going up there for the weekend and staying in some friends' condo. Older DD is off at Lake Havasu in AZ where it could be 120 degrees! I feel lucky because it's "only" 105 here.  I really hate that kind of heat. I am scheduled to run 11 miles tomorrow so I will likely get up at 4:30 to do it. Bleh...

Enjoy.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Two-headed turtle born at San Antonio Zoo.  No kidding!  "They' were named Thelma and Louise.

So what's new at the zoo? A 2-headed turtle

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/So-what-s-new-at-the-zoo-A-2-headed-turtle-4628510.php

Thelma and Louise, the two-headed turtle, is held by Craig Pelke, the curator of the reptiles, amphibians, and aquatics and at the San Antonio Zoo on Thursday, June 27, 2013. Photo: San Antonio Express-News / © San Antonio Express-News

Tomas, better get you some of them speciality shorts!

Do you Pengs remember the promotion arhat I talked about a couple months ago? I just got words that I got the job, yoohoo! Should give me about 10k per year. I hope to run this evening when I get off work, distance is undetermined. Has Jimmy showed up?

thats awesome about the position and the $$$.  congrats.

I need to invest in some, but not even sure where to get them. I guess a sporting goods store???

Jack- I figure riding a bike in the heat cant be as bad as running in the heat. 4:30 am to run is crazy. My alarm goes off at 4:55 Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas