Beginners and Beyond

Fantasticate Friday Penguins (Read 25 times)

tracilynn

Maybe support is the wrong shoe for you.  Go back to the LRS and get fitted anew.  You never know!

Im on my way to the LRS now actually.  I'll see what they say.  I have a $50 gift card from mother's day to use.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Good luck!

Im on my way to the LRS now actually.  I'll see what they say.  I have a $50 gift card from mother's day to use.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haha scotty if he ever starts running you can "meet" him

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Cherie- How do you find running on the treadmill? It seems like a lot of people who run most of their miles outside, the treadmill can be pretty boring.

AFM, I have 14.7 miles so far and my goal is 20. Two runs to go so I'm trying to decide how to split it. Can you tell I like to overthink things to the nth degree? I'm a little bit bummed out by my lack of outdoor running, but purely treadmill miles is better than no miles at all, I hope. It's late June in Louisiana, and I have the heat tolerance of a shucked oyster. I'm thinking about treating myself to a handheld, for the times I do get outside. My running route is 1.2 miles to the highway, 1.2 miles back home (repeating if necessary) and I think having cold water will help keep the dizzies at bay.

Coralie-- I prefer running out, but when it's too hot, I wish I had a TM handy more often.   And yes, it is boring, and it seems like it takes forever to do the same mileage.  However, if I lived where you do and had a TM available, I'd probably do most of my runs indoors also.

Bringing water when its hot helps not just in case you need it, its almost like a mental prop-- you know it's there.  Sometimes just getting a sip helps.  Have you tried running there and back, and then jumping on the TM to finish out your miles?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Traci, if you are trying different shoes, Road Runner Sports has a good return policy if you pay a membership fee.  I don't use them, so I'm not speaking from experience, but you could check into it.

Academy comes to mind, Tomas

Scotty, Tomorrow is my wife's birthday , so yes its a special day for us too.

Thanks. I hope tires are next to the shorts as I had a blowout day one on the bike. 8 miles from the house. Oops. But lil brother came and scooped me up. I also got about a mile walk in while waiting. So life is good.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

tracilynn

Im back from the LRS.  I got Nike Frees.  I tried on some minimal shoes with 0 drop too.  I was too scared to go from a 12+ drop to a 0 drop so I went with the Frees because they are somewhere in the middle.  He wants me to continue to barefoot run a little too to keep my form good and get my feet/ calves use to less shoe.   If this doesnt work out then the shoes are cute and I can keep wearing them ha. I posted a pic Of my new kicks on my FB page for those of you Im friends with.  i think Im friends with most of you here, if not Im   Traci Forsythe Nelson on FB

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

I think the Frees are neutral, no?  Or are they still support?  Hope they work!  Off to check the pics.

Im back from the LRS.  I got Nike Frees.  I tried on some minimal shoes with 0 drop too.  I was too scared to go from a 12+ drop to a 0 drop so I went with the Frees because they are somewhere in the middle.  He wants me to continue to barefoot run a little too to keep my form good and get my feet/ calves use to less shoe.   If this doesnt work out then the shoes are cute and I can keep wearing them ha. I posted a pic Of my new kicks on my FB page for those of you Im friends with.  i think Im friends with most of you here, if not Im   Traci Forsythe Nelson on FB

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Spent my day fishing.  Now, I have to get my miles in :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Spent my day fishing.  Now, I have to get my miles in :-)

Nice. Seems like you were on the water for a while. Where are all the beer cans?

Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Sloooow.

3.1 miles done, so only 2.2 to do tomorrow to hit 20 Smile Now off to make dinner.

tracilynn

Running warehouse calls it a "minimum neutral shoe"  I think its somewhere between a minimal and a neutral shoe. There is no support but there is a little cushion.

I think the Frees are neutral, no?  Or are they still support?  Hope they work!  Off to check the pics.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Nice catch awood!  You can def see who has  the runners legs in that pic!

Coralie, nice job on the 20 week

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

If these work for you, neutral is your thing.  Hope they do!

Running warehouse calls it a "minimum neutral shoe"  I think its somewhere between a minimal and a neutral shoe. There is no support but there is a little cushion.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Congratulations Mitch on your promotion and raise.

Tracilynn - I hope the new shoes work for you.

Scotty - cute turtle(s).  I hope all goes well with the doctor.  Given the heat, this is a good weekend not to race.

Coralie - congratulations on the miles.  A 20 mile week is great.  Maybe you'll feel so good you'll make it 21?

Cherie - enjoy your race tomorrow.

Margo, Kristin,  Zelanie, Damaris, Jack - hope you' all had a good rest day.

Tomas - hope the legs aren't too sore from your bike ride.

Awood - nice catch.  Looks like you had a good day on the lake.

Bin - are the Kinvaras the shoes that gave you problems before?

Jerry - how is the hip feeling when you walk?

AFM:  on the road, in Massachusetts tonight.  It rained hard off and on all day, so we ended up in a motel again.  There are some nice residential streets with sidewalks here, so I was able to do a nice 6 miles before dinner between showers.  Ended up doing some hill sprints to stretch the mileage as there were several short side streets that went up 50' or more.  It was really fun, especially after being in the car most of the day.