Beginners and Beyond

race management sour grapes? (Read 89 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

This post came across Facebook from Running Maryland:

Where Did All the Racers Go?
    Once Under Armour withdrew their support of the Baltimore Marathon, Corrigan Sports dumped the prize money that brought the D-List pro runners to town. While the race organizer still collected entry fees from the 26,000 athletes that showed up on Saturday morning, organizers thumbed their nose at the Baltimore athletes who kept the sport alive every weekend. No prize money, no coverage of the half marathon or 5K and other head scratching decisions.
    Why did the large bulk of runners from the Baltimore area that could have taken the top spots at today's event decide to run road races in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Ohio?
    You'll find out in the next couple of weeks as noted sports journalist and investigative reporter, Arnie Rosenthal, joins the new Running Maryland next week.

I'm not sure what I think about this post, but am curious about the upcoming article. As far as Under Armour, they can sponsor whatever they want. However, as a female, their new ads don't scream running company to me. Pretty sure the prize money was made possible by the AU sponsorship.

The runners who could take the top spots....let's see, run a hilly race or a flat one. No brainer.

The race is televised most of the morning, usually the focus on the full, but show the starts of the other races.

I guess what rubs me the wrong way is if this is your competitor, instead of pointing out their failings, or what you perceive to be failings, put on a better event.

Love the Half

I don't know many of the details on this one but the competitive runners don't care about hilly vs. flat.  Unlike us hobby joggers, they care about place rather than time.  I do think it's a shame when races (one more reason I'll never run an R&R event) pull support for those second tier professional runners.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Half Crazy K 2.0

Looking at Philly and Atlantic City (assuming those are the other races mentioned), there is prize money, but not significant prize money. Winner receives just over $1000. I guess this would draw regional top runners, but not international ones?

I did read something about last year's Baltimore winner (who was injured & DNF) wanting to run an Olympic Trials qualifying time. My guess is for those at that level, finding a flat course is important.

You can add Baltimore to your R&R list then, even though it is not an R&R event.

Ok I'm lost.

Why did the large bulk of runners from the Baltimore area that could have taken the top spots at today's event decide to run road races in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Ohio?

Because they could possibly win money elsewhere.  That "large bulk" can likely be counted on two hands, and 25,990 other runners are unaffected.  Throw 4 figures up for grabs, and you'll draw regional guys that can run 2:20 or below.  Take it away, and someone that fast *might*  show up just for a shot at winning or turning in a Trials qualifier, but generally you'll drop right off to 2:40 hobbyists without offering cash.

Here's how Buffalo played out this year, with a $2,000 prize for the winner.  It drew  7 "elite" men, but only 7 local men under 3:00.  Interestingly, our top local female marathoner turned in a time in Boston that would have won Buffalo.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ok I'm lost.

Because they could possibly win money elsewhere.  That "large bulk" can likely be counted on two hands, and 25,990 other runners are unaffected.  Throw 4 figures up for grabs, and you'll draw regional guys that can run 2:20 or below.  Take it away, and someone that fast *might*  show up just for a shot at winning or turning in a Trials qualifier, but generally you'll drop right off to 2:40 hobbyists without offering cash.

Here's how Buffalo played out this year, with a $2,000 prize for the winner.  It drew  7 "elite" men, but only 7 local men under 3:00.  Interestingly, our top local female marathoner turned in a time in Boston that would have won Buffalo.

I was thinking the "large bulk" was a relatively small number.  Even when prize money was offered, I think it was $25,000 for the winner, it did not draw a huge elite crowd, I think maybe 10-12 from Africa & Russia.

I've noticed when there is prize money offered up here in shorter races, the majority of the time it is won by the same woman with a pretty large drop from 1st to 2nd.