Beginners and Beyond

First pair of SmartWool socks...boooooooooo!!! (Read 593 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So, after everybody telling me that I need to try some SmartWool socks, I thought I'd shell out more for a pair of socks than I usually pay for a pack of them.  It's been a very cold week.  So, I was excited to see that they arrived in the mail yesterday.  I put them on and they felt great.  Then, I took them off and saved them for today's run.

Overall, they were really comfy, but today wasn't that cold.  So, I'm still not sure how warm they'll be on a zero degree day.  I noticed something though, and thought that there might be something in my shoe.  Maybe it was one of my fiance's hairs...I know...it sounds weird.  There was definitely something there.  Well, I got home, and turned the sock inside out.  A thread from a seam at the ankle had been stitched into the toe.  As I ran, it pulled the thread and the seam came undone.  One wear, one undone seam, and I'm waiting for an RMA from socksaddict.com to return them. 

I'm not usually the type of guy that freaks out about a product defect, but I have a drawer full of cheap socks and I've never had a defective sock.  How in the world does that happen?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jenven

Sucks! Must've been a defective one. I bought some SmartWool socks last winter (for the cold, not running) and they're still going strong.

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

not lazy, just tired

Had to have been defective. I've had Smartwool ultralight socks that have lasted for a long time, although my son has had a problem with his wearing out quickly. They've been fine at 0°. Lately I've switched to Darn Tough socks - they seem to fit me better.

Not if it makes sense.

Love the Half

I just buy socks at Wal-Mart.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I always have in the past.  I might go back to that.  I'm sure they will exchange them, but this is really complicated for one pair of socks.  They are super comfy, but when I weigh price, convenience, return policy, etc.  Wal Mart socks look real good.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

aplodder

Susan

Before you give up on Smartwool completely, run in the rain or snow wearing them.  If you don't like them after that, I will be surprised.  I've run in some pretty wicked weather in them and had my feet still feel nice and warm.

xor

Interesting you bring this up, because I know several folks who used to be smartwool lovers but stopped buying them because (they say) the quality went downhill.  I don't have a personal opinion because I've only had one pair of smartwool in my life, but it is something I've heard more than once or twice.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I guess a lot of it will come down to my experience going forward.  Is the exchange going to be easy?  I haven't heard anything back yet.  How will they perform compared to my socks from Wal-Mart and Target when the weather really gets nasty?  Do they hold up?  Am I going to have to pay for shipping?

Right now, I'm just in awe.  I'm a believer in, "you get what you pay for", but some of the best running gear I have is Champion C9 brand.  It's cheap.  It works. 

We'll see what happens.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

runmomto3boys

What a bummer - bah!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

That stinks! I will say I ordered a couple pairs a month or two ago and I love them.  I certainly would have been annoyed to spend the money and have them unravel!  Hopefully their customer service is good.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I just need to go for another run.  I think this is the real problem.  If these were from a store, I could drive there right now and it would be settled.  As it is, their customer service works 9-5:30 M-F.  I can't get an answer, and the online return policy makes it sound like I might have to spend more to get the replaced in the form of shipping.  They say $5.95 for shipping.  That's another package of socks for me usually.  So, that should not be the response I get from them.  It does say that I can't return them without first getting the return approved.  Ugh.

Here's the other big problem.  Every time I log on to this site, their banner ad is at the top of the screen.  I can't escape the socks.  They're going to be on my mind until Monday when I finally get an answer.  Does that make sense?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

the zombie socks are stalking you

xor

Yeah. You bought them online and the targeted ad system here works partly based on browse history.  One of the goofy side effects is that it will typically start spitting out ads for me based on something I just bought.  "Hey. I already have that. Stop it."  Of course, it can't tell whether you bought it or were just being a looky-loo, but still.

(you can subscribe for 10 bucks and not be taunted by smart wool socks.  Of course, that's another pair of socks...)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

DAMN YOU SMARTWOOOOOOOOOLLLLLL!!!!! 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Wandering Wally

I get my Smartwools at Sierra Trading Post. Makes the price more reasonable that way. Anyway, they won't really shine until you run in some wet, cold weather. They magically keep my toes nice and warm ever after a dunking in a puddle of melt water.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast