Beginners and Beyond

Would you run a race with someone else's bib? (Read 113 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Trying to get a general concenseus from runners about just how "frowned upon" this is. I know race organizers don't allow transfers of bibs, but I am pretty sure it happens all the time. Is that a terrible runner faux pas?? My boyfriend's co-worker registered for the MCM 10K and now can't make it. She doesn't want her bib to go  waste. I have met her a few times and chatted about running with her, and she thought of me and offered me her bib, free of charge. I'm very tempted. How "bad" is it to run under her name, in everyone's opinion?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

bluerun

Super B****

For some reason, it strikes me as a lesser sin if you're in the same AG, only because if you're not, the results get skewed.  But I probably wouldn't do it anyway.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

From the RD's perspective the major issue is probably the liability, e.g. no waiver signed, emergency contact info is incorrect, which also means any medical info, if needed, is also likely to be incorrect and increases risk there. There is also the potential to mess up AG results - I've seen it happen.

Personally I'd rather see someone bandit a race than wear another runner's bib and that is also frowned on.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

To me, unless it's with the permission of the RDs, I equal it to banditing the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I can see it both ways. While I agree with Bluerun that it could mess up an AG, the bib is already paid for so you are not stealing a spot in the race. Bandits piss me off, but again, you are not stealing a spot. I'm going to take the easy way out and say that I don't know if I would do it or not.

TJoseph

Not all races frown on it.  I just signed up for a 10K on Thanksgiving and there is a link on the email they sent me to transfer my registration to someone else.  Other than that, I wouldn't do it.

LRB

I may not be able to race an event I am registered for and considered offering my bib to someone in my running clique.  Then I read that since it is a sanctioned USATF event, I could be banned from future USATF races, so that ended all of that!

But to answer your question, I cannot see a scenario where I did not/could register for it myself, unless it was out of town or something I was doing to pace someone else.  But depending on the event and how bad I wanted/needed to race it, I suppose I would.

Am I going to running hell now?  Roll eyes

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I am certainly not placing in any age group.....at best I'd run maybe slightly under an hour and it's a large race. What if I removed the timing chip?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Jess runs for bacon

I'm pretty sure MCM allows transfers FYI.

I know people who do it, but I am not ok with it. I won't lecture people about it, and I do think it is worse to bandit.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I'm such a goodie goodie..... I am so tempted but I hate not playing by the rules. It is my understanding there was a window in which they allowed transfers, but that window passed like a month ago but I'm looking into it.

Hip Redux

I'm such a goodie goodie..... I am so tempted but I hate not playing by the rules. It is my understanding there was a window in which they allowed transfers, but that window passed like a month ago but I'm looking into it.

From the website:

"There are no transfer or deferment programs for the Historic Half or MCM10K."

The window to transfer for the marathon is over, yes.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks!

From the website:

"There are no transfer or deferment programs for the Historic Half or MCM10K."

The window to transfer for the marathon is over, yes.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I guess I would be going to runner hell too, because I would do it if I didn't wear the timing chip.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

I am certainly not placing in any age group.....at best I'd run maybe slightly under an hour and it's a large race. What if I removed the timing chip?

I say do this. Then you won't show up in the official results, hopefully. (unless someone is watching the finish to verify all the times)

As far as the liability and ID, make sure you're wearing your RoadID so they can properly identify you. Maybe write on the back of the bib in a big sharpie who you really are.

In the grand scheme of things, most of us will go to hell for much worse things than this Wink

(at least I know I would)

I say do this. Then you won't show up in the official results, hopefully. (unless someone is watching the finish to verify all the times)

Better yet, don't go through the chute at all.

You're not really banditing, since it's a paid spot, and you're not really ghost running, since you won't show up in the results as someone else.