Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins love running in the rain! (Read 27 times)

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Wink

I didn't realize it was raining until I stepped outside this morning. 3 cool miles done before the sun came up!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Good morning Mickey.  I do love running in the rain, but it would have stunk with today's temps.  I didn't check what they were, but it felt cold.  SO bizarre for late July.

AFM - Today's run was one of those weird ones.  2 miles easy, but the next 5 miles were 5 minutes "Hard" and 3-5 minutes "Jog".  If it says Interval pace, Repeat pace, Tempo pace, I know exactly what pace to run.  "Hard" is simply defined by effort.  So, I didn't look at my pace much.  A couple of times I looked down and saw a 7:05 or 6:55.  All I know is that it was hard.  The best part of this morning from a running perspective is that I was 214.9 pounds.  That's 100.1 pounds lost.  Yay me!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Micky and AW.  Another run/walk for me.  Think I should try the new Kinvara's?  Or should I try them on the TM first?  They feel good as slippers.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  6 X 400s tonight.

And I wish it was Friday.  That is all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Mick, love those rainy runs

Awood, 100 is a great milestone!  Well done.  Celebrate by downing a natty daddy

Jerry, enjoy the kinvaras.  Lots of kinvara wearers in the penguin group.  I love them too.

Damaris, enjoy your int later.  Friday always takes its sweet time.

We are having some awesomely cool mornings.  It still gets up to 90s but has been about 10+ degrees cooler in the mornings.

Did another sunrise run.  Nice.  4 miles.  Saw 6 other runners this morning.

Gotta run.  Taking my 4 year old to the dentist this morning for a check up cleaning.  Should be funTight lips

~~~~~~~

Traci

Wow, Awood, congratulations! 100.1 pounds is AMAZING!  *insert dancing bananas here*

Good morning, Jerry! I'd try the Kinvaras. Gosh, who doesn't like new shoes! Speaking of new shoes, I think I need to buy some new ones too. If I get the same ones I currently use, they're on super sale right now. Smile

Hi Damaris!  I wish it was Friday too. Enjoy your intervals tonight!

Hey Traci! I can't believe it's still July but I'm already running in the dark. Sunrise runs are awesome! Good luck at the dentist. My 3-year-old will be 4 in less than two weeks. He's been to the dentist more times this year than I have in the last 3 years! And I go for regular checkups too. Sheesh.

Bin Running

Mickey, way to go scoring those rain miles..

Awood, how do you remember all that while running? haa 7MM is crazy fast!

Jerry, try the kinvaras but ease in.. not too many running on those if you have hight heel drop shoes.. Just for precautionary measures.

Damaris, enjoy the 400s..

Traci, glad you enjoy the sunrise run... I like them too..

8M w/ 4@8:00.. Haven't done tempo for a while and kind of rusty.. Oh ya.. new shoes are here.. NB trail shoes for Friday work and Kinvaras 3 since I like the K2.. Brooks pure cadence was last month purchase  but how can i leave it for for group photo.. He will be angry.. **Man, I think I am crazy for thinking shoe will be angry**

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm not a big fan of being out in the rain.  If I have to, then I can do it without complaining too much -- it's not like I'm going to melt, after all.  But I try to avoid it.  More strength training today -- it's a leg day, which sometimes makes my knees hurt a little less.  I think I'll call and try to get an appointment for a haircut this week too.  My hair is getting long and annoying ...

Mickey -- woo-hoo for your damp 3!!

Awood -- woo-hoo for your intervalish run!!

Jerryb -- if you're not used to a reduced heel drop, then don't do much distance in the Kinvaras.  

Docket -- I wish it were Friday too!!  So sad that right after a weekend I'm ready for another weekend ...

traci -- best of luck to your kiddo!!

Bin -- shame on you for making your shoes feel left out!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Mickey - thanks for starting us out.  Good job going out in the rain.  I'm still a bit of a weather wimp.  If it's raining while I'm out, I don't usually mind, but I won't go out if it's raining when I start.  I probably need to change that, because you never know when you'll be racing in the rain.

Awood - congratulations on the 100 pounds.  Those round numbers feel so good.  Of course, the hard part is keeping it off, but as much running as you're doing, you've got the motivation to eat well.

Jerry - I hope you like the new shoes.

Damaris - enjoy your intervals this evening.

Traci - good luck at the dentist.  I was terrified of dentists as a kid (had a bad reaction to a shot) so I know my mother dreaded taking us in.  Nice that you have so many early morning runners.  I rarely see anybody on my runs, though I know there are a fair number of us in the area.

Bin - you run your temps fast.  So which of the shoes do you like the best?

HopesMom - I hope the weights help strengthen the knees.  Have you given up on the walk/run programs for now?

Another beautiful day here.  It is so frustrating to be injured when the high is only 80 and the DP is in the low 60's.  I want to be running!  I was really achy last night, but don't hurt this morning, so I don't know whether I'll try a couple of miles later or just stick to the stationary bike.

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - I hope the weights help strengthen the knees.  Have you given up on the walk/run programs for now?

For now, yes.  I'm not having a lot of luck walking without pain, so I'm not even bothering trying to run.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so I have a haircut today at 3:30, which means leg day is going to have to wait until tomorrow.  But I can get rid of this curly tangly mop!!

Bin Running

Havent ran in any of these 3 yet. Blush

My favorite shoes at the moment are actually mizuno inspires and elixirs.

When I came back on injuries, I usually used the one leg hop test to determine if I am ready to try 2-3 miles.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Mickey: A light rain is nice... a downpour, not so nice.

Awood: 100 lbs!!! Well done, son!

Jerry: Try the shoes!! I have a pair as well and only use them on runs of six miles or less. For me, they don't give enough support on the long runs. Like you said, they are like slippers. I wore them in my last 10k race and they were like racing flats. For me, they are built for speed and not distance.

Docket: You and me both...

Traci: Dentist with a four year old... lol. Have fun.

Bin: The blue ones are nice looking! I have the green.

HsM: Long and annoying... lol.

Ginny: Stick to the bike. It sometimes takes more discipline to NOT run than to stick to a schedule.

Today is running around, errands, and packing day. DW and DD are off to the LRS to get some new shoes. I have to go to the store, take the car for something, pack for Mammoth, etc...  Some bad news; there is a fire burning about 30 miles west of Mammoth and the air quality is bad. We are still going but some of the runs will have to be adjusted. Sad  It should still be fun because it's also about team building and bonding. The kids spend a lot of time together and they do skits, songs, etc... like at a "traditional" summer camp.

Have a good day.

hog4life

Rain can be nice, or it can be miserable. If I remember, I have a pic I will post of the miserable type.

Hoping to get easy 2-3 this evening. L foot is feeling a little better.

Hi everyone!