Beginners and Beyond

When do you start looking at future races and registering for them? (Read 117 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Just asking, I am already trying to figure up my 2014 races (HMs with a possible FM in the Fall) so I was curious as to when others start trying to figure out what races they'll be doing and how many.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Luke79

I don't know for sure what I'll do after my HM.  I'm pretty sure about a trail race in June, and I'll probably check EnduranceBuzz for some other races later in the year.  I don't plan more than a few months ahead typically.  You just never know what's going to happen.

Just B.S.

Depends mostly on two factors:  how far we are travelling for them and how far in advance they sell out.

Already registered for Ireland at the end of Sept. Not taking any chances.

Doing Disney Princess next weekend. Registered for that last Sept I think. This is the first destination

race I'm going to without my dear better half. I'm a little sad about it but it's a girls trip and my Christmas

gift and he had not interest in the Disney Princess!LOL

Have at least 12 others planned for 2013 but non registered for yet.

For more local races, or anything in 4-5 hour driving distance  we usually try to register prior to the prices

going up. With both hubby and I running anywhere from 15-20 races each season it can get expensive

(especially for duathlons and triathlons) so we try to save the $15-$20 X 2 that usually comes with a early

bird fee, when we can. 

We do typically look at the following year just to decide on what our destination races will be but don't

register until travel plans are confirmed.

happylily

I'm already shopping around for my 2014 races. It's one of the fun parts of my racing life. Smile But I haven't registered for anything yet.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I am taking a look at 2014 already, next May I am going to do the One America 500 Festival Mini up in Indy. I kind of wished I had registered for that one  instead of the Flying Pig Half in Cincinnati (the day after). but I've always got next year Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I am taking a look at 2014 already, next May I am going to do the One America 500 Festival Mini up in Indy. I kind of wished I had registered for that one  instead of the Flying Pig Half in Cincinnati (the day after). but I've always got next year Smile

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With the exception of a couple races that are annual events for me, I start planning my racing year in December just before the year begins. I eschew large races and generally wait until the last minute for on-line registration or wait until race day to register. It's a rare event for me to travel more than an hour for a race. Most are local and within 30 minutes of home. In over 40 years I can think of only two races I specifically travelled for (and one of those was to crew, not run) though I have raced non-locally when a race was convenient while on vacation or traveling for other reasons.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

pae

I still haven't figured out which races I'm going to be doing after the Flying Pig Marathon this year.  I have a few that I'm thinking of, but nothing that I've registered for.  I'm right now in the mode of trying to see how well my body handles my current training, since I've been running for less than a year.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

wcrunner2 - where do you live that lets you race without having to go too far? I'll be running in St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Cincinnati this year, all over 200 miles from me but we're making it a mini vacation also so it isn't huge deal. Next year I am looking at races ranging from Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and northern Indiana.

Pae - I am doing the Half, is there a video of the course like many other races you'll see on Youtube or somewhere?

PRs

LRB

I always have a good idea of what events I am going to run or have in mind to run.  Like right now, I could list a dozen of them for this year alone, but being the procrastinator that I am, I usually do not register for them until race morning.

All except the marathon here, which would cost twice the price if I did such a thing as wait until the deadline!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm still pretty new to this, but this is my current strategy for signing up for races.

5K's - I look for one, and sign up when I feel like I need to test where I'm at in my training.  If it's this weekend, I'll see if I can sign up day of even.  If it's a few weeks out, I'll sign up in time to guarantee a shirt.

10K's - I haven't run one yet, but I'm looking at one in April.  I'm in no hurry to register.

HM's - I want to find it in time to train for it (months in advance), and register in time for the discount :-)

Marathons - I'm registered for my first, and I was waiting for the January 1st discount.  That's 11 months in advance.  Yep, I'm running the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon.  I'll see you there.  I ran the half last year, and it was awesome.  I decided that I wanted it to be my first Marathon, and waited for the $55 registration on January 1.  I saved about $70.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I always have a good idea of what events I am going to run or have in mind to run.  Like right now, I could list a dozen of them for this year alone, but being the procrastinator that I am, I usually do not register for them until race morning.

All except the marathon here, which would cost twice the price if I did such a thing as wait until the deadline!

I couldn't do that, I've got to do these things in advance, for what reason I don't know but it feels good to have at least a couple of things on schedule and taken care of in my life. Smile I am sure that if I could, I would already be registering for next year's races. I can't even register for the Evansville Half until May so poo on them Big grin.

PRs

Ball of Fury

For half and fulls, we plan pretty far in advance...already planning for Goofy 2015!!!  5 and 10Ks, we just do whatever we feel like doing.  For obstacle races, we try to plan pretty far in advance because they are pretty cheap before the first deadline and then go WAY up!!  And count me in for Monumental Marathon as well!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Mmmmm...beer

I'm learning for the bigger events, it pays to register as far in advance as you can.  I registered at the expo last year for this year's RnR Va Beach and it was only $65.  Gonna do the same thing for the Shamrock, since I already know I want to run it next year and I haven't even done it this year yet. lol  There's also six or seven races on the local club's schedule that I know I'll be doing.  I figure I can throw in some smaller races here and there without too much trouble.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

When do registrations normally open? I know registrations for the Indy Monumental Half (and probably the Full too) opened January 7, so that was almost 10 months in advance I think.

PRs