Beginners and Beyond

Wake Wake Wake...Wake Your Booty Monday Penguins! (Read 26 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Goooood morning Penguins!  Time to Wake Your Booty and Rise and Shine on this Monday morning, starting a 4-day week for most of we Americans here!

Nice weekend of running.  On Saturday  was my running club's annual picnic that included a 5K Fun Run -  report and photos here:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/fd401467bd804012901e83fd484dfa5a/resume#focus - and on Sunday a nice outing along the San Antonio Riverwalk on a peaceful morning.   Then Gail and I went down to the Riverwalk later for a nice lunch, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the day we met, and 'people-and-duck' watched' along the river as we ate.  Our duck watching included a mama duck herding her 7 ducklings along the river.  They got quite a crowd of spectators along the banks of the river. The ducks and geese all along the Riverwalk are as much a part of the 'scenery and ambience' of the Riverwalk as all the restaurants, tourist shoppes, etc., so the river boat drivers giving people tours along the river are trained to watch out for them and were very careful to go around mama and her kids.

Non-running day for me but a long work day in store as I have some projects to finish up.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ended up doing 20 miles last night, so either a recovery run, rest, or some XT.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Morning. 4 done gym tonight.

obiebyke

Good morning! I really really need to get out for 30 after work. I'm getting NERVOUS about Friday's half.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

hog4life

Scott, glad you and Gail had a good day celebrating.

Damaris, nice run. I hope to lengthen my long runs as the summer progresses.

We had a good weekend celebrating my wife's 55th birthday. While we were out of town, had a short FE and got to meet RunTomRun (think that was his screen name). Anyways, he's on FB a lot and is a very nice guy. If you ever get to the Chattanooga area, you should look him up. I took a bit of a cutback week last week, so planning to get back after it this evening for 5-6.

hog4life

Good morning! I really really need to get out for 30 after work. I'm getting NERVOUS about Friday's half.

it's okay to be nervous, just don't go out too fast and trust your training. I can't wait to hear about it. I know you are going to do great.

Zelanie

I wouldn't recommend running 30 if you have a half on Friday!   Seriously, though, your preparation has been solid and you will do fine!

Good morning to everyone else!  I am about to head out for my 6, then I get to figure out when and if I have a meeting downtown today.

If anybody is interested, I started a blog about my time in Costa Rica.  I don't have that much about running in t yet, but I plan to include that too.

Scotty- Sounds like a really nice day with Gail!

D- Nice mileage yesterday!

PAD- Enjoy the gym!

Mitch- I am glad that you had such a nice weekend with your wife!  Tom does seem like a really nice guy.  He helped me get started when I was a C25Ker.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I took the Merrells out for a spin on Saturday, and they did Not.Work.At.All!  It felt remarkably like someone was shoving an ice pick into my knee with every step.  But the walk segments felt absolutely fine.  So I did 25 minutes worth of pain-filled soul searching, and I realized that I have been struggling with knee pain for two years now.  I've done a lot of stuff to make it a lot better -- I can stand, walk, get up and down stairs, etc.  But every time I've tried to run, it's quite painful.  So I am bagging running for the foreseeable future and "downgrading" myself to walker, with no intentions of ever returning to running.  I figure I'll do 25 minutes per walk this week, then add 5 min per walk each week until I'm doing an hour, and then see where I want to go from there.  So to that end, I walked 25 fairly pain-free minutes this morning while DH and Dusty did W1D1 of C25k.  Oh, and the Merrells work just fine for walking!

Morning, Scottydawg!!  My booty was up at 5 for our outing, and it was nice and cool for a change!!  Then of course the sun came up ...

Docket -- woo-hoo for your 20 last night, and enjoy whatever you end up doing today!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 4 done!!

obie -- I'm assuming that's 30 minutes, not 30 miles right?  You'll be great on Friday!!

hog -- glad you and DW had a good time!!

Zelanie -- enjoy your 6!!  The food pics looked great!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

100% normal. Use it to your advantage. Some nervous energy is good but keep it in check for the first few miles.

We all have a dentist appt today so my run will have to wait until tonight. The hot weather is here and I can't run in it. Bleh...

Docket_Rocket

Obie, if I were to do 30 miles tonight, I would be scared too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Hello Penguins.  Hooray for short work weeks!

Scotty  -- enjoy the RD

DR -- I love how you can just nonchalantly mention that you ran 20 miles yesterday, and maybe you will rest today.

PAD -- gettin' it done.  Good job!

Obie -- Keep Calm and run easy this week.  No need to burn out before Saturday

Mitch -- Good morning

Mel -- I was thinking about you yesterday as I watched the soccer game.  I imagined you were having a fun time, cheering for the "home" team.  Thanks for the link to your blog -- I'll check it out.

HSM -- Walking or running, it doesn't matter as long as you're moving.  There's no sense in forcing yourself to be a runner if it hurts; there are plenty of other ways to get some exercise.  The important thing is to keep healthy and sane.

Jack -- hope you have a boring dentist appointment, with no surprises

AFM -- I'm going to ride tonight.  I seem to have settled into a run 2 day  /  XT 1 day pattern that I like for now.

obiebyke

Ha yes! 30 minutes. Ooooops. Thanks for the good wishes, guys!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Bin Running

No running. Still on world cup..

obiebyke, trust your training.. You will do great.. Remember to report back. Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Zelanie

My 6 went well.  Started out with my legs feeling heavy, ended feeling good.  Maybe just about ideal for an easy day.  Tomorrow I think I will use the metric treadmill to help me run my 1K intervals. Smile

Hsm- Sorry that the running isn't feeling good, but I look forward to hearing about how your walking plan is going!  Building up walking is a great way to get out there, and a good use for those pretty shoes!

Jack- You should come down to Costa Rica.  It's cooler.

Margo- Sounds like a good plan!

Bin- Maybe you need somewhere where you can run and watch the matches.  I used to be amazed that those players could physically keep running for that whole time.  Now I know that's no big deal for somebody who is conditioned, BUT they are running hard!  Nothing like 90 minutes of sprints with the whole country watching you!