Beginners and Beyond

Cake vs. Pie Tuesday Penguins (Read 30 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 with 800s tonight.

Of course, cake wins.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

obiebyke

Cake!

My left hamstring is so sore! I think from all the gardening I did on Sunday. I might do some body weight resistance type stuff today, but I think I'll skip Bodypump. We'll see. No running today.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

In all the excitement of this past weekend, I forgot to post the cake I made for DH's birthday.  I would take cake over pie.  DH might actually go for the pie, but not for a birthday.

I have my first speedwork of this training cycle tonight.  12 x 400.  But my target pace (2:01 for each rep) and the recoveries (400m) seem pretty reasonable for 400s, so that should be nice.

Damaris- Good luck with the 800s!

Obie- Hope the hamstring clears up soon.

Scotty- Sounds delightful!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  8 with 800s tonight.

Of course, cake wins.

Damaris and I agree for once!  Cake all the way.  I don't like pie at all...unless it's an ice-cream Eskimo Pie. 

For those of you that use the hamster wheel, this morning was an NTR run for me - No Treadmill Required.  I got up at 5 a.m. today to start my morning running schedule for the season as the after work temps are now getting way to hot (95 today with a heat index of 101).  Temp of 71 degrees, humidity of only 68% and dew-point about 63, not bad at all.  I went to the Y near my house, started my run/walk about 6 a.m, and did 4.1 miles along one of my hill routes.  This one had 5 uphills and 2 downhills.  I did stop for a bit along the way after I got to the top of the big Zoo Hill so I could watch the beautiful sunrise over the Japanese Tea Garden which was below me.  Very nice!  I am not a very good morning person but this morning's run/walk was great.   And it's nice that, although my work hours are 7 a.m. - 4 p.m., on my running mornings of the week (Tues and Thurs) my boss lets me come in at 8:30 a.m. and then just make up the time, so I have plenty of time to do my morning thing, sweet. This morning running might have something to it, I might be able to get used to this.

Good luck with your run, Damaris, hope the smoke in your area has dissipated.

Sorry about the sore hamstring, obiebyke.  Foam-roll that puppy.

Nice cake, Zelanie!   Good luck with the speedwork!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  So I thought about things on the way home last night, and I decided starting up C25k again right now wasn't a good idea.  I'll be out of town all next week for work stuff, and running will be iffy at best.  So I decided to walk this week, let the chips fall where they may next week, and then switch DH, Dusty, and myself to mornings and restart C25k the next week.  So I walked last night, and will again tonight.  And, of course, cake is the best!!  

Docket -- I agree!!

Obie -- gardening always leaves my hamstrings sore too!!

Zelanie -- that is a yummy looking cake there!!

scottydawg -- wow, sounds like an AWESOME morning run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

LRB

I love you. 

Sorry Brilliant, I had the time of my life though.

LRB

I just cannot leave her Zel, sorry....

Wait, WHY CAN'T I HAVE THEM BOTH?! 

Brilliant

I'm gonna have to say pie. Smile    Although Zelanie, that German chocolate looks fantastic!  It's one of my favorites.

Scottydawg, sounds like a beautiful run this morning!

Obie, take care until your hamstring feels better!

Hopesmom, sounds like a good plan to start next week.

I did 4.7 miles of intervals this morning.  My busy summer starts today.  I'll be volunteering for the next few weeks at a day camp for kids in a poor/immigrant area.  I'm excited to go meet the kids that I'll be hanging out with. Smile

Brilliant

I just cannot leave her Zel, sorry....

Wait, WHY CAN'T I HAVE THEM BOTH?! 

I agree!  I totally love cake AND pie!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

If it's banana cream, I'll take the pie. Well, blueberry and raspberry as well.

I ran 6.2 miles with 8 x 400 at 6:30 pace. It felt ok, considering it was my first speed session in a long time. Gosh, I really want a piece of pie and/or cake now. Thanks Zel and Brilliant!

Gotta go for now. My chair and paper are waiting for me.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Pfft!

If there must be a choice, Pie all the way!  Pie Pie Pie.  Pie   Pie Pie ....  Pie Pie Pie.  Pie Pie

Pie

But if I don't have to chose then I love some cake too, but Pie before and after the cake.

Pie

Pie

Pie

Pie

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'm going to have to say cake wins for me!  DH loves pie though.  Above cake and pie for me are: brownies!!!!

Now you guys have made me hungry and I'm supposed to be on my best behavior so I don't gain weight during this injury :-)

Heading down to the pool shortly for a bit of a swimming workout before work.  I may bring my goggles with me and do legit laps instead of just the kicking exercises that I've been doing.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

On the subject of Pie.

I love Pie

I love Avocado

Last night I experimented and made an Avocado Pie

This is not a pie that I would ever crave.  But it was interesting...  Think: a hint of Key Lime pie with infusion of avocado...

My 7yo DD took a joyous bite only to clasp her hands to her mouth and dash for a glass of water!  (Not exactly kid type of pie)

LRB

Okay that's different!