Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILY Penguins Celebrate 4th of July (Read 26 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning and Happy 4th.  Should be taking a walking RD today with DW and build an appetite for some ribs.  Hips a little sore, but should be okay for walking.

Have a great day!!!!

tracilynn

Morning Jerry, does your hip hurt going up or down stairs? The first time I had ITB it binded my Right hip badly.  Most of the time it binds the knee but not always.  Its probably not a muscle if its been hurting this long, right?  Do you have a roller?  Is your wife still running?  That must be tough.  Hopefully she wont rub it in too much.  Smile

I will be running later in shoes as my Raw toe is still growing new skin Smile

I did bulgarian split squats last night and i noticed I am real wobbly on my left leg REAL wobbly.  My right leg seems easy though.  i must be much weaker in my left leg??  How many reps is a good number to do those? i just need to make sure my knee doesnt go past my toes in the bend, right?

We are taking all 3 little ones to see DESPICABLE ME 2 this morning.  Its the first trip to the theater for them. Should be funShocked.  HA. I hope we dont get thrown out

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Jerry, enjoy the ribs..

Traci, hope you get to watch the whole movie and not get thrown out.. haa

Happy 4th July to everyone.. Planing a 8-9M later.. like in 5-10 mins.. Home alone again today..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Happy Independence Day to all my compatriots!

Jerry - that does sound delicious!  Easy on the hips...

Traci - Bulgarian split squats?  Didn't Ivan the Terrible use those for torture prior to inventing the iron maiden?!  LOL  Good luck taking the wee one's to the theater.  I, actually, miss those days.

Bin - have a great run.  Enjoy the alone time if possible.

AFM - just finished up my coffee.  I'm off shortly for my 3 miler.  Then home to make some watermelon gazpacho for a cook out with in-laws later.  YUM!

hog4life

Jerry, thanks for the start. Sorry about the hip, did you get a doctors appointment made?

Traci, I seen the kiddos pic on FB, so adorable. I know its rough sometimes, but when they get older, think teenagers, you will wish they were little again. Have fun at the movies. I can't even remember how long it's been since I've been to the movies, dang I'm getting old!

Bin, enjoy the 8-9.

Vance, have an easy 3.

Kristin, good luck, hope you do well in the 10k. Your running outfits are always cute. Do you like the compression socks/sleeves? I'm thinking about getting some.

AFM, I just finished my longest run since early May, it was 7 miles in light rain. Just as we were finishing up, it started pouring. There were 3 of us, and it was so nice to have some company. There are 3 FB groups that I'm in, and there always seem to be small groups of people getting together, it's really nice to have some company once in the while.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  7 miles, including the 4th of July 5K done.  Hubby PRd, I ran great.  RR later.

Jerry, sorry about the hip.

traci, enjoy the movie.

Bin, enjoy the 8-9 later.

Vance!  Enjoy the 3.  Where have you been?

Mitch, nice run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Whee today I celebrated my independence - from shin splints! Did my first track workout with the group since February. My coach put me with a few others running ~9:40 pace so it wasn't much faster than what I usually run on my own, was lots of fun. The workout was 1 mile at 5k pace (obviously much slower than 5k pace for me), 1200 + 400, 2x800, and 4x400 with 200m recovery between intervals and 400m between sets. Our group skipped the 1200/400 and I called it a day after 2x400 to play it safe even though I felt like I could have finished it. Legs feel great, never felt winded, so I'm pretty happy. Total with warmup and recovery was 4.28 miles in ~42 minutes, so not much more than I've bedinging (MTA: that should read "not much more than I've been doing"... I think my iPad smokes crack before it autocorrects my typing) just with fewer walk breaks.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good news on the shin splints, Lauren.  Get the eBay clothes yet?

Nice long run Mitch,  congrats.

Traci, hip a little stiff/sore when I raise my knee up, but I can do stairs with little or no pain.  Knee is fine.  DW walks with me, then runs ahead and back.

Cancel the ribs, its pork pitas when DDs show up.

Finally, we're going up to 80 today.

From the Internet.

Jerry - yeah they showed up last night, washed and ready to wear this morning! Unfortunately I learned that inner thigh sweat + blue shorts = totally looks like I peed my pants. At least they fit and they're comfortable!

Bin Running

10M done.. More than half in rain.. It's an out and back route so have to press on.. No lightning so pretty safe.. fully drenched though..

Enjoyed a nice bowl of bean curd and off to bath now..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mitch - running in a nice ran is always fun - except for chaffing on long runs.  LOL

Damaris - HUGE congrats to your DH!  I was laying low for most of June - fighting some running blase'.  I'm back - getting serious about my first full in 11.5 weeks.  

Lauren - well done!

Jerry - well, pork pita's can be pretty tasty also - put a little smoke on the pork, toss in some sauteed onions/green peppers... oh yeah.

Bin - what are your thoughts about running in the rain.  I always say I love it.  Except for the time I was in northern Florida... started running on a mostly sunny day - 30 min in someone turned on the deluge for 10 min.  Then the sun came back out and it was like running in a sauna.  It was awful.  Bean curd - well, not sure if you're referring to tofu or not but I do enjoy tofu a LOT.  Especially the extra firm, sauteed with broccoli, onion, snap peas, and some spicy brown sauce.  Yum

AFM - 3.5 on some single track trails today.  Very nice run.  Its taking a bit longer than expected to get my body warmed up - probably just from going easy in June.

OK - off to throw together my watermelon gazpacho and head out.  Everyone have a great and save day.

Docket_Rocket

Good to hear, Vance!

RR posted.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning, penguins! I got up and made blueberry scones this morning with the blueberries we picked, they should be ready soon!

The neighbors usually go to the nearby reservation and buy enough firepower to take several local towns, so we will probably stay home to reassure the dogs tonight.  DH has to work today, but his dad is playing the festival right outside his office at lunchtime, so we will probably go and meet him down there for lunch.

Then it's a run with the running club and maybe a beer before I need to be back home.

Jerry- Enjoy the pitas and the time with DD!

Traci- PT started me on 3 sets of 10 for the split squats.  I think I'm ready to go to 12 reps or 4 sets now, just gotta talk myself into it.  I usually have to get my back leg up on the chair and then hop forward a bit to make sure that my knee doesn't go past my toe.  I do the same number on my "good" leg as my "bad" one, and it seems to be catching up.  Have fun at the movie!  I'm sure with that one, and especially at a matinee, that you will be just fine.

Bin- Sounds like a nice run, even if wet!

Vance- Watermelon gazpacho sounds fantastic!

Mitch- Nice 7 miler!  Glad to see you are getting some distance back.

D- Congrats to both you and DH!

Lauren- What a bedingy sentence! Wink  Glad you made a track workout.  I can't wait until I can start those again.  Wait, what did I just say?

Bin Running

Vance, can't say I like running in the rain.. The rain at where I am are always too heavy to be enjoyable..  I also don't like my shoes being wet and all squashy.. haa  Well, I don't hate it too.. If I am not out when it started, I will not go for the run. But if it rained after I started, I will carry on unless there's lightning. However, I do feel more bad ass running in the rain and the pace are generally faster..

The only time I enjoyed running in the rain is when it is a very light drizzle.. almost like mist but that don't happen so often here..

Beancurd as in the dessert type.. Not tofu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douhua

I actually made it myself.. A pre-pack powder and some water.. I throw in come chia seed to "spice" things up..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar