Beginners and Beyond

Funny story for you.......share yours (Read 158 times)

Just B.S.

I just shared this on the general forums on a thread started by K L Duke about abuse or accidents

or weird stuff that has happened to you on a run. Hadn't thought of this story in years but thought a

few of you might get a laugh out of it.

This is about 6 or 7 years ago.........I was out for 11 mile or so run by myself.  I was running thru several different

areas in our town and this car full of teenage boys drove by me 3 different times yelling, cat calling and the final

time one of them a threw slushy out the window and almost hit me.

I was really pissed at that point but they took off, not much I could do but memorize the licence plate. That was

natural to me anyway because at that time I was working at the DMV and it's just something we all seemed to do.

Plus it was easy to remember because it had repeating digits.

I kept running then cut down a side street that lead to a trail, hoping to not see them again. Freaking lo and behold

they were there at the end of the driveable section. They had gotten out of the car and were under  the train bridge

smoking pot.  I knew they hadn't seen me so I snuck up and over the bridge and ran as fast as I could. Yes I could

have gone back the way I came but it would have added another 6 miles to my run!

Funny part came a few days later. Older dude comes in to transfer that vehicle into his  name. I instantly recognize

the Plate # and color  and make of the car. I ask him if he has teen boys.....he say's no I'm buying this car from a

friend who is a cop, he as a teenage son who drives the car. The Father is upgrading the car for him.

So I told him the whole story and how scared I was blah blah blah, even described the driver. He was really pissed

because he knows this kid and says the Dad would NOT be happy, he is a cop in our town...........   told me when he

went back to get the car he was going to tell the Father the whole story.........sometimes  one just never knows

when bad behavior is going to come back and bite you in the ass!!Big grin

I really wish I could have been a fly on the wall when the Dad confronted him.

Chairman

I was running along the curb in my suburban neighborhood when a car full of teenagers passed, and one yelled "YOU CAN'T RUN FROM JESUS!"

I was momentarily startled, but couldn't keep myself from cracking up for the next half mile.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

I had a hot chick offer me a ride once. It was a Saturday evening and she was all dolled up.

- she was worried about me more than hitting on me unfortunately.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

i ran through the middle of some teenagers that were in the middle of smoking a joint a couple of years ago. it was on the only trail we have by us and not many people know about it. I guess they were to busy coughing and talking to hear me coming. Scared the day lights out of them, they all jumped a foot and moved over and reached for cigarettes. I said, "it smells like shwag". Then one of the guys threw his plastic sprite bottle at me but his weak doper arm couldnt reach that far as I had already put about 30/40 yards between us. I heard the girls start laughing. i thought it was funny but i think he took offense to me refering to his pot as shwag. Cool

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

andee1296

There is something about teenage boys. I think it was in August 2006 and I was running at the local high school track one evening shortly before sunset. I was all alone until 5 or 6 teenage boys showed up on bicycles. They were riding their bikes around the track (not allowed) and that was annoying me. Then they stopped and were hanging around in the bleachers. I had switched directions and was running clockwise when I saw 2 of them coming towards me from the other direction - stark naked. I swear my first thought was to wonder whether they were training for some Greek Olympics style nude race. They ran 2 laps then stopped. I could not decide whether to laugh or ignore them. I wanted to ask them if that didn't hurt but I said nothing. l needed to run one more mile and there was no way I was going to let them chase me off. They left the area, but as it was getting dark, I could hear them banging around in the baseball dugout nearby. That finally scared me and I hightailed it out of there the second I finished my run. Just to add, there is a caretaker living on the premises but he was probably drunk and probably wouldn't have even heard me if I'd had to scream for help.

There is something about teenage boys. I think it was in August 2006 and I was running at the local high school track one evening shortly before sunset. I was all alone until 5 or 6 teenage boys showed up on bicycles. They were riding their bikes around the track (not allowed) and that was annoying me. Then they stopped and were hanging around in the bleachers. I had switched directions and was running clockwise when I saw 2 of them coming towards me from the other direction - stark naked. I swear my first thought was to wonder whether they were training for some Greek Olympics style nude race. They ran 2 laps then stopped. I could not decide whether to laugh or ignore them. I wanted to ask them if that didn't hurt but I said nothing. l needed to run one more mile and there was no way I was going to let them chase me off. They left the area, but as it was getting dark, I could hear them banging around in the baseball dugout nearby. That finally scared me and I hightailed it out of there the second I finished my run. Just to add, there is a caretaker living on the premises but he was probably drunk and probably wouldn't have even heard me if I'd had to scream for help.

that is some seriously crazy stuff.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

This is a very entertaining thread, but after reading those stories...I got nothin'!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Okay so I am totally paranoid about running in the dark.  But I have done it.  In the area where I used to run, it was probably the safest place in the entire city.  One night, it was late and I was finishing up a long run on paved trails.  I noticed that one of the emergency lights was on, you know the kind that you push when you need immediate assistance and it dials into the cops.  Thought it was odd but no one was there.  About a quarter a mile from there, there was this strange homeless guy, disorderly, not making any sense.  I just ran by, ignoring him, minding my own business, and some police men came up, as I was just about to the road, and started talking to the guy.  After I crossed the street my paved trail continued but this area was lighted so it was pitch black.  I couldn't see anything.  Then I started hearing more sirens.  I was freaking myself out and sure that I was going to be blindsided by someone hiding in the bushes.  Fastest run probably ever!  Nothing happened, thank God, but scared me to death.

Didn't scare me that much because awhile later (couple years), I am doing a long run and I leave before the sun is up, not realizing how dark the trails are going to be at 5am.  I can't see anything.  I follow the trail, which is pretty deserted, then winds through a neighborhood, then back, then it dead ends into a ditch bank for about a half mile then the trail picks up.  Again, I'm freaking myself out and when I go off road toward the ditch bank, I can smell cigarette smoke.  I can't see anyone because it's so dark, but it freaked me out enough for me to turn around and run through the neighborhoods.  Threw my entire course off, but I was sure I was going to be raped and left for dead on that ditch bank in the safest part of town.  Looking back, that part of the trail backed up to people's back yards, so it was probably some guy in his backyard having an early morning smoke before he got ready for work.

I've also had a group of teenage boys drive by yelling, and one of them threw a half full soda at me.

It startled me, and then pissed me off.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

All of the drink throwing stories remind me of the Nicholas Cage movie The Weather Man.  Nicholas Cage is a weatherman and everyone hates him.  People keep throwing drinks at him as he walks in the street. Then he started carrying a bow and arrow around the city and he says this line: "People don't throw things at me anymore... ...maybe because I carry a bow around."  Not a very good movie but anyways.

I've also had a group of teenage boys drive by yelling, and one of them threw a half full soda at me.

It startled me, and then pissed me off.

Philliefan33

Stories like these are why I always tell my girls:  boys are weird, but some of them grow up to be very good men.

About a year ago I had a female runner call me a stalker. We were both running at the HS track. She was tthere before me, and I settled in about 100 meters behind her in a different lane. After a couple of laps she reversed direction to meet me, looked right at me and said "Stalker!". I said "excuse me?" and she said "do you know what a stalker is?". Then she left the track. I guess she thought Iwas following her around the track?

Just B.S.

Stories like these are why I always tell my girls:  boys are weird, but some of them grow up to be very good men.

About a year ago I had a female runner call me a stalker. We were both running at the HS track. She was tthere before me, and I settled in about 100 meters behind her in a different lane. After a couple of laps she reversed direction to meet me, looked right at me and said "Stalker!". I said "excuse me?" and she said "do you know what a stalker is?". Then she left the track. I guess she thought Iwas following her around the track?

I have two sons, now 21 and 23......I'm sure they did some dumb ass stuff I have no idea about,,,,and they

are very good sons and wonderful young men.   Some of their friends who were girls did some pretty stupid

stuff too. Girls just tend not to drive around in cars and yell at people as much as boys for some reason!LOL

That is hilarious! Did she think it was her own personal track?

RSX

My very first race was a 5 mile one when I was 19 in my hometown. I ran the course once or twice with a friend who had got me hooked but I was still a little nervous when we showed up. The previous year the record had been set by a hs rival. His friend had challenged me to 2 fights when we were younger which I won, and somehow that affected how we got along for years. Anyway near the start of the race we met another friend who finished last the previous year. We hung out and he told us to line up front with him which we did. The gun goes off, this guy trips, and the only other runner affected is my hs rival who then tripped also. My other friend and I laughed, so were no longer nervous but had good races. The hs rival didn't win but finished in the top 5, and ranked on my friend (who finished last) in the article.

Little Blue

Confused  How do two people run on a track without one following the other?  And a female stalking a female?  Paranoid much?

yeoldefatguy

I was riding my bike to work a couple of summers ago. It was about 6:30 in the morning and pretty light out. It was late May. I was approaching a major intersection and saw the light was red so I was coasting slowly along the side of the road in my own little world and thinking of the big ass hill on the other side of the intersection. That's when this old wreck of a station wagon passes by me and all I heard was the driver yelling "Out of my way fucker." He slowed down at the intersection, drove through the red light and headed into the McDonalds parking lot. I laughed my ass off all the way up that hill. I guess when you need a McMuffin, you really need a McMuffin.