Beginners and Beyond

Funny story for you.......share yours (Read 158 times)

Luke79

I have two sons, now 21 and 23......I'm sure they did some dumb ass stuff I have no idea about,,,,and they

are very good sons and wonderful young men.   Some of their friends who were girls did some pretty stupid

stuff too. Girls just tend not to drive around in cars and yell at people as much as boys for some reason!LOL

That is hilarious! Did she think it was her own personal track?

Beth, I bet you are the coolest mom.  You seem to be well grounded in reality, but still sweet.  Funny story too.

Just B.S.

Beth, I bet you are the coolest mom.  You seem to be well grounded in reality, but still sweet.  Funny story too.

Awwww Luke, that is the 2nd sweetest thing someone said to me today.

The 1st was just a few seconds ago when my own Luke texted

"nite Mom, luv u"

I am a cool Mom, my boys would tell you that. They would also tell you I was pretty strict with them growing

up, but with lots of love and lots of laughing.Smile I love them more than anything but not in a blind my kid is

perfect kind of way.

notimeforthat

I can't say that I have ever had any run ins when out running or cycling. We did have folks look at us funny when I would go out for open water swims in early May. The little kids were the best. "WOW! HOW DID YOU DO THAT?" but really nothing other than waves and the occasional middle finger when out on my bike, but that has only happened once.

Jnfr Jogs

I frequently run on a lovely paved hike & bike trail through a very lush park with lots of dense vegetation and tall trees, even a creek winding through it.  I sometimes see the same people week in & week out during my runs, so I was not at all surprised to see this particularly fit and practically Olympian-looking young man running on the trail towards me.  I had seen the very tall fellow often, and had wondered if he played Wide Receiver on his college football team, he was THAT fit.

What I was surprised by was his instant change as we neared one another - from intense running Olympian into backward-and-upward leaping terrified shrieker!  I looked down and realized he had almost run across a small black and brown snake slithering across the trail in his path. If you have ever seen a cat get suddenly startled and leap up and backwards at the same time, that is exactly how this young champion reacted, with a loud Aiiii! and a hand clutching his chest.  I stopped, our eyes met, I nodded & said "Snake, huh?"  He laughed & nodded, and we each went on our way. By then the snake had vanished back into the undergrowth, so he was free to resume his run.  I managed to get far enough out of earshot before I laughed until I could hardly breathe.  Wink

Zelanie

OK, not nearly as much fun as your stories, but on Saturday I ran through a park and passed a family that appeared to be out for a stroll.  I left the park, ran down the road, and into another park.  And I'm almost out of that park when I passed the same exact family apparently out for another stroll over there!  I guess they must have driven from one park to the other to continue their walk?  They started laughing when they saw me run by them for the second time.

Antipodean

My story is actually not at all funny in a haha way, but it's the only thing of note that's ever happened when I was running, apart from tripping and scraping my knees and hands that is.Undecided

Anyway, one drizzly late afternoon I was on the paved 2.5km loop around my local park and on the first loop I passed a kids soccer team practising, but on the path I couldn't help noticing a creepy looking man was just standing there looking at me. Hmm, there were other people walking past so I didn't feel unsafe. 15 minutes later I was on my second lap and suddenly I came to the same spot and was jolted out of my 'zone' when I realised the same 'creepy' man was standing in exactly the same position. At that point I realised something was wrong and I stopped and talked to him. Turns out he'd had a stroke. I went back to the swimming pool close by and called an ambulance. The first aiders from the pool came out and tended to him until the ambulance came. I never did find out what happened to him, but it seemed like a mild stroke as he could still stand (but not move forward) and could talk with just a little slur. Hope he's ok.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

There are some good stories. I like the woman who clearly doesn't know what a stalker is.

Once when I was running in Ottawa I was crossing the driveway of a gas station and woman pulled out of the station without looking and had to brake to avoid hitting me, then she yelled "don't worry, you're too cute to run over". I'm not going to lie, that was a first and I'm glad I'd shaved that morning or maybe she'd have just run me down.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, Jeez, I am often such an idiot when I run that I've had so many "adventures, lol, it's hard to choose just one. When I first married Gail and would come in from a run all bedraggled or wet or bleeding or whatever, Gail would be like "WTH?!""   Now, after 28 years married to me, she just looks up at me when I come in, gives me the once-over, and says  "Another adventure, dear?"  lol.

OK, story.   So, when I was still in the Air Force and just reassigned from Ohio to San Antonio, I was out running on trails in a local park.  I was feeling really good and just zipping right along.  Went around a bend in the trail and....WHAM!  Ran face-first smack in the butt-flank of a horse! It was a police horse, with an officer on it, and the horse was standing astride the trail right around the trail bend, so I was not able to see it..until I met it! And let me tell you, those darn police horses are REALLY BIG and REALLY BUILT and their butts are REALLY HARD!  I was knocked back about 2 feet and fell right on my keister.  The horse hardly noticed, just jumped up and forward a bit, while the rider cop got control pretty quickly, and then the horse just turned its head and gave me a LOOK, like "WTH, dude?"   The officer realized what had happened and dismounted to help me up and make sure I was okay - trying not to laugh the whole time - and then jokingly said, "You know, police horses are considered officers, so you just assaulted a police officer."  I looked at him like, "Are you kidding me?"  Then realized he was joking, and we just both burst out laughing.   What are you gonna do? No sense in crying about it or getting mad, it was just one of those things...and it was actually pretty funny.  He also warned me before I continued my run there would probably be more horse patrols around because they had gotten a call about some pervert in the park - it was not me, honest! Joking - exposing himself to lady runners and walkers, so bike and horse police were doing a trail search.   And then I was on my way again...with a part of my face that had smacked into the horse VERY red and blotched, which turned into a nice bruise that lasted for a few days.  After I got home, my wife saw my face asked what happened, but I don't think she heard the entire explanation cuz she was laughing so hard...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Once I was almost home from running and was just coming off the pathways and onto the sidewalks when these guys were leaning out the window swearing at me. They caught up the next intersection and were starting to do the same thing, that is until they bashed into the car that had stopped for the light infront of them. I wanted to stop and laugh at that time, but I just kept going - you never know who has what in their car nowadays!

As for teenagers, around my work when I went running at lunch, I was taking the same route as a bus of these private school high school girls - I don't think I'm that good, but they were leaning out the window, howling, cat-calling, shouting out stuff like "OMG, look at those legs!", "C'mon, take it off!" and so forth. As they kept stopping for lights and such, the bus stayed with me for about 5 minutes on my route and I had my own 'cheering squad' I guess as I ran along during that summer lunch.

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

Rungry!

Well, Jeez, I am often such an idiot when I run that I've had so many "adventures, lol, it's hard to choose just one. When I first married Gail and would come in from a run all bedraggled or wet or bleeding or whatever, Gail would be like "WTH?!""   Now, after 28 years married to me, she just looks up at me when I come in, gives me the once-over, and says  "Another adventure, dear?"  lol.

OK, story.   So, when I was still in the Air Force and just reassigned from Ohio to San Antonio, I was out running on trails in a local park.  I was feeling really good and just zipping right along.  Went around a bend in the trail and....WHAM!  Ran face-first smack in the butt-flank of a horse! It was a police horse, with an officer on it, and the horse was standing astride the trail right around the trail bend, so I was not able to see it..until I met it! And let me tell you, those darn police horses are REALLY BIG and REALLY BUILT and their butts are REALLY HARD!  I was knocked back about 2 feet and fell right on my keister.  The horse hardly noticed, just jumped up and forward a bit, while the rider cop got control pretty quickly, and then the horse just turned its head and gave me a LOOK, like "WTH, dude?"   The officer realized what had happened and dismounted to help me up and make sure I was okay - trying not to laugh the whole time - and then jokingly said, "You know, police horses are considered officers, so you just assaulted a police officer."  I looked at him like, "Are you kidding me?"  Then realized he was joking, and we just both burst out laughing.   What are you gonna do? No sense in crying about it or getting mad, it was just one of those things...and it was actually pretty funny.  He also warned me before I continued my run there would probably be more horse patrols around because they had gotten a call about some pervert in the park - it was not me, honest! Joking - exposing himself to lady runners and walkers, so bike and horse police were doing a trail search.   And then I was on my way again...with a part of my face that had smacked into the horse VERY red and blotched, which turned into a nice bruise that lasted for a few days.  After I got home, my wife saw my face asked what happened, but I don't think she heard the entire explanation cuz she was laughing so hard...

Gives a whole new meaning to "having a run-in with a horses ass". Verry funny, Scotty!

Jen

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I played my college soccer in Chicago, and sometimes before practice the team would go out for a run through Washington Park.  The park is in an area called Hyde Park, and it's not the most affluent area, aside from the university.  So we're out for our team run at about 9am when we come up on a homeless gentlemen, which really is nothing out of the ordinary in that area.

The funny part is that he has his pants down at his ankles with his bottom hoisted up onto the public drink fountain, washing his behind.  Now clearly the poor man's misfortune is really nothing to laugh about, but for a group of 20yr old guys, it was pretty darn hilarious.  It also marked the point at which drinking from a fountain in a park was no longer an option for me.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Chairman

I played my college soccer in Chicago, and sometimes before practice the team would go out for a run through Washington Park.  The park is in an area called Hyde Park, and it's not the most affluent area, aside from the university.  So we're out for our team run at about 9am when we come up on a homeless gentlemen, which really is nothing out of the ordinary in that area.

The funny part is that he has his pants down at his ankles with his bottom hoisted up onto the public drink fountain, washing his behind.  Now clearly the poor man's misfortune is really nothing to laugh about, but for a group of 20yr old guys, it was pretty darn hilarious.  It also marked the point at which drinking from a fountain in a park was no longer an option for me.

I never needed an experience like this to know the implications of drinking out a fountain in a park.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I never needed an experience like this to know the implications of drinking out a fountain in a park.

Small town naivety knows no bounds!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

flarunner

I wasn't running when this happened, I had just finished running.

It was a Saturday morning about 5:30. I'd just finished running and was outside with the kitties. After my run we like to go for a little walk over to the neighbor's driveway. I was standing on the sidewalk in the dark when I heard a noise down the street.

A girl was walking down the middle of the street crying. Actually, sobbing. Think Laura Petrie sobbing. Big, wracking, can't breathe sobbing, for a good quarter of a mile down this neighborhood street. And while she was sobbing she was also talking out loud: "And, I-I-I thought you would st-st-stay with me..." And: "Y-Y-You said y-y-you w-w-would love me..." Stuff like that over and over.

As I watched her get closer, I realized she had on what had to be pajamas; little grey tank top with lace, some shorty-shorts in some kind of print and big fuzzy (animal?) slippers. But what brought the whole outfit together was the black and white wide horizontal striped knee socks.

Then she pulled even with me and stopped walking. Does she see me? Is she going to look over here and say: "What are you looking at?" and pull a gun? (And I would just have to correct her poor grammar.) But no, what she did was shuffle around in little circles. Still sobbing, waving her arms and obviously having a 'conversation' with whoever did her wrong.

And I'm still standing there on the sidewalk not 15 feet away.

What to do? Do I wave? Offer her my water bottle? Give her a Kleenex? Tell her he's a fool? Compliment her on her fashion sense?

I'm transfixed. This was a slow motion train wreck and I had a front row seat. I don't want to move because I don't want to ruin the moment, and well, it is Florida and you just never know.

Well, the shuffling and sobbing and talking go on for a couple more minutes, which is an incredibly long time when you're trying to be an invisible statue, and then she turned and headed back down the street sobbing the whole way.