Beginners and Beyond

In need of a FM plan (Read 73 times)

Ms Chenandler Bong

I'm running my 7th FM in April (Carmel Full).  I spent all of 2013 training for NC24 Ultra in September but have taken most of the last month off of running for a much needed mental and physical break (finally healed my Achilles.

Anyways, I'm in search of a plan.  I seem to do best with 45-60 mile weeks.

Docket keeps preaching about Pfitz so I'm considering one of those plans.  But would like to get ideas of other ones too.  Anyone?

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I like the Pfitz 18/55

onemile

I had good results with the Hansons Advanced plan and I'd highly recommend it.  And l will likely be at Carmel running the half 

I had good results with the Hansons Advanced plan and I'd highly recommend it.  And l will likely be at Carmel running the half 

You should put Hansons on your list if you are looking at options. I am an advocate as well and I followed a slightly modified Hanson plan for my PR.

If this is your 7th you should have an idea of what works for you and what doesn't. Lots of good stuff out there to compare and contrast. Pfitzinger, Daniels, Hudson.....

LRB

Lots of good stuff out there to compare and contrast. Pfitzinger, Daniels, Hudson.....

I was doing Daniels this year until my staunch reluctance to stretch (or refusal to make time for it) finally caught up with me and put me on the bench, but I will be back at it this fall.

Everyone has their thing but what I like about Daniels is it is completely adaptable to individual needs.  The quality workouts are based on a percentage of the amount of miles you run, which is determined by you.

And, because of his focus on the why, you are able to adjust on fly even within a run due to time constraints or other unforeseen issues like a snow covered track or forgetting to program the intended workout on your watch.  Not that that has ever happened to me. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In the past I used a plan best described as "Train like you'll be racing a 5K". Lots of high quality speed on a base of 55-70 mpw and LR of 16, not that I would recommend anyone else follow a plan like that.   Now my training looks more like a modified Higdon Intermediate 2.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

In the past I used a plan best described as "Train like you'll be racing a 5K". Lots of high quality speed on a base of 55-70 mpw...

How many weeks or months at that mileage?

StepbyStep-SH

Pfitz 18/55 (plus a 6th day of recovery - so I actually peaked around 60 mpw or a little more) yielded my current PR. I may use the last 10 weeks of it again for a spring marathon after Icebreaker next month.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Love the Half

I'm a Daniels advocate for several reasons.  First, it's based on the more modern notion of working on speed before stamina while Pfitz is based on the older model of developing stamina before speed.  Second, some of his workouts are absolutely brutal.  If you can survive them, you'll be able to hang in there at Mile 21 when it feels like someone is shoving hot pokers into your calves and a couple of gremlins are beating on your quads with baseball bats.  Finally, as noted, his plans are extremely adaptable.  He mentions tempo runs not exceeding 8 miles or 10% of weekly mileage whichever is less and VO2max intervals not exceeding 6 miles or 8% of weekly mileage whichever is less and Repetitions not exceeding 5 miles or 5% of weekly mileage whichever is less.  Thus, while the workout may call for 8 x 1,000, you can adjust to fit 8% of your weekly mileage.  He also tells you to limit VO2max intervals to 3-5 minutes and Repetitions to about 2 1/2 minutes and tempo runs to 40 minutes along with an adjustment chart if you make the tempo run last longer than 40 minutes.

Other plans don't do a good job of telling you how to adjust based on how much you are running.  I think that is frequently the reason people find those plans so difficult.  They try to do workouts (mile repeats anyone?) that are great if you are running tempo runs at a sub 5:00 pace but not so good if you are a recreational runner.

The critique of Daniels is that his workouts are damned tough.  Well yes, and they're unattainable if you're dumb enough to just attempt the workouts without reading the rest of the book and understanding how to modify them to fit your level of fitness.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

How many weeks or months at that mileage?

That was year round. I was running 2500-3700 miles annually for 4-5 years.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

The critique of Daniels is that his workouts are damned tough.  Well yes, and they're unattainable if you're dumb enough to just attempt the workouts without reading the rest of the book and understanding how to modify them to fit your level of fitness.

I never did attempt his 2 miles easy, 15 miles at MP, 2 miles easy workout for that reason.  I settled on 2, 11, 2 and didn't think twice about it!

Docket_Rocket

I would recommend Pfitz 18/55 for you, Mary. I think Daniels, although great, might be a little too much for you for you at this time but might be great for a Fall marathon once you play with Pfitz.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Galloway - Marathon to Finish

Make sure to add plenty of Magic Miles in the program.  If it works for Disney, its gotta be good!!!!

BTW: Happy Holidays to you and your family

Love the Half

Galloway - Marathon to Finish

Make sure to add plenty of Magic Miles in the program.  If it works for Disney, its gotta be good!!!!

BTW: Happy Holidays to you and your family

You would have to bring that up.

Do the Galloway

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

delicate flower

I seem to do best with 45-60 mile weeks.

In looking at your log, I'd personally opt for the "Just do that ^ consistently" plan.

<3