Beginners and Beyond

Saturday Penguins Take 45 (Read 27 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

Getting ready to head over to the park for a 5K. It's nice to have the starting line 3/4 mile form my door. Smile Get a warmup just getting there. Still not sure how I'll run it but feeling better than yesterday I think.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Good luck PAD, Jerry, and Robert...

As for me, 10 miles this morning on some hills. Feeling good!  I just saw on my running log/summary thing that I went over 1500 miles for the year. Smile

Hi everyone.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Go get em PADRunner.

Jack - Congrats on 1500.

AFM - I'm going to try to get the house cleaned up a bit, and some lawn work done.  Then, I want to get a run in today.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Penguins unite!

My latest running update.

Last spring  my heart was in a constant  A-fib rhythm  making it difficult to run. Then I had an ablation done and this was corrected and my heart recovered so last August I tried a little running. About 4 weeks into this my heart went A-fib after a run. So I gave up running and started a new exercise routine of lighter stuff like walking and biking. No problems since then.

After really listening to my body and how it reacts to exercise I think I know how to run a little! That would be starting off slow and only running till my heart rate reaches 140 to 145 max. only running once a week  helps my heart recover. I would walk, bike or do other cardio the rest of the week.

From the Internet.

Good luck racers! PAD, Jerry, Robert, anyone else today?

Nice run Jack! Awood, hope you get your run in.

Maybe gym for me later - today is my "bonus day", during the week I have one day dedicated to increasing weight on deadlifts and the same for squats, and then if I can get to the gym on the weekend it's whatever I feel like doing. Legs are feeling good so I'll do a warmup run if I go. Have the beginning of a cold and I don't want to make it worse, but on the other hand I have to take Monday off no matter what (holiday - no preschool and DH is leaving for a conference tomorrow) so I can always recover then. And Saturdays the gym is a ghost town, so it's the ideal time to go if I don't want to worry about getting other people sick.

Zelanie

Fleet feet to all of our racers!

Amazonian Princess

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

We're on the Big Island of Hawai'i now and after checking in at the hotel my first stop was Big Island Running Company - they use two slogans, "Run Aloha" and "Run Big" which I can relate to ever so much Cool

They invited me on their group run this morning with the C25K'ers and I'm getting ready now. Excited and nervous since I tried a group program last year and  one of the coaches offered to sell me diet pills Angry Luckily the Pens here have restored my faith that not all runners are puka heads!

Have a great day!

I can. I will. I am. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

2:19:37. 5/9 AG, 395/503 gender.  DW was 7/19 AG,  439/794 gender.  She could do a lot better without me anchoring her down.  I think our 15 miler last week really helped.  Details to come.  Now we drink.

PADRunner

Survived another one, just under 34:00. I always say the only way I'll place is if no one else shows up, well they didn't today and I got 2nd of 2 in age group. Smile I wish I was faster!

Good luck Jerry and Robert!

Zelanie

PAD, you ARE faster already! I did some log- stalking, and you are 5 minutes faster at the 5K than you were in Nov. of 2012. That's not small potatoes. Enjoy your AG win! You were out there working when everyone else was sleeping in.

Congratulations  Jerry! I am sure DW loves running with you. Smile

SheCan

Good luck Robert, Scotty and anybody else who might be racing this weekend

Jack-- great run, and wooohooo @ benchmark YTD mileage!

Corepower-- welcome and nice to meet you.  It takes courage to start a fitness plan after what you've been through!

Lauren-- good luck @ the gym today!

Bacon-- it sounds like you're having such a good time, and are taking advantage of the opportunities.  Hope you have a great time with the C25kers in the Hawaiian sun!

PAD-- good job!  Its always fun to win a AG regardless.  Congratulations!

Jerry-- Congratulations to you and your wife!  Really good times for both of you.  Honestly Jerry, if my DH would run with me, I wouldn't care how slow he went, I'd just be thrilled.  I love him to death, would enjoy his company, and want him to get healthy.

Rest day for me.  Going to see Thor in 3D in a bit.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

obiebyke

PAD and Jerry, nice runs! Anyone know what's up with Robert?

Jack, congrats on 1500.

Corepower, welcome.

Might be a URD for me today. We'll see if I can fit in a windy 3 between one thing and another. Tonight I'm going to my school's production of "Hair" with a couple of friends. Should be fun! Happy weekend, all.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins!

5K done. I could sugar coat it by saying I came in 9th overall, 2nd AG, a PR, at 22:34. The fact is I am kind of disappointed. I felt my training and a previous race in September would give me a 21:59. I went thru about 14 weeks of training, I was hitting my interval paces, mileage was good - and I don't feel that I spent it all in my training even though it was pretty comprehensive. Basically I trained my arse off and shaved only 12 seconds from last year.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Gustav, I wonder if at a certain point, both in terms of years running as well as faster paces, if the improvements are just that much slower to come by. I know that I am already not seeing improvements at nearly the same scale as I was once upon a time. But maybe they are that much sweeter when they come?

I also know that I would love to have your PR for my PR someday, speedy! But I am sorry that your race was a disappointment.