Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Prefer Saturdays (Read 27 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  I've got my weight watchers meeting, then either yardwork or shopping, then going to see a movie with DH later!  I should get a walk or a bike ride in too.  Hope you are all out enjoying your day!

One Half So Far

Aha, there it is.  Did 6 last night.  Prolly too fast, but....

Fun day planned....board games with friends, visiting folks in the country, yard work...

Have a good day, amigos

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

Zelanie

Have a fun day, Jeff!  What board games do you like?  I think my DH has all of them.  Lately our favorite is Dominion, but it's not really a board game.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens,

Rest day for me but only from running. We are at a swim meet with younger DD and tonight some friends are having a Quatro de Mayo party. Have a good day!

hog4life

Zel, thread started from west coast, haha, everyone must be sleeping in. I'm very sorry your knee is bugging you, hope it's not too serious and you get back out there soon.

I did an 8k today which is my 4th year running this race, it was actually my very first race back in 2010. It was raining and 42 degrees, and I'll have to say, it was quite miserable out there! I was so cold before the start that I didn't do a warm up, and decided just to run easy. The middle of the packer won a new Garmin, so I just didn't feel like racing. I have this camo rain jacket I use for hunting, and I ended up wearing it because I was just too cold to take it off, even though I had two shirts on. Anyways, I'll do a RR later, but I finished in 40:57 which was good for second in AG. Last year's time was 39:36 which was 6th in AG, so you can tell that all the old guys stayed home.

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, about to head out and grocery shop, try and find some shoes for EK and then get a run in with our friends before we all go out to Buffalo Wild Wings for Bobby's (The one in the race report pictures that runs with us) B'day. Wings and beer, I'm excited!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

SRD and a LR tomorrow.  Hoping all my ankle stretching helps the peroneal tendon.    4 weeks to next HM.  Have a great Saturday.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  I have to button up a few things on my shower project from last weekend, but decided to get some miles in before I got started.  I wanted to use the shower before I had to start waiting for things to dry.  I got in 7 miles at a comfortable 9:13 pace.  Last night I didn't get my run in until 10 PM.  So, I just made it speed work and did 800 intervals for 4 miles...lol  That was a first for me, but it felt good.  So good that I had to ease up a couple of times because I was hitting a 6:40 pace.  That's not exactly what Jack Daniels has prescribed for that workout.  Oh well.  I got some miles in every night for the last 4 nights, and with my schedule being what it's been I'm happy with that.

I even found time to get some new summer running gear between meetings in Detroit.  P3 says I like good :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Zel-- what movie you gonna go see?

Jeff-- have fun with your busy day!

Mitch-- congratulations on the 2nd AG!   Good for you.  I would absolutely freeze at 42* in the rain...brrrrrrr!

Awood-- awesome job getting that workout in yesterday.  I don't think I've ever made myself do a workout that late in the day...ever!  I guess I need to learn from y'all and not give up on a run just because I don't get it in earlier.

Scotty-- so happy you got such good news from your doctor!

I ran 8 & 1/2 today.  Was a nice warm spring day here. Wish I could have shared some of the warm weather with Mitch for his race!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

geez awood, you are fast.  Our professional installer took 4 weeks on our  50sf bathroom a couple of years ago.  It was a totally gutted incuding the floor.

GinnyinPA

Mitch - congratulations on the AG award, even though you weren't as fast as last year.  Given the conditions and the lack of warm up, you did well.

Zelanie - what movie?  Enjoy the time outdoors, however you spend it.

Jeff - enjoy your game night.  My husband's family used to do that regularly.  It can be fun.

Jack - have a margarita or Dos Equis for me.    After spending the day at the meet, you'll have earned it.

Jimmy - have a good run and birthday bash.

Jerry - is the ankle getting any better?

Awood - hope you finish the shower today.  Good job getting in the runs, despite your busy life at the moment.

AFM:  the morning yard sale was a bust, for the most part.  We sold the good stuff (such as it was) yesterday, so few people even bothered to stop, given that there were so many other houses having yard sales.  We packed up what was left at 1pm.  I hated wasting such a beautiful day.  Now we get to take all our leftover books to the library book sale as a donation.  I'll do some sort of walk or run this afternoon.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry been a little scarce around here....had a rough last few days. My allergies turned into a sinus infection and I have just felt craptacular all week and couldn't take off work because I am in my resignation period and forfeited any remaining sick days to be paid out for them. Oh well.....feeling MUCH better now....antibiotics work wonders!!!!

I am running late to go meet my parents in Manhattan, but real quick.... when I was at the doctors to get my antibiotics, the horrible doctor who had told me that I should never run because it is terrible for the body, that if I kept running I deserved injuries like ITBS, and slammed the door at me when I went to him with ITBS in January (I switched to a different doctor but in the same practice) got told OFF by a nurse while I was in there. It was AMAZING. I guess he is really an A1 Asshole Extraordinaire. This nurse REALLY let him have it.... there was about 8-10 "F bombs" dropped on him. Fantastic. I strongly dislike that guy, and think he deserved it.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: that should not be a problem, but just to be on the safe side I will have a few of each! Wink

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

A friend of mine makes "F Bombs".  Check them out.  Just tell her that I sent you.  Then, you can throw actual "F Bombs" at people.

https://www.facebook.com/FunBombs?fref=ts

Sorry been a little scarce around here....had a rough last few days. My allergies turned into a sinus infection and I have just felt craptacular all week and couldn't take off work because I am in my resignation period and forfeited any remaining sick days to be paid out for them. Oh well.....feeling MUCH better now....antibiotics work wonders!!!!

I am running late to go meet my parents in Manhattan, but real quick.... when I was at the doctors to get my antibiotics, the horrible doctor who had told me that I should never run because it is terrible for the body, that if I kept running I deserved injuries like ITBS, and slammed the door at me when I went to him with ITBS in January (I switched to a different doctor but in the same practice) got told OFF by a nurse while I was in there. It was AMAZING. I guess he is really an A1 Asshole Extraordinaire. This nurse REALLY let him have it.... there was about 8-10 "F bombs" dropped on him. Fantastic. I strongly dislike that guy, and think he deserved it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013