Beginners and Beyond

Thymoleptic Thursday Penguins (Read 28 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It's Thursday already on the East Coast, so I'm starting the thread for our "early bird" Penguins out there!

Thymoleptic:  psychologically energizing.   Have you gotten psychologically energized today already with your run?  Or will you do so later? Or is something else going to psychologically energize you?

I plan on running after work. Our cool front has moved in and I had a great run/walk last night at Fort Sam Houston.   Only 63 degrees at 4:30 PM when I went out, but that darn wind must've been blowing at least 20 mph making it feel much cooler.  Felt great when it was at my back, kinda tough when I was running right into it.  Even so, I managed to do 5K distance in 34 minutes - speedy for me, lol.    This morning our temps are in the 40s - South Texans everywhere are breaking out their parkas! Joking - and after work my temp will be about the same as it was yesterday, sweet.

For FreeSoul:  You asked how I managed to run off the San Antonio Riverwalk and plunge into the river?  Well, you do that by not paying attention, e.g.,  by looking at a young lady on a balcony across the river...and then by continuing to run straight ahead where the Riverwalk pathway curves...and suddenly you find yourself running on air for a few seconds like Wile E. Coyote, before plunging straight down into the water.   That's how. Blush

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good night and/or good morning, Pens.

Scotty: Finally some cool temps! I am getting a box of stuff mailed to me from UTSA!! Thanks for the hookup. Smile

As for me, I just ran an easy 11 miles. Today/tomorrow is a SRD.

Hi to all.

hog4life

Hi ya Scotty and Jack!

It's raining here, so it will be a wet 5-7 miles before nap time.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Wow Scotty, you're up early! Enjoy those frigid temps!

I don't believe in all that psychological stuff - it's all in your head!

Jack - nice 11

Hog - enjoy your run

As for me - tonight I will just run a few to stay loose for my race on Saturday. Hopefully it will be a good race.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Dang, it's 51 degrees right now and the wind is blowing about 15 mph making it feel like it's in the upper 40s.  For we South Texans, that is COLD. Yes, we are cold-weather wimps.  I changed out my singlet in my gym bag for one of my warmer short-sleeved running shirts for my run/walk after work today.  Will probably do a route around the university campus today, or maybe the Riverwalk.  With this chillier weather, the Riverwalk should not be as busy today and will make for a nice area to run.

I also went a little nutso last night before I went to bed.  Some of my running socks are wearing out, so I bought a few more pairs -  9 pairs! Joking - from my favorite places -  Defeet socks, Gizmo Socks, and tonsofsocks.com.  I like 'design' socks", so that's what I got...stuff like these...

Sock Guy Checkers Socks (Multi Colored)    CoolMax� Howler <br>Performance Socks         Sock Guy One Less Car Socks

and others along that line.   Yeah, I'm getting very 'colorful' in my old running age, lol.

Congrats on the 11 miles in the dark, Jack!  See any interesting night life while you were out there?

Hope your wet miles went well, Mitch!

Gustav, no doubt in my mind you will have a good race!

Philliefan33

Good morning folks.

Scotty -- Cool socks.  Maybe I'll check out the sock guy -- I'm due for some new socks.

Mitch -- Run, shower, sleep -- enjoy!

Jack -- an "I just ran an easy 11 miles "?  did you ever think you would say those words??

Gus -- Where is your race?

AFM -- I cut my run a little short yesterday because I decided I'd better pick up leaves from the yard before today's rain.  DH worked late yesterday, but by the time he got home I had the leaves raked, bagged, and dumped at the leaf collection place.

Today is just a couple of miles at "jog" pace.  This taper stuff makes me feel lazy.

Bin Running

Morning guys!

Wanted to do a MLR but off the arm when it rang at 5:30am. RD it is then. Will attempt LR tmr. Must be strong to wake up. Ha. So glad it's taper  week next.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

Early risers this morning. Dr. Appt at 8 then some intervals before work hopefully.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning, Penguins!

Expo for me today, walking miles only.

Running for TJ because he can't.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is November 7th!   On this day in history:

1637 - Anne Hutchinson, the first female religious leader in the American colonies, was banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony for heresy.

1811 - The Shawnee Indians of chief Tecumseh were defeated by William Henry Harrison at the Battle of Wabash (or (Tippecanoe).

1874 - The Republican party of the U.S. was first symbolized as an elephant in a cartoon by Thomas Nast in Harper's Weekly.

1893 - The state of Colorado granted its women the right to vote.

1917 - Russia's Bolshevik Revolution took place. The provisional government of Alexander Kerensky was overthrown by forces led by Vladimir Ilyich Lenin.

1929 - The Museum of Modern Art in New York City opened to the public.

1965 - The "Pillsbury Dough Boy" debuted in television commercials.  (He recently died....of a yeast infection! Wink)

1973 - New Jersey became the first U.S. state to permit girls to play on Little League baseball teams.

1999 - Tiger Woods became the first golfer since Ben Hogan in 1953 to win four straight tournaments. (After that, he was a 'maid' man Wink)

2000 - Hillary Rodham Clinton made history as the first president's wife to win public office. The state of New York elected her to the U.S. Senate

2004 - War in Iraq: The interim government of Iraq calls for a 60-day "state of emergency" as U.S. forces storm the insurgent stronghold of Fallujah.

2012 - Voters in Maine, Maryland and Washington approve measures for same-sex marriage

Today's Holidays

Chocolate With Almonds Day

National Gin Day

Walk To Work Day

Medical Science and Awareness Appreciation Day

almond cartoons, almond cartoon, funny, almond picture, almond pictures, almond image, almond images, almond illustration, almond illustrations

KEYWORD1  2004-10-12  peanut  peanuts  peanut butter  planters  planter's  planter's peanu

gin cartoons, gin cartoon, funny, gin picture, gin pictures, gin image, gin images, gin illustration, gin illustrations

power walking cartoons, power walking cartoon, funny, power walking picture, power walking pictures, power walking image, power walking images, power walking illustration, power walking illustrations

Jogging Cartoon 0865

medical science cartoons, medical science cartoon, funny, medical science picture, medical science pictures, medical science image, medical science images, medical science illustration, medical science illustrations

medical science cartoons, medical science cartoon, funny, medical science picture, medical science pictures, medical science image, medical science images, medical science illustration, medical science illustrations

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! So the run yesterday wasn't as long as thought. It was only a 2 mile out and 2 mile back, so managed to get 4 in. Was a very nice run though and some pretty decent hill work involved Smile. I learned 2 things during that run though, hills after leg work at the gym = a really sore ass  gluteus maximus, also don't judge a person by their size. One of the guys that runs is probably 40 to 50 lbs overweight and he smoked me in a 50yd sprint, I feel a rematch soon!

Also during the run I started having some ITB pain around the 2.5 mark so I just picked my pace up enough to ease the pain and when I couldn't hold that pace any longer I slowed down and it felt well enough to finish the run.

Plan to get some miles in this evening not really sure how many though, my glutes are still pretty sore.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Zelanie

Morning!  My conference is off to a good start! Waiting for the rest of my group so we can head over there again.

Good luck, Jerry!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

First run post marathon last night.  30 minutes nice and easy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  SRD.

Working from home but super busy, bah!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page