Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Frivolry FRIDAILY (Read 21 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

frivolry (noun) : a mindlessly enjoyable waste of time or effort; a raucous good time.

Good Morning and Happy Weekend !!!

Friday Fish Fry for us (when DW finishes her run).   There's just too many Irish pubs in this town.

Zelanie

Morning, Jerry!  Sorry about the knee.  Hope the MRI shows that it's a less serious tear.

Jo- Welcome! Smile

Mitch and Jerry- Hoping for a good recovery for your nephews.

Jack- Those ear drops are the worst!  Hope you can avoid them.

Margo- A few of the kids from track club were in my class as 1st graders when I was either overweight or losing the weight.  They did mention it to me last year, but but this year, since a year is so long in the life of a kid, they're pretty much over it.  Last year, a 4th grader said to me, "Teacher, you used to be like this (puffed cheeks out).  Now you're like this (he sucked his cheeks in and kind of made the face from "The Scream")."  Um, thanks, kid?  

As for me, 5-7 later after work and the robotics tournament.  If you want to watch the tournament, you can watch the live stream from two perspectives:

Red Alliance or Blue Alliance (the teams randomly move between colors until the playoffs tomorrow afternoon.  DD's team is 997.

Here are the basic rules:

The first 30 seconds of the match, the robots have to be in automated mode, and any points they score are worth extra.  After that, the team's drivers get to drive the robot.  The teams score 10 points for a shot into the high goal, and 1 point for dumping the ball into the low corner goal.  For every shot they make, there are a ton of bonus points available for assists.  So if all three robots touch the ball, and the ball doesn't touch the ground, and then they score into the high goal, that's an awesome sequence.

Enjoy!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good luck for DD's tournament, Z.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! 6 miles tonight.

Jerry, we love Irish Pubs.  Can you give me some suggestions for downtown ones????

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning! 6 miles tonight.

Jerry, we love Irish Pubs.  Can you give me some suggestions for downtown ones????

We go to the ones farther north like Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square.  I 'll check with DD's.  Do you know where you are staying?

hog4life

Jerry, I love a good fish fry, haven't been to one in quite a while.

Zel, kids are so funny!

Another RD for me. I'll have a short work day that starts here a bit later. Trying to get all my stuff ready for tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting Awood! There will be pics!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Zel: Yes, we have the ear drops and some pills to give her. The drops are a pain because you have to stick the thing all the way down in her ear and you have no clue how much is going in. Fortunately, our dog eats anything so the pills are no problem for her.  Have fun with the robots.

Jerry: I will also be having fish today. Smile

D: Going on another trip?

Hog: Good luck on the big hill. Looking forward to some pictures here or on FB.

I will get out and run a few miles later tonight. DW are racing a 5K tomorrow morning at the Santa Anita race track. We are supposed to meet up with redrum for an FE. There will be around 5,000 runners so I hope we can find him. After that DD has a swim meet in the afternoon and on Sunday. I also need to get in a long run this weekend, hopefully at least 12.  Busy, busy, busy...

Have a good weekend.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - is the fish fry at  pub?  I love English and Irish pubs.  Hope you have a raucously good time.

Z - enjoy your run this afternoon and the tournament this evening.  Sounds like fun.

D - have a good run.  When do you head to Chicago?

Mitch - have fun at the race tomorrow.  Good luck.

Jack - hope you and your wife do well at tomorrow's 5k.  Looks like another busy weekend for you.  At least it doesn't take you all that long to run 12 miles; I'm sure you'll find a spare hour somewhere;-)

AFM:  another rainy day here, but the weekend is supposed to be nice so hopefully I'll get a long run and hike in there somewhere.  I may do a few miles on the TM this afternoon.

Docket_Rocket

We go to the ones farther north like Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square.  I 'll check with DD's.  Do you know where you are staying?

Not yet.  But if we can find something closer to the Zoo we would since we love that area.  I'll keep you posted.

Jack, Ginny, we are traveling to several places to do some HMs and fulls.  Next is Nashville and Cali (Santa Cruz) but I get to Chicago in June (and hopefully October).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Crazy again today.  At least today I have expert help!!  Extra quartet practice tonight ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Good morning penguin friends!

Jerry-- that sounds like a frivolous, good fish fry Friday to me.

Zelanie-- good luck to your daughter!

Mitch-- So nice to hear you saying that you have a short work day.  Good luck to you tomorrow, and I hope you and Awood have a great time.

Jack-- have a great time tomorrow.  I know you & DW will knock it outta the park.  Enjoy the FE.  And best of luck to your DD, also.

Ginny-- Glad you're expecting good weather for the weekend.   Hope you're able get a lot of time on the trails.

Docket-- all that traveling with your races sounds so fun!

Today, I was supposed to run 10, and realized, I just wasn't up to it again.  I scaled back to 3.

Tomorrow I need to get up early, because i volunteered to help with an inaugural 10k trail race about an hour and 1/2 down the road from us.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did my run/walk after work, doing my hill route on the University campus.  Thunderstorms were threatening but never did develop in San Antonio, they moved on east.  As someone said in the penguin thread yesterday, I wish they had developed cuz the rain would've felt pretty good when I was doing my last mile!  The temp shot up to 84 degrees, the humidity and dewpoint were pretty close to 70...gaaack...and the clouds left for my last mile and it was very sunny...no shade on the campus roads!   I think I didn't drink enough water before I went out and got a tad dehyrdated.    I got scolded too, lol.  As I got back to the university gym, one of the university nurses - a runner too and who has run with me on occasion - was outside (the medical center at the university is right across from the gym) and saw me coming and he called out jokingly "Scotty, you better be careful, senior citizens are more susceptible to heat issues than younger folks."  I said "You mean old men can't take the heat?"    Well, I did okay, ran the hills strongly, felt pretty good, but that last half mile was when it got to me a bit, finally. It's only April, for petes  sake, usually we are in the 60s this time of year and it is very nice.  We've already turned on our A/C, which we don't usually do until late June.  If this keeps up - these "early summer temps" until actual summer gets here - I may have to start becoming a morning runner earlier than planned!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

This week has been hell so I'm starting the countdown!  We have not had a countdown in a while.

2 hours and 53 minutes for me.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Ugg, fried fish.  I'm not one of those that  has ever enjoyed it, I never have liked fish or seafood. And now it's even worse because my ex-wife, used to fry fish all the time....so just the smell of it now gives me the horrors, lol.   You can have my share, Jerry.     BTW, how did your appointment go?  In reading Z's post, I guess you have a tear in your knee?  That sucks.  Hope it is not serious.

Lol, about the "somewhat' compliment from the student, Zelanie.  You keep getting in such good shape, pretty soon you're gonna be the 'hot' teacher that all the boys have a crush on.     Good luck with your 5-7 after the tournament.  Teachers don't get to enter their robots?   Good luck to your DD.

Have fun with your miles, Damaris. It must be really flippin' hot now where you are!

Happy race and FE tomorrow, Mitch!

Hope the weather behaves for you, Ginny.  We are the opposite.  Today it is beautiful - only going to 70, low humidity, light breeze, sunshine - but rain is moving in the for the weekend.  I am doing a 5K tomorrow as part of Fiesta. We runners do one of the parade routes before the parade starts...so I sure hope it LITERALLY does not rain on my parade.

Busy busy busy weekend for you, Jack!  Good luck with it all, hope you get it all in!  I was planning to nap after my 5K tomorrow, but I guess Gail has other plans for me, lol. I am to go with her to her Yoga Class party-picnic for a couple of hours and after that to one of the local bowling alleys where her company is doing a bowl-a-thon as a fundraiser for Special Olympics.  I am going to try and convince her to drive so I can drink beer...

Extra quartet practice, HsM?  So there will be two quartets at your practice? 

Sorry about the scaled back 10, Cherie, hope you are not too disappointed.  Stuff happens...you'll get your mojo back.  Happy volunteering tomorrow!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt