Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguin Techies Can Do I.T.! (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

October 3 is National Techies Day!

photo Star_Trek__Penguin_Style_by_GalacticKitten_zps51749fbd.jpg

Oh wait...those are TREKKIES....not Techies.....here you go....

photo 1-13-2011-6-44-35-PM-a648_zps63e93377.png

photo animals-penguin-cold-freezing-pole-south_pole-dwh110907_low_zpsbb7bf5d1.jpg

Cyberic

Something I find funny about this forum is that there are two "daily" threads. The pens and the dailies. Some people write in both, but most either go to one, or the other (I'm one of these). It's just that I would be saying the same thing in both threads... Anyways, have a nice day everyone!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Non-running day for me today.   Nice cool front moved in and it is only 59 degrees this morning, sweet!  We will have this weather through the weekend - which will be nice for my 5K on Sunday - and then the temp will shoot back up to the 90s next week.  Apparently Texas Mother Nature can't make up her flippin' mind whether to keep us in summer of autumn.

Big storm in Dallas area last night, thousands of folks lost power.  Our local news weather guy was showing a satellite view of the storms up there and there were flashes going on-and-off - like those oldtime news phototgrapher flashbulbs is what it reminded me of - and the weather guy told us 'that is not lightning you are seeing there, those are transformers exploding...."  Dang!  Hope any of our Penguins up there are safe!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Something I find funny about this forum is that there are two "daily" threads. The pens and the dailies. Some people write in both, but most either go to one, or the other (I'm one of these). It's just that I would be saying the same thing in both threads... Anyways, have a nice day everyone!

Cuz the dailies are mostly the really speedy folks, with a few Penguins like me visiting. I can only wish I'd ever be as fast as y'all!    The Penguin thread is the 'Safe Zone' for non-speedy folks. 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

Scotty, do we even have any techies here?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 miles tonight.

Scotty, do we even have any techies here?

I bet we do...they just have secret identities....

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done this morning.

Yes I'm a techie.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scott, Eric, and Docket.  No techies in my house.  I'm lucky just to start a thread with the Scotty Penguin.

Just back from my  health club and DW just left for hers.  We had about 1.5" of rain last night, but looks like it is over with no flooding.

We may try a short run if it dries out a bit.  Then we go out for lunch.

Have a great 5K Scotty.

Zel, good luck on your FM Debut.

Zelanie

Eric, each thread has a slightly different "mood" depending on who posts in it, and sometimes the conversation for the day can go in completely different directions.  In the igloo we get to find out about barbershop quartet practices, months-long hiking trips, and what it would be like to have Friday off from work every single week. Smile  So although the bits about running might be similar, I do try not to post exactly the same thing most of the time.

Scotty- That must be what's wrong with my computer!

D- Have a good run later!

PAD- Enjoy your day!  If you're not in an office full of techies, make them bring you stuff in appreciation for what you do. 

Jerry- Thanks! Sounds like a nice day.  I assume the pump in the basement is working now?

AFM- Expo day today!  I am going to drive up after work today (since I'll be thinking about it anyway), then drive back tonight, because I have to work tomorrow AM and DD has a SAT class anyway.  Then we'll drive back up Saturday afternoon.

tracilynn

Morning pengs!

just ate breakfast and now deciding if I wanna run.   I know y'all are in the edge of your seat wondering if I will or not. :-)  It's still muggy here. Cool off expected overnight.

ZEL!!!  Woohooo

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Who is gonna stalk zel and post constant updates here for us??!?!?!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My dentist appt yesterday was a total pain in my mouth!  No cavities, no problems, but some deep staining that my hygeinist seemed to take personally.  So now I am deeply cleaned, and since I don't drink soda or red wine, have tea rarely, and drink one cup of coffee in the morning, I'm told that I need to get a water filter to remove the iron from my drinking water.  So I'll probably have clean teeth and anemia!!

Cyberic -- what Scotty said.  They are two groups with two separate functions.  Nothing to get fussed about.

Scotty -- have a good rest day!!  And at least you'll have nice weather for the race!!

Docket -- have a good Pilates and 6!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Jerryb -- Glad you're staying dry!!

Zelanie -- thanks for the barbershop shout-out!!  Have fun at the expo, and don't stand around too long!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey traci!!  Are ya running?  Huh?  Huh?  Huh?  Huh? 

Scotty, you need these guys!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  Rest day for me today (I think).  Yesterday's 5 wound up being 4.4 because there was a gang of teenage boys in the park that I do a loop of on my route.  I thought it better to avoid trouble.  One teenage boy is fine, but when they aggregate in groups they tend to be trouble.  Boys in this park previously have catcalled at me, etc and just generally made my runs unpleasant in the past. My knee/ankle were fine on the run, but I did take it intentionally a bit slow.

Good luck this weekend Zel!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)