Beginners and Beyond

Duvall Irwin Half Marathon (Read 50 times)

Not quite right

Run Duvall Irwin Half Marathon

Where to start the easy 1:33:38 bam 7:08 pace  6th over all 2 and master but got the master win as the other was in the top 3. Shaved almost 3 mins off my March half. Legs sore can truly say other than hanging out with my running buddy first 2 miles it was on.

Back story here is that this is the race that sparked the fire that got me here today. It lead me to meeting all you people ect ect . This is my race I ran it 2 years ago because my business is a sponsor. I never planned to continue to run I ran and I loved it and continued to run !!

Mile 1

7:41 little slower than I wanted but running with my running buddy or hell at this time he is my coach and one of the two who got me into running. I can tell he is not feeling it and he had hinted to that before the race. Oh yea we got right on the line Yea I started where I was suppose to the front I earned it !!!

Mile 2

7:43 still little slower than I wanted but I am with my buddy and would run the whole race with him if needed. I did have a bigger goal but would skip[ it to run with him. around mile 1.5 is first water stop his daughters Brownies are working the table so we slow for bit to high 5 hug ect. I am feeling great because it's still easy. We can see the field start to thin out as everyone is hitting their stride

Mile 3

7:25 I am still with my buddy till about 1/2 mile into mile 3. He tells me go and chase down the pack that was about a 1/4 mile in-front. I think he knew if he did not do that I would have just run with him. Oh and he is no slouch himself he still ran a 1:44 and won his age group

Mile 4

6:56 It's on at this stage there are about 13 to 14 runners in front of me I see they have spaced out some. I start just focusing on keep the pace hard but conformable. I am gaining on the runners in front of me and that is how I like to run.

Mile 5

7:01 Nice and steady still feeling good. I have taken no water so far and I am carrying my own. Which by now is pretty warm. I still moving up at this point I think I have passed the second place woman and I chasing the first place one.

Mile 6

7:01 Man look at that split !!! Honestly I can feel I might need to stop for the bathroom but I got a run going. I will be honest I though about if I got to maybe just stop for 2 seconds on the trail and use a tree. Would not have been the first time I used a tree on this trail

Mile 7

7:00 I think I have nailed down my Half marathon pace man splits look great but I am feeling it at this time I have passed the last runner I got a chance at I think I am in 5th at the time but really 6th as the winner was way out front and the next pack I had seen on the flip was out of my reach. So at this stage I thinking I want my AG win and one of guys I passed looked old like me. So I got to keep it going

Mile 8

6:57 I got my grove going at this time I am in 6th and can see the next two a good 1/4 mile out. So I just plan to keep my pace and claim my rewards!!

Mile 9

7:04 pace still good I can feel it but still feeling good. I am making it a point at this time to listen how soon the cheering is as I come trough the water stops trying to get a feel for how far in front of who ever is behind me. They are closer than I like as I can hear the cheer about 20 seconds after I hit it. So keep the pace

Mile 10

7:02 yea look at those splits great pacing. My last good track half pace work out was in March and this was the pace I was hitting the whole work out. Man those running guru's know their S

Mile 11

7:14 I am feeling it. I am at the you got to dig deep stage. Now I am in the part of the trail I run every week. So I am using that to feed my energy. I know there are couple guys close behind me.

Mile 12

7:01 I am on fumes but know I am close to hitting my goal and nailing one hell of a run. Last water stop I listen guys behind me close. I have to take a look at this time because if I got room might back off some as I know I can't move up and I am feeling it. They are close keep the hammer down and if anything dig they could be surging.

Mile 13

6:59 hammer down just a corner then the pain will not be as bad. You got this and I really do

Mile .1

Total time 1:33:38

Big shout out to MRT my mileage team I know the game is wrapping down but man we had great year last year. It really kicked off some great running !!! I plan to continue to post in the FB and forums. Another big shout out to RA beginners and beyond. I have never been big poster here but all the users were such a big part of my noob running. When I was so wet I would not even add to the discussion!!

Thanks all and run safe

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I am bad at adding minutes and seconds in my head but that looks like a nice negative split. Great pr and cool back story. I'm sure you are glad you stuck with it.

Hip Redux

Congrats on the master's win!  

Back story here is that this is the race that sparked the fire that got me here today. It lead me to meeting all you people ect ect . This is my race I ran it 2 years ago because my business is a sponsor. I never planned to continue to run I ran and I loved it and continued to run !!

Nice!!

Not quite right

I am glad I have Jack. The running and racing seems to have filed a void in my life I had for years. I will be honest as kid growing up in west Texas you never think of running as a sport and if one thing I can remember I always kind of liked it. Was a part of gym growing up I really enjoyed. Never clicked in my head.

Needless to say I should mention my lovely wife she pred too with a 2:15 on a day where she was struggling. That has been the other gift I know you can relate too Jack. We spend tons more time together and doing running events now. She is a runner now too

The old Pre quote goes To give anything less than your best , is to sacrifice the gift. I truly feel running has been a gift

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations!  Job well done!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

Congrats on a great race and on keeping that fire alive.  Those are some very nice looking splits.   Congrats, as well, to your wife and her PR.  Well done!

Life is good.

happylily

Wow, great finish time! That was a great race for you and for your wife, congratulations to both of you! And what a great story, thanks for sharing it. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Wow, that is a big PR especially considering your time!  Great race, and congrats on the master's win!  Did you get any good swag for that?  Smile

I am impressed that you were already thinking about the AG win seven miles into the race.  That is a lot of race left to be thinking about that.  Of course, that might explain why I never win anything.  Big grin

<3

Love the Half

Those are some excellent splits late in the race.  Nice.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I give you credit, when the gun sounds all my friends become competition and I am trying to beat their heads in.  lol

You ran a really strong race, congrats on that!  No gels or anything?  And you probably could lose the water bottle and run like the big timers.  When/what is your next event?