Beginners and Beyond

Where Ya'll At Penguin Sundailies? (Read 22 times)

Sloooow.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Docket_Rocket

Morning!

I was running for 3 hours before the sun came out and before anyone was awake.

18 with 16 @ MP + 20 seconds done.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Drinking coffee trying to wake up. I need to start getting ready for church. We are planning to do some yard decorating afterwards, and maybe a few miles with Bella this evening.

Good luck today  Zel Smile

D - nice run!

Sloooow.

Surprised there wasn't a Penguins thread already! Maybe my eyes are getting worse?

I was supposed to get up at 6am this morning to run, but other half had to go meet a crew at 5am and he didn't get back home until 7am, arghh. I got going at 7:30am, only 76F w/ 70 DP. I was still not the happiest as I run very hot. I'm ready for cooler weather. I got chased by about 7 different small dogs and saw some rabbits and lots of cows. It was a nice run, if it wasn't for all the rock roads that SUCK to run on. Due to that, I'm pretty happy with my 12:29 m/m overall pace for 6.2 miles total. I'm consistently 11-11:20 on the tarmac roads, but dropped to 13-14 on the crushed rock. I think I just need to stick with it to strengthen my cankles.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Docket: What is your GMP for Chicago? With the much cooler weather, I bet you will do very well.

Hog: Enjoy the miles tonight.

Coralie: Nice run. I forgot; did you sign up for a HM or 10k?

As for me, I just finished my first 20 mile run. I averaged 8:55 and it felt pretty good but my legs were tired the last mile. I had a lot of elevation change so I may change my route for my next big run. I also brought a small Camelback pack with me with some water. I didn't like carrying it so I hid it in a bush at mile 5 and picked it up on my way back. I brought two GUs and that seemed to be enough. Next time I might bring one more. I hope I am not too sore tomorrow.  Now I am off to day two of younger DD's swim meet   Smile  and tonight I am treating myself to a few Newcastle Werewolf Blood Red Ales. I think I earned them!  Wink

Enjoy the day.

Bin Running

4M easy today done.

Had a good brunch, followed by shopping and a double chocolate shake with whipped cream at the mall.

Yday, someone asked abt DD. EDD is 14 Oct. Smile

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

PADRunner

10 long this morning for me. Longest run to date.

Fuel for today, 1/2 clif bar 1.5 hrs before Goo & water at mile 6. I'm sure it was in my head but I got a quick rush right after the Goo. I felt a subtle improvement after 7 and splits 7-10 were 10-15 sec faster. HRM app showed 1300 cal. burned.

Sloooow.

Docket, nice run!!

Mitch, have a wonderful day. Hope the coffee is good and hot.

Jack, enjoy the ales; you definitely earned them! I'm signed up for a 10K on October 7th. The Half I signed up for isn't until February so I'm not starting a plan until November 1st. Tomorrow is my pre-op and surgery in 8 days. so I'm feeling a lot more confident about being able to finish the 10K despite the break.

Bin, great run. Have I missed something, you're expecting a new addition?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning. Missed check in yesterday....was celebrating Drink A Beer day at the Oktoberfest 10K. PW time but was running for fun with my dad. I will get a RR up later.

Today I did 5.25. I wanted to do 7 but there was traffic getting to the trail I was going to because there was a 10K running through my parents' neighborhood (didn't know about it or else I would have run it!) so I got a late start and needed to be home to get ready for my birthday brunch with my parents! Which I'm off to now (bday is Tues!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Damaris - very nice run so early in the morning.

Mitch -Do you do pumpkins and gourds or witches and goblins?  Some of our neighbors put as much effort into Halloween decorations as they do at Christmas.  Enjoy your run with Bella later.

Coralie - congratulations on the six.  You might want thicker insoles if you are doing a lot of gravel, to cushion against the rocks.  I like dirt roads because they are softer than asphalt, as long as I don't slide too much on loose rocks.

Jack - nice run.  I'd keep the hills, because they will make you stronger, but it can be nice to have flat and easy occasionally.

Bin - nice after run treat.

PADRunner - good job on the ten.  I love passing big milestones like that.  I don't usually notice an effect from Gel until about two miles later, though jelly beans give me an immediate sugar rush.

Kristin - happy almost birthday.  Sounds like you're having a very fun weekend.

AFM:  if we don't go for a hike this afternoon, I may go for a short run, to see how things are working.  No pain for two days.  It's not enough time, I know, but it's such a beautiful day!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!!

Been MIA for a bit, was out in CA for work this past week, and didn't get on the internet much.  Raced an 8k yesterday, PR'd, but not as fast as I was hoping for, the wind was killer.  Finished in 33:14.  Only my second 8k, my first one was last year when I first started running, so it was an 8min PR. Smile

Went out for a long run today, but just wasn't feeling it, so I cut it short at 10, legs still a lil tired from yesterday.

Hope everyone has been doing well, time to watch some football, GO BIG BLUE!! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Sloooow.

Ginny, my regular running shoes have pretty thick soles, they are Glycerin 10's or something. Running on dirt road was good, but the rocky road was pretty crappy. It was mainly tough on my ankles, it's awkward.

Hoping for a pain free run/hike for you!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.25 on Des Plaines River Trail.  Kind of wet, but still a nice run. Streak at 55.

tracilynn

Today was First run for me since last Monday. Only did 3.1 Miles at 10:50 pace. Rt Shin is still sore when I press on it. Kt taped it. See how it does. I have been doing shin exercises every day but let ITB exercises slip so ITB will probly act up as soon as shin behaves. Angry

I want to do a 15k oct 12 so my stupid body needs to cooperate.   Have a good Sunday everyone.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Quick check in- my official time was 53:03.  I feel like I ran it more like a short HM than like a 10K.  OTOH, I ran it strong, felt good the whole way, and had a strong kick.  RR later, I am going out for some lunch!