Beginners and Beyond

What $20 will get you these days... (Read 83 times)

LRB

A day pass to Planet Fitness, for the sole opportunity to do your 90 minute run on one of their treadmills.

Priced to keep out riff raff such as myself, the fact that their monthly fee is half that (with a $39 down payment) is besides the point. Nope, if you want to avoid the the -30 wind chills or the complete and utter nothingness of the place you usually run on the treadmill, you're gonna pay. Sucka.

Half Crazy K 2.0

A day pass to Planet Fitness, for the sole opportunity to do your 90 minute run on one of their treadmills.

Priced to keep out riff raff such as myself, the fact that their monthly fee is half that (with a $39 down payment) is besides the point. Nope, if you want to avoid the the -30 wind chills or the complete and utter nothingness of the place you usually run on the treadmill, you're gonna pay. Sucka.

You'd probably have to listen to a sales pitch, but could you try going to various gyms to tell them you want to check the place out before joining to see if you can get a day pass?

I have gotten lots of free gym passes at races. Never used one.

adkkev

Planet Fitness is the least expensive fitness center around my area & I joined in December ($15/month) because I had a feeling that this was going to be a bad winter for outside running.  Now I'm very glad that I joined ... it's too dangerous to run on the streets around my house & the sidewalk shoveling in inconsistent.  And as today was our 15th day of temperatures below zero (without the wind chill) ... inside treadmill running ain't so bad after all.

Anyhow, this PF is clean & well taken care of.  Equipment is decent.

LRB

You'd probably have to listen to a sales pitch, but could you try going to various gyms to tell them you want to check the place out before joining to see if you can get a day pass?

I did that at an LA Fitness once, worst idea I ever had. I think I ended up paying him $20 for the honor of letting me leave the joint. lol

It was $5 or $8 at Power House back in the day and that was fine. The last time I did a daily pass I think it was $10, things have obviously changed!

LRB

... inside treadmill running ain't so bad after all.

That is where I am at as well, which is nothing short of a miracle. lol

From the Internet.

That is where I am at as well, which is nothing short of a miracle. lol

Same here. The scenery isn't great, but it's kind of nice to only wear one layer of clothing and not have to dodge cars or worry about ice!

Still a student so I'm automatically a member at the university gym for free (well, I guess technically it's probably part of tuition and fees, but my department/boss pays that). Not looking forward to paying when I become a real adult later this year!

adkkev

The treadmills have personal tv screens altho the channel choice is limited.  But I can plug in my old ipod & listen to podcasts while running along.  I wish the treadmills had little fans on the them because it always seems to be fairly warm in there & I get really hot after a while.  Not that I'm running any great distances (usually 5-6 miles).

Zelanie

Too bad they didn't have a free trial you could get online.  I tried to do that for a shower after a race once, but the trial pass only let you in during staffed hours, which didn't include weekends.  So I paid $7 to shower at the Y.  It was a race that was about an hour from home, but in the same town where I had an event to attend that afternoon.

The scenery isn't great

Sometimes it's not too bad....

Dave

PF is clean & well taken care of.  Equipment is decent.

This. For $10/month, can't beat it, just need to bring your own towel & soap. I joined one near the office just to be able to use their showers & run outside at lunchtime. In addition to my more expensive Lifetime Fitness membership, which is closer to my house and has group fitness classes, pool, etc.

Dave

For $20, they better not have suggested that you were running too fast. (There are some PF reviews that say they actually do that so no one feels "intimidated".)

Scenery at my gym can be very nice or truly frightening, depending on who's there that day.

LRB

For $20, they better not have suggested that you were running too fast. (There are some PF reviews that say they actually do that so no one feels "intimidated".)

FFS man, really? This society has truly gone to pot.

I have heard that as well, but never experienced it. Obviously.

Dave

LRB

I have heard that as well, but never experienced it. Obviously.

You will though, and on that day we will celebrate. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

I've heard they have a dress code too--no midriffs showing for women. Don't wear the ultra short shorts, might be too intimidating.