Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Know If It Doesn't Challenge You, It Doesn't Change You! (Read 32 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

I have 2 on tap for after work, maybe the gym. Ive been really tired these past few days from the after work training classes.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey guys!  I have to hit the road again soon.  3 hour drive to start the day.  I'll get some running in today, but like I said....I've got a race this weekend.  I'll run what I want to run this week.

You guys are awesome.  I expected a small surge of likes last night, and I woke up this morning to find that we have a commanding lead again.  I'm sure the other couple will respond, but I'm pretty sure we're going to win this in the end.  176-158 this morning.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Good morning guys.

I challenged myself last night with 4.5 miles of hills.  It's a route where I rode my bike a few times last summer, and noted at the time that I certainly did not want to run it until I was ready for a nasty hill workout.  It's an out-and-back on a paved trail along a new parkway, with a mix of long gradual hills and shorter, steeper hills.  I had planned 5 miles, but wimped out a bit and turned around a lttle too soon.  It was tough, but I did have a nice feeling of accomplishment at the end.

Tonight will be 5.5 easy miles, trying to avoid any hills.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning weary waddlers!

Gustav, hope you have a great run!

Awood, that's great!  Hope you guys win it!

PF, nice job on the hills!

AFM, 5 easy recovery miles this morning, legs were feeling a lil heavy from yesterday's fast 12 miler.

Hope everyone has  a great day! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Bin Running

Gustav, maybe the body is trying to tell you to ease up.. At least that's what my ankle told me last Sun.. Smile

Awood, you got this... Hope you and pew win this.. What's the goal for that 5k?

Margo, Well done for the hill training..

Dave, Enjoy the easy 5..

Still resting my ankle.. Had to go to work early tmr to take care of some biz.. Will try 2-3M tmr after work to see if my ankle like it..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Gustav, enjoy the 2

Awood, more travel? I don't see hoe you do it. Check your PM's.

Phillie, nice job on the hills.

Bin, get that ankle well.

Dave, have a good 5.

Back to regular work for me. I hope to get in 6-7 tonight with 3-4 of them at tempo pace.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  My 9 last night turned into 6 with 8 X 100m because my asthma flared at Mile 6 so I quit.  Not a good day to combine the allergy shot and strides.  Still, 8 out of the 10 assigned strides was not that bad.

Bin Running, good luck with the ankle.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Forgot to say, 11 miles tonight if my breathing cooperates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I have 6.5 easy tonight, but I work both jobs first- teaching and then Weight Watchers.  But the extra hours keeps me in running shoes, I guess!  And my Kinvaras might be here by the time I get home!

Gustav- Glad you got through the trainings this week!

Awood- I'm also looking forward to your race this weekend!  I know you're going to set a challenging goal for me!

Margo- What a great feeling to go back and run those hills that were so challenging last summer!  There's a place on campus around here that I used to hate to walk up because of the hill and now it's part of one of my LR routes.

D2- I didn't know your legs got tired, hehe.

Bin- Good luck getting your run in tomorrow!

Mitch- Good luck with the tempo!

D- Hoping you have good breathing tonight!

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Morning pens!

Interview went well I think. Can't wait to have the final word. That's the hard part!

Awood! When is the competition over! I voted the other day! You guys are too cute! good luck!!

Have a great day guys!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  My tech is out with a sick kid this morning, so getting his work done along with mine is going to set me hopping.  Luckily for me his wife rearranged a meeting so that he could come in this afternoon and prep some samples.  Last night's quartet practice was a blast, but I got home a bit later than usual, so I'm sleepy today.  Tonight is a dress rehearsal for our performance on Saturday, so I have to skedaddle home, put on all my glitz and glitter (and heels!) and go sing and dance with the chorus.  I will probably be dragging tomorrow too!!

Gustav -- extra work can really take it out of you!!

awood -- woo-hoo for your lead!!

Phillie -- woo-hoo for your tough hill run!!

D2 -- have fun with your easy run!!

Bin -- hope your ankle gets all healed up!!

hog -- welcome back to regular work!  Though all your training sounded interesting!

Docket -- sorry your asthma and allergies flared!!

Zelanie -- good luck getting everything done, and hope the Kinvaras show!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Tori snuck in -- glad your interview went well!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Awood: Good luck in the race. What is it?

Bin: I hope your ankle improves, it has been fun watching your progress.

D2: Do you have any races coming up?

Zel: Have you had Kinvaras before?

Also, a question for everyone: Has anyone every tried Newton shoes? I have heard different things about them and was considering getting a pair on clearance at running warehouse.

Rest day for me, we are going car shopping tonight.

Have a good day.

From the Internet.

Tori - glad the interview went well, I agree - waiting is the hardest part!

Awood - awesome! Fingers crossed that you guys win - I voted the first day you posted it Smile

AFM - met up with a running club this morning at the indoor track at my university. I stopped my watch when I meant to hit the lap button at one point, so I did somewhere between 3 and 4 miles with 4x400 at 2:03 in the middle. Rest of the group did 10x400, I didn't want to push it too much so I took a break after 3, did one more, and finished up with some easy laps. Leg still feels great, though I'm glad I stopped when I did - I'd be kicking myself if I hurt my leg one day after graduating from PT :P It was a blast to have other humans to run with, meeting with one of the coaches tomorrow to discuss the club's mission and my injury/background/goals, and to join officially.