Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Know If It Doesn't Challenge You, It Doesn't Change You! (Read 32 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I broke my software.  It's not exactly unexpected, this software is a little flaky, and I asked it to do something odd when I really knew better.  So I have to wait for an hour to see if my data run is completely munched or if it's salvageable.  No huge loss if it's dead, it was just standards.  But I was hoping to see how they came out.

Guess it's time for seminar prep!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Penguins !!! Took the day off (actually took half a day off since I only work hLf days) and hit the gym at 6:30.  Weight machines and TM.  45 min of flat and hill intervals.  Increased my speed to 8:00/10:00.  Think I can step it up a bit next time.  May or may not run with DW later, depending if her calf (or calve) is still sore.

I emailed Runningwarehouse about refunding the $20 on my new shoes that went on sale after I ordered them.  Took them an hour to respond and credit my card.  Now that is great customer service.

Have a great Thirstday

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hello colony!!

Just got back from the orthopedic doctor. Great news all around. He was MUCH nicer than that obnoxious primary care doctor (who I will never go to again) who had told me that I should stop running forever and that no one should run because it ruins your body. This guy was very nice, and professional. He told me it is definitely ITBS, there is no way it is a ligament or meniscus and he doesn't even see a need for an MRI to confirm. He told me I am doing all the right things with the foam rolling, strength exercises, icing, and stretching. He told me to get back to running and just increase mileage slowly, that I was doing just the right thing by starting out with very short runs (ran 10 minutes this week at a 12 mm pace, and then ran one mile the next run), and that I can resume a normal running schedule but to increase mileage slowly. He gave me a referral for physical therapy, and I am waiting for a call back from the PT office to schedule an appointment. I have an INSANE work schedule and had to take the day off today to go to the doctor, so hopefully I will be able to schedule PT in with my crazy work schedule (I worked 13 hours yesterday). But I am very happy to get the news I was hoping for!!! He did give me this AWFUL knee brace though and told me to wear it to run. It is HUGE (over a foot long...goes mid thigh to mid calf) and it makes it really hard to bend my knee. Not sure if I will actually run in it.....anyone have experience with a brace like that? I did buy an ITB strap last weekend...may stick to that instead....

Since I had to take the entire day off my full-time job (we are not allowed to take half days) I don't have to work until my part-time job at 4:15....so I am just relaxing for now, and will probably go to the gym in a bit. Actually, I think I may run outside today and then go to the gym..... I HATE HATE the treadmill, but since I've been running less than 15 minutes a clip it has made more sense to me than to bundle up to go out and run for only a few minutes. But since time is not an issue and it's nice out (a brisk 28 degrees and sunny....the calm before the huge snow storm) and I have several hours on my hands right now, why not?! So happy Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Kristin, if you have the knee brace, I say go ahead and give it a try, especially if you had to buy it. I used one similar and the only thing was getting it adjusted, it would sometimes take a few attempts before I got it right. Run a little, stop to adjust, run a little, rinse and repeat.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin, if you have the knee brace, I say go ahead and give it a try, especially if you had to buy it. I used one similar and the only thing was getting it adjusted, it would sometimes take a few attempts before I got it right. Run a little, stop to adjust, run a little, rinse and repeat.

My insurance bought it Wink

I am going to run with it today...but if I hate it I'm going back to the ITB strap lol. One important question...over the tights or under???

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Singer who runs a smidge

Kristin, good news from the doctor!!  You might just try the brace and see if it helps.  I know Scottydog runs in braces on both legs -- maybe he can give you some tips.  But good news, all the way around!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Kristin: perhaps some tye dyed calf sleeves would help? Smile

Philliefan33

Good to hear, Kristen.  Just be patient with the miles build-up, do your strengthening exercises, and you'll be at full strength before you know it.

I've been playing around with the RA 'map a route' function as I eat my lunch.  I wanted to see how yesterday's hilly route compares to my Big Bertha route at the mountain house.  Turns out they are similar.  The hilly home route I ran yesterday was 407 feet of elevation gain (and back down) in 4.5 miles.  The Big Bertha route is 397 feet of gain in 6 miles, but 259 feet of that is in one continuos climb.

But it turns out I've been doing even more hill work than I realized.  I mapped out one of my regular "easy" routes that I run from my house, and it turns out that there is 452 feet of elevation gain in 5.5 miles!   That's more hill work than my "hilly" routes.  I guess it's no wonder that my easy pace is sometimes a little slow on that route.  They must be sneaky hills, that I didn't really consider that route a hill workout.  Note to self:  Do not try to do a tempo run on this route.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

hehe you know I love my calf sleeves! Still think you need some pink ones Smile

Kristin: perhaps some tye dyed calf sleeves would help? Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

On my phone.  Sorry.

Jack, Its a 5k.  Zel, Shootin for under 25.  Mitch, did you not get my response?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

183 likes!!!  Whoa!  Thank you guys!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

You break it, you buy it!

Well, I broke my software.  It's not exactly unexpected, this software is a little flaky, and I asked it to do something odd when I really knew better.  So I have to wait for an hour to see if my data run is completely munched or if it's salvageable.  No huge loss if it's dead, it was just standards.  But I was hoping to see how they came out.

Guess it's time for seminar prep!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Good news overall!

Hello colony!!

Just got back from the orthopedic doctor. Great news all around. He was MUCH nicer than that obnoxious primary care doctor (who I will never go to again) who had told me that I should stop running forever and that no one should run because it ruins your body. This guy was very nice, and professional. He told me it is definitely ITBS, there is no way it is a ligament or meniscus and he doesn't even see a need for an MRI to confirm. He told me I am doing all the right things with the foam rolling, strength exercises, icing, and stretching. He told me to get back to running and just increase mileage slowly, that I was doing just the right thing by starting out with very short runs (ran 10 minutes this week at a 12 mm pace, and then ran one mile the next run), and that I can resume a normal running schedule but to increase mileage slowly. He gave me a referral for physical therapy, and I am waiting for a call back from the PT office to schedule an appointment. I have an INSANE work schedule and had to take the day off today to go to the doctor, so hopefully I will be able to schedule PT in with my crazy work schedule (I worked 13 hours yesterday). But I am very happy to get the news I was hoping for!!! He did give me this AWFUL knee brace though and told me to wear it to run. It is HUGE (over a foot long...goes mid thigh to mid calf) and it makes it really hard to bend my knee. Not sure if I will actually run in it.....anyone have experience with a brace like that? I did buy an ITB strap last weekend...may stick to that instead....

Since I had to take the entire day off my full-time job (we are not allowed to take half days) I don't have to work until my part-time job at 4:15....so I am just relaxing for now, and will probably go to the gym in a bit. Actually, I think I may run outside today and then go to the gym..... I HATE HATE the treadmill, but since I've been running less than 15 minutes a clip it has made more sense to me than to bundle up to go out and run for only a few minutes. But since time is not an issue and it's nice out (a brisk 28 degrees and sunny....the calm before the huge snow storm) and I have several hours on my hands right now, why not?! So happy Smile

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

As to calf sleeves, are you using Zensahs?  They don't really have much compression so if you're using those, find some other tight ones that can help with the calves.

hehe you know I love my calf sleeves! Still think you need some pink ones Smile

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Margo, wish I had some of the PA hills to get ready for the Knoxville race.  I just don't know how well the TM is preparing me for 100' hills on the HM.

Joking