Beginners and Beyond

Race for a better place 5k, sub-19 & 2nd OA! (Read 65 times)

Mmmmm...beer

A friend of mine helped organize this race and asked if I would run it, I said yes of course, plus it's for a good cause.  I haven't done a 5k since last June, so I wasn't sure how it would go, all of my running has been distance, focused on the 50k in Dec and my marathon last month.

So I set out on a rainy Saturday to see what kind of speed my legs had in them.  Temps were perfect, right around 50*, and it wasn't raining too hard, just enough to stay cool.  There was also an 8k with the 5k, and both started together.  The 8kers would split off after about a half mile, while the 5kers did an out and back route.

Start - mile 1:

I got in an ok warmup, I was talking with some friends before the race and lost track of time, so only about a 1.5 mile warmup with a couple of strides, lil short of what I usually do, but I felt good.  After eyeing up the crowd (and having seen last year's results), I lined up right in front.  Horn blows and we're off.  After the first 10 yards or so, I realize, I'm out in front, wtf?  I check my watch to see if I've gone out crazy fast, 6 flat, right where I wanted to be.  Then some folks start catching up to me, ok that's a lil better.  After about a quarter mile, two guys take off ahead, too fast for me to go after, but there's still a few folks around me, so it's cool.  Then the 8kers split off to the right and I realize that everyone around me is running the 8k.  Suddenly, I'm all alone.  I look ahead and see one of the two guys that pulled away, the other guy must be doing the 8k.  Holy crap, I'm in 2nd place!

Mile 2:

I saw the leader after the turnaround, he was way too far ahead for me to even think about catching.  I also got to see the folks that were behind me, there was a young woman and two men probably a tenth or two of a mile behind me, close to enough to be dangerous if they didn't fade.  That gave me a little motivation, but I also realized that after the first mile, it's really hard to push yourself if there's no one around you.  At around 2.5 miles I hit a straight stretch and looked behind me and couldn't see anyone.  Two things happened, I realized that if I could hang on I would have 2nd place in the bag, but then at the same time my brain agreed, but also said that I don't have to kill myself to get 2nd place.  That's a hard place to be in, trying to push yourself while your brain is saying you can take it easy because you have no competition.  But I also wanted a PR, so I tried to hang on.

Mile 3:

Still. Completely. Alone.  I've found it easier to finish strong at the end of a long run out at my usual long run spot, because at least there are people out there, and while they may not care what I'm doing, there's still something motivational about knowing other people are watching.  I was actually hoping that someone would catch up to me so that I would get a lil motivation.  So not much to tell here, except for me trying to hold on and push as hard as I could.

.1:

Finally some motivation, always easier to dig deep and kick at the end.  Old school timing, no chips, pull your tag at the end of the race as they click off the times in order.

Official time: 18:57, 2nd place overall.  Hit my goal on my first 5k of the year, and my first OA placement in any race, couldn't be happier!

There were a couple of photographers, I'll post up those pics as soon as I find them.  Since the race is to race money, they kept the swag to a minimum, t-shirt and medal:

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Outstanding, D2. Nothing else. Just outstanding!

Wow, blazing fast, congrats.

Impressive to be able to keep up the pace when there's no one around to push you.

Dave

B-Plus

Congrats on the placing! It must be neat to be up front like that.

PADRunner

Congrats on a great race, and place.

Pinktastic

Dave, you really ROCKED it!  Way to go!   Imagine what you could do if the 5K was your focus!   Huge Congrats!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Dave!  Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  You ran a really good race.

delicate flower

That is really awesome, D2!  Great job!

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Jack!

Thanks Dave! It's crazy how hard it is to race when there's no competition to push you. It was like doing a time trial. lol

Thanks B+! It was a great feeling when I realized I was in 2nd place, that's never happened, I've only barely cracked top 10 a couple of times before this.

Thanks PAD!

Thanks Pink! I had told myself I wanted to focus on speed over the summer, but then I threw another marathon on the schedule for this fall, so we'll see. But I definitely want to at least do some speed work and see what I can do.

Thanks Damaris!

Thanks Ginny!

Thanks Phil!

One thing I love about 5Ks, you can just about kill yourself out there during the race, and then afterwards feel perfectly fine. Which is good, considering I have another one next weekend, and then another two weeks after that. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Congrats Dave!  You will be winning one sooner or later, for sure.  Great job.

It's tough to be in the no man's land where you're unchallenged but also realistically unable to catch anyone;  way to hang in there for the sub 19.

Not sure about "perfectly fine" right after a 5K though Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Jay!  Not sure I'd know what to do with myself if I won a race. lol  Maybe not perfectly fine, but definitely not as beat up as I feel after longer races.  Maybe that means I need to push harder? Wink

-Dave

My running blog

SheCan

Congratulations, Dave!  Another smoking fast race!   2nd over all is awesome.  I'm so not surprised you did so well.  That's a good looking medal.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Ric-G

very cool D2...congrats! way to hang on and finish strong!

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Holy crap, I'm in 2nd place!

Love that!

You are on some kind of roll here the last few weeks what with a Boston qualifier and now 2nd place in a 5k (that ain't easy!).  And to think the season is still in its baby stage.

Your comments about racing alone are unique to me, you sir need to find a mile so you can flat out have a footrace!

As it is great stuff Dave!  If you ever focus on speed you are going to blow that PR right out of the water!

What's next?