Beginners and Beyond

Wow, this is so sad....the 'official' university statement recently came out about this tragedy (Read 115 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I work at the University of Texas at San Antonio aka UTSA.  It was announced that our former women's basketball coach, Rae Blair,  was killed in a motorcycle accident.  The link to the story is below.  Apparently, she was on the upper level of the highway in the Austin area, lost control of her bike, and then she flipped over the rail from the top level and fell to the lower level.  Just awful.    She has had a time of it lately.  Her husband died in March this year, of complications from Alzheimer's and her younger brother died last October.  They were the only 2 kids in her family, so my heart really goes out to her parents who have now lost both their kids.

Gail and I knew her pretty well.  Blair was on the board for a while of the company Gail worked for and they worked on several projects together.  Also, Gail and I attended several functions (university dinners, games, etc) with Blair and her husband.  They were such nice people!  Her loss is such a tragedy, she still had so much to offer.  She was a really good person and very well liked by all.  This is very sad for all of us who knew her.

Crash Claims Life of Former UTSA Coach

http://www.kens5.com/community/blogs/featured-blogs/Former-UTSA-basketball-coach-killed-in-motorcyle-accident-in-Austin-265030761.html

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

That is tragic for the parents, Scotty. My heart hurts just thinking about what they must be going through. Sometimes, life is hard to make sense of. I am sorry for your and Gail's loss, and everyone else who knew her. She seemed like a really good person. I don't know anything about the afterlife, but I like to think that she's in good company now.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Pinktastic

Truly awful!  So sorry for your loss, Scotty - and for the university's loss as well!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

RSX

That is awful. Sorry for your loss Scotty.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Scotty that's terrible. Sad What a horrible time for that family.

- Andrew

Zelanie

Very sad for everyone involved.  My condolences.

SheCan

Sad  I'm sorry, Scotty.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks, everyone. I'm trying to stay busy and upbeat today so I won't think about it.  Cuz if I think about it, I may end up crying at my desk.

Poor Gail was an even closer friend than I was, she's having a pretty bad time of it.   And what makes it worse for her is that she had just lost another close friend last week and was just at HER funeral on Saturday...and then this happened on top of that.   I'm just gonna have to make sure I hug her  especially a whole lot this week.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Really sorry Scotty. That is horrible.

Love the Half

Really stinks when things like this happen.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

Very sad....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

skygazer

That's awful, especially for the family.

LRB

As a person that is very sad to read, as a biker even more so. You never like to hear stories like that either way though.