Beginners and Beyond

Neck gaiters that don't fog up glasses (Read 67 times)

Hip Redux

Got any recs?

I wear glasses running and my current neck gaiter (Smartwool) makes my glasses fog up when it's up over my nose and I can't see shit.   I had a Smartwool gaiter that had a little breathing hole thingy but I lost it and they don't seem to make that version any more.  So now I'm on the hunt for a new one.

MothAudio

Good luck with that. I have to wear my contacts whenever I wear my running scraf. Either that or pull it below my mouth.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

StepbyStep-SH

Try a buff (www.planetbuff.com) - they fit more tightly around your neck and chin.

This is the Polar Buff - half fleece, half a stretchy material. The dark blue around my neck is the fleece, then I pull the stretchy part up over my head and around my chin (floral pattern). It might still direct some breath up, but maybe not as much as a looser neck gaiter does.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

My vision is too bad for most contacts, so I've done lots of trial and error here.  I have a Buff, but I even get fogging with that...unless I use Quick Spit on my glasses.  The stuff is magical.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Shari, I have the same buff, but I wear it backwards of you - polar fleece part on my face with it pulled up around my hat on the back of my head.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Shari, you look freaking COLD in that photo. lol   The buff looks nice, I've added it to my santa wish list.

I should try the anti-fog stuff too.   I can't get away with contacts, that leads to a whole 'nother set of issues.

StepbyStep-SH

Shari, I have the same buff, but I wear it backwards of you - polar fleece part on my face with it pulled up around my hat on the back of my head.

I get too claustrophobic to put the fleece part over my face. I will pull the lighter fabric over my nose for a minute or two if absolutely necessary (we're talking -20* windchills and facing into the wind), but it isn't long before I feel like I'm suffocating and have to pull it down. I have never liked having anything over my face.

StepbyStep-SH

Shari, you look freaking COLD in that photo. lol   The buff looks nice, I've added it to my santa wish list.

I should try the anti-fog stuff too.   I can't get away with contacts, that leads to a whole 'nother set of issues.

You know, to generate that much frost, I must have been out there a long time. I can't remember now - I think that photo is from 2010. But if I stayed out for 2-3 hours, I must have been fairly comfortable.

LRB

Try a buff (www.planetbuff.com) - they fit more tightly around your neck and chin.

It sends a chill up my spine just looking at those pics!  lol   Brrr!

I have nothing to add, other than I love my Smartwool gaiter. Except for when I have it over my face for a while, then pull it down for a while because I am getting too warm, then when I go to pull it back up again the thing is frozen solid from breath condensation & sweat, and I have to wait till the heat from my face melts it before it can keep me warm. Repeat numerous times throughout the run.

And I wear contacts, I can't imagine how people can ever run in glasses. Not even thinking about the fogging, mostly just about the sweating. Oski - thought about Lasik?

My vision is too bad for most contacts, so I've done lots of trial and error here.  I have a Buff, but I even get fogging with that...unless I use Quick Spit on my glasses.  The stuff is magical.

What kind of vision do you have that is too bad for contacts?

Dave

LRB

I have nothing to add, other than I love my Smartwool gaiter.

I actually have not run with my face or head covered down to a -6 degree wind chill a couple of times last year.  So long as my ears are covered, I seem to be okay.

Hip Redux

And I wear contacts, I can't imagine how people can ever run in glasses. Not even thinking about the fogging, mostly just about the sweating. Oski - thought about Lasik?

Haven't.  I actually don't mind wearing glasses.  I consider them a fashion accessory.   

Smartwool is the bomb.

I actually have not run with my face or head covered down to a -6 degree wind chill a couple of times last year.  So long as my ears are covered, I seem to be okay, except for my hands which are like two blocks of ice. 

FYP.

But I don't know how you keep your face/head uncovered when it's that cold. That is the last area to get covered for me, but at mid-20s & below, I gotta have something. Even if I end up taking it off mid-run.

Dave

LRB

FYP.

Hilarious!

I cannot explain it myself.  My feet do not bother me either.

Haven't.  I actually don't mind wearing glasses.  I consider them a fashion accessory.   

Smartwool is the bomb.

Well LRB's fedora is a fashion accessory too, but I bet he doesn't wear it while running. Glasses are nothing but trouble in any athletic endeavor.

And +1 on Smartwool, don't even get me started on their socks.

Dave