Beginners and Beyond

Breaking brand new resolutions Wednesday Penguin dailies (Read 31 times)

obiebyke

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the caommon benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

obiebyke

Happy new year, 'guins! I'm up getting ready for my first 10K. Nervous! And I just got a text that my running partner is too sick to go, so I'm solo. Wish me luck!

Bin Running

Obie, good luck.

No running today but thinking of doing a short one later. Will see.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

LRB

Happy New Year Pens!  May 2014 bring you all your heart desires!

PADRunner

Good luck obie.  I'm getting ready to head out for my first 5k Trail Run.

tracilynn

Obie! Dont sweat it You got this! Have fun

pad, have fun on your trail 5k. Sounds fun.

hey LRB And bin!  my phone just autocorrected that to "bun".

ran 4 cold miles last night and woke up this morning with sore throat and snot action. Hoping its nothing. Would hate to start the new year sick. Argh.  A few miles later in the sunny 50s

Happy new year pens!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

LRB, hello!

PAD, good luck with that 5K trail.

Traci, hope it's nothing.. bun? haa.

Caved in and did 6M on the track since DW and kiddos are at in-law..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

obiebyke - I hope your 10k went well.  That's a nice way to start the new year.

Bin - good idea to take advantage of being solo to run.

LRB - happy new year to you too.

PAD - I hope you have a good place to run.  Some of our trails are very steep and rocky, but there are a few places that are a lot of fun to run.

Tracilynn - hopefully just cold induced rhinitis.  Drink lots of hot drinks to clear out the congestion.  Enjoy the sunshine while you have it.

AFM:  today isn't a running day, but it's about 10 degrees warmer than expected, so I may go do a few miles later. If the sun comes out, I definitely will.

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Happy new year! Got in 4.4 total on the treadmill yesterday (2 before lifting and 2.4 after. Actually wasn't too bad but in the future I'll try to split running and lifting morning/afternoon instead of trying to cram it all into the same workout!), 2.25 outside today.

On track for my second 20-mile week, I'm hoping that as I put in the miles more consistently it'll get easier but for now I'm still kind of intimidated by the numbers. After being plagued by shin splints for so long I can't quite believe that I'm actually running 6 days a week and 20 miles/week. Well, I guess it's believable when I look at the giant laundry mountain in my room that's made up of half running and gym clothes :P

obiebyke

Guys, I did it! My first 10K is in the books! The windchill when I got back to my car was -18F. I am an official badass.

From the Internet.

Woohoo, nice job Obie! Big grin

Traci, don't be sick! Hopefully a nice easy run in 50 degree weather will clear that up.

Pad, hope the trail 5k was fun! I'm intrigued by trail races but haven't gotten up the motivation to try them yet - I know there are trails near here that I could get in a few training runs on but I haven't explored them yet, maybe when the weather is nicer..

Docket_Rocket

Happy New Year, Penguins!  Went to bed at 3am so woke up late.  Trixie's follow up visit was this morning and she is doing great.  MLR tonight.

obie, good luck on your 10K.

Bin, enjoy the rest.

LRB, happy new year!

PAD, Good luck on your race.

Traci, hope you feel better soon.

Ginny, hope you get some miles in.

Lauren, nice runs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy New Year Penguins and others.

Good Luck Obie !!!

Hope it's Snot anything serious Traci.

We have about 6" of new snow and it's still coming down.  Might try a mile or 2 run/walk with the new YaxTrax if I can get talk DW into it.

Zelanie

Morning!  I think we're going to try to get some culture and visit the downtown museums today.  Yesterday we saw Inside Llewyn Davis since it's not playing in our area.  It was good, but not one of their best, I don't think.  SRD today, although I just realized that this is technically week 1 of my HM plan if I'm following Pfitz again.  I don't have the book with me, but I was able to copy my plan from last year into a new plan to at least get an idea for what I want to do this week

obie- Congrats!

Bin- Nice run!

LRB- Thanks!  You too!

PAD- Good luck!

Traci- I am sure that the warm temps will take care of that cold pronto!

Ginny- Sounds lovely!

Lauren- Sounds like you are doing great!  Holding at that level for a while instead of continuing to build sounds like the smart thing to do.

D- Glad Trixie is doing better!  Maybe she will tell the other kitties to calm down and eat.

Jerry- You have to go out if you have new YaxTrax!

Philliefan33

Happy New Year everyone!

I fell into slug-dom for a few days at the mountain house. No running, just sewing and reading. But I got back into the swing with eight miles today. Back to work tomorrow...boo hoo.