Beginners and Beyond

Jason's Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run RR (Read 179 times)

RunJasonRun

Here's my blog link for those who want to read the full report with photos.

Jason's Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run (Race Report)

Short version:

On December 2, 2012, I completed my third Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run with a finish time of 9:42:44 and improved on my previous course record by almost 20 minutes, placing 85 out of 118 finishers.

I struggled with knee pain during the final ten miles, because of apparent IT band tightness, but I still managed to pull a 40-mile ultramarathon out of my hat less than a month after my first 100-mile race and have some fun in the process.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Just B.S.

Jason, you rock!! Awesome job!!

This was very funny stuff!LOL

Jason, it's a beautiful day, isn't it?"
      "Yes, this is almost as beautiful as the day that I finished that 100-mile race."

"Jason, that was a terrible movie, wasn't it?"
      "Yes, watching that movie was almost as painful as Mile 74 of that 100-mile race that I finished."

"Jason, what did you think about the Presidential Election?"
      "Well, the President certainly has some challenges in store for him during his next term, just as I had many challenges during that 100-mile race that I finished."

Jess runs for bacon

He he, this race is like being pecked to death by baby ducks Tongue

Congrats on finishing after such a crazy run just a few weeks ago. Especially with some ITB problems. Those are bad enough on a short run! Are you foam rolling? That helps mine a lot, that or a deep tissue massage.

RunJasonRun

Congrats on finishing after such a crazy run just a few weeks ago. Especially with some ITB problems. Those are bad enough on a short run! Are you foam rolling? That helps mine a lot, that or a deep tissue massage.

Definitely foam-rolling a lot, and I will probably go in for a massage after this week.  I usually bounce back from these things pretty well, but I need to make sure this time.

Docket_Rocket

Awesome, Jason.  Your continued improvement is very inspiring!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunJasonRun

I know that some of you are going to want to see the bloody spot on the side of my head from the tree mishap, so here it is...

It's actually worse now, since this photo was taken the morning after the race.  A bit more bruise discoloration.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats, Jason!

Sorry about the tree mishap.  I bet the squirrels in the tree were impressed though, probably thinking, Wow, look at that BIG nut!"  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jess runs for bacon

Definitely foam-rolling a lot, and I will probably go in for a massage after this week.  I usually bounce back from these things pretty well, but I need to make sure this time.

Just a tip: if the massage doesn't make you want to scream out in pain, it's no good Tongue

I'm pretty sure that pic makes me glad I'm red/green colorblind.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Jason you are crazy 100 and 40 that close together. How is your knee now. Your log

says only 6 miles in October is that right.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

RunJasonRun

Jason you are crazy 100 and 40 that close together. How is your knee now. Your log

says only 6 miles in October is that right.

Nope.  I did not actually start my training log until I joined RunningAhead last week, but I decided to retroactively insert my PR race records for various distances, since I figure that's what most people will want to look up when they see the training log link by my name.  My 10K PR happened on October 27.  

I actually ran two marathons in early October while I was training for my 100.  

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Your progress has been awesome to watch.  I've seen many friends struggle with their running after 100s, so to get through this one like you did is great.  Congrats on the new course PR.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Wow! You are a beast, Jason! I am impressed that you pulled off a 40-miler just a few weeks after a 100-miler. Just as I am impressed that you finished that 100-miler at all. As always, great race report...and I am jealous of your ability to run on trails. We have no trails near me and I would love to be able to do that on occasion! Congrats on ending the year on a high note and take care of that knee!

camille2

I agree that your improvement has been really fun (and inspiring) to watch!  Congrats and rest that knee.

SheCan

Congratulations, Jason, you know you're always amazing!  I'm not surprised you get a bit beat up with your races. 

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson